Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Fritz: Soulution 711 v Devialet 400
This will be interesting. Reviewing a $65000.- power amp to see if it is any better than a Devialet 400... not how much better it is.  Undecided  

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...nd-in-2015
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(01-Apr-2015, 12:53)Pim van Vliet Wrote: This will be interesting. Reviewing a $65000.- power amp to see if it is any better than a Devialet 400... not how much better it is.  Undecided  

Well, listening to the 170 at the time before 200 told me that this is something you usually pay loads of money to get. The rest is history and today there has been no other brand to challenge this even if I didn't put effort in looking for a replacement. 
One guy comments that he tried the 710 at home but his D800 left it in the dust. Talk about good p/p ration for the Dev.

As I said before, after I bought the Devialet(s) I stopped reading reviews and buying magazines.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(01-Apr-2015, 12:53)Pim van Vliet Wrote: This will be interesting. Reviewing a $65000.- power amp to see if it is any better than a Devialet 400... not how much better it is.  Undecided  

Very Interesting!

Looks like the Soulution's Damping Factor is >10,000 versus the Devialet's 8,000

Other measurements... Soulution's peak power is 6000W v Devialet's 3000W

Devialet seems to beat Soulution on a few other specs though... SNR and THD+N  

Anyway measurements like these don't always tell the full story but it's fun to compare nonetheless!   Big Grin

Also with the Devialet it's difficult to separate the amp bit... so I guess you would have to compare to a fully fledged Soulution system, unless you fed the 711 from a 200 or 250 pre-out!  Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
The Goldmund preamp and monos which I replaced by my dual D-Premiers are no longer made but the latest version of the preamp, which has a separate power supply and balanced connections (which are now in fashion but Goldmund consider are worse due to extra complexity) and the equivalent monoblocs list at just over €200,000. If one includes DAC and phono stage add at least another €50,000. I would not say that the Devialet was "much better" but it is certainly notably quieter and sounded very similar, which no other amp I have tried ever has.
FWIW
I still think the Devialets are bargains.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Apr-2015, 10:33)f1eng Wrote: The Goldmund preamp and monos which I replaced by my dual D-Premiers are no longer made but the latest version of the preamp, which has a separate power supply and balanced connections (which are now in fashion but Goldmund consider are worse due to extra complexity) and the equivalent monoblocs list at just over €200,000. If one includes DAC and phono stage add at least another €50,000. I would not say that the Devialet was "much better" but it is certainly notably quieter and sounded very similar, which no other amp I have tried ever has.
FWIW
I still think the Devialets are bargains.

The Devialet was for me a no brainer bargain compared to other manufacturers offerings and pricing as I couldn't motivate my self (and wife) to spend +50 000 USD just for amplification. 

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK