Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colloms Hifi Critic 200 review
(03-Apr-2015, 13:01)Mikeeo Wrote:
(03-Apr-2015, 10:59)IanG-UK Wrote:
(03-Apr-2015, 10:35)Mikeeo Wrote: As a none UK forumite I would for sure appreciate some background to the Ann W comment.

Best/Mike

I've sent you a PM to explain!

Thanks Ian! PM:ed back already!

/Mike

Hope it didnt offend anyone, just tongue in cheek comment.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(03-Apr-2015, 10:52)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(02-Apr-2015, 21:22)Mikeeo Wrote: MC reviews have always been a mystery to me and my own listening experiences though at few times they concurred.

I also come from the Naim camp and Dev is def better in all areas. The thing is that the Dev really do PRAT so good it is just natural music coming out of the speakers as it doesn't leave a mark of it self like a product that is 'tuned' this or that way. 

Well we all have our experiences and opinions. 

/Mike

I've read the term Pace Rhythm and Timing a number of times in reviews but never understood what it stands for. If I wouldn't read it in the context of an amp, I woud think you were talking about the drummer... Can someone please enlighten me?

And the bass player... I guess if you have heard a lot of live music were the musicians really gel with each other to create a wholeness bigger than it parts that would be for me the live PRaT. Having that reproduced in you system well....

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(03-Apr-2015, 10:17)IanG-UK Wrote:
(02-Apr-2015, 22:05)Womaz Wrote: I heard Naim kit once and must admit I did like it ......but lets be honest it's the Ann Widdiecomb of hi fi  Smile

I think that post should get an award for the most pithy of the year!

So, you think he's taking the pith?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Since when does the 200 have Bluetooth?
I'm afraid I thought Mr Colloms was no longer with us, it's been so long since I have seen his name in print. I am relieved to see he is alive and well and still reviewing HiFi! To be sure, this is one of the old school reviewers who come from the era when Linn and Naim were omnipotent. The Devialet must be something of a shock for him! 
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
(02-Apr-2015, 21:52)Damon Wrote: Thanks Ian, for the teaser of the review. I'm totally comfortable with a review that finds the Devialet not to the author's liking; we all have audio preferences.

I think that reviews are most valuable when we feel we have some familiarity with the reviewers interests and preferences. Then we're reading opinions and commentary from someone we feel we know. Without having some understanding of his ears, it's hard to take issue with his opinion. I've never heard of him and I know nothing about his style or audio inclinations. At about $30.00 an issue the magazine is pricey; I'd be interested to know if anyone who subscribes thinks it is three times the value of Stereophile. As you say, not many will be familiar with him, though Paul Messenger is well-known.

I also love the PRaT of Naim equipment, I love the urgency and drive it has compared to the other similarly-priced equipment I've heard. But it is solidly true that I have lost nothing in the rhythm and drive department going from Naim to Devialet. And I've gained so much in the subtlety, depth, clarity and expression of the music that I could never go back. And the bass texture and detail in the Devialet is still something that I marvel at... and me with my 'umble D120.

I think that the number of knowledgable music enthusiasts (not people interested in just hi-fi) who have switched from Naim to Devialet is a telling counterpoint to the idea that PRaT is compromised with Devialet. I don't count myself among the wise or knowing crowd, but I do believe that the slim chrome boxes are amazing, both for sound quality and value.

Hi Damon

In the UK it is £60 for four quarterly issues so I guess it is $120 in Canada and the US. As a UK resident I like it more than Stereophile because it has a UK/International focus whereas understandably I find Stereophile to have a US/International focus. What's more, HiFi Critic takes no advertising which contributes to making it a nicer read (IMO) and is allegedly more impartial (though this would be disputed by some).

Its resulting tiny budget may contribute to the narrower range of brands seemingly available for review - and over its eight year life it has, IMO, moved more towards reviewing Naim at every opportunity. Perhaps because it is a brand which seems readily accessible to them. And the three main reviewers are all Naim users. I think this creates an undesirable slant on the review agenda - though I do think Martin Colloms remains the best reviewer I come across, for his obsession with detail, his technical knowledge, his ability to convey subjective impressions better than most, and his unique (?) willingness to adopt a robust scoring system which has been around for about 30 years.

The magazine's shortcomings, IMO, are particularly its narrow reviewer base, an overemphasis on pace/rhythm/timing (which seemingly inevitably correlates with all things Naim), and a scoring system which has become rather crazy over the years - with some well regarded CD players scoring 10 - 20 points and one player scoring 450 points.

Nevertheless, I still buy it from a decreasing choice of serious hifi magazines (3 or 4?) available in the UK.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Flattery is ...

Read my post numbered 2 here posted on 2nd April and then this remarkably similar post numbered 110 on 4th April on the Phantom Pink Fish thread:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showt...532&page=8

I await the royalties flooding in ...
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
That's a straight cut and paste of your comment isn't it?!

Here's the links to each, Ian's being the earlier by a day or two.
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...5#pid13325
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showp...tcount=110
I read the first sentence "...if this interpretation is correct" as if it should have a colon on the end, and then quote your words, Ian. Maybe I'm being unduly generous. Without a doubt, the poster should have made it obviously a quote and attributed it to you.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Copyright violation! Or Ian=John ?
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK