Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Gold vs 2 Classic (2000W) after DOS2
(01-Nov-2019, 10:13)kmjy Wrote:
(01-Nov-2019, 09:05)ragwo Wrote:
(01-Nov-2019, 06:58)kmjy Wrote: Honestly, the drivers are capable of producing at full volume. It completely depends on your setup and if there’s bass overlap in your room. I’ve experimented with this and if I manage to get a perfect listening space the bass continues to increase all the way up to 100%, on Classic, Silver, and Gold. They’re designed for the maximum output they’re allowed to do. They’re designed for more but it’s locked. Even in the Gold. 4500@108dB is not the hardware limit.

If I’m in a bad environment and try it then as I go past 75% or so the bass starts to become underwhelming or lacks attack. The drivers are still continuing to gain more excursion to keep up with the volume increase but I am sure there’s just too much power going into the room and it causes bass overlap which cancels a lot of it out.

When I try this outdoors or in a large open space without a lot of objects the bass follows the mix in its entirely all the way up to 100% volume on all Phantom. It continues to stay deep and composed, it can still output a solid low end that is present in the mix exactly as it is at lower volumes. To design a speaker capable of 108dB and yet have the woofers cut off around 98dB would be stupid. They can and do output accurately at maximum volume.

The bass on the Classics after this latest update has been tuned or phased differently because now in the same room as previously for me where it would begin to sound cut above 75%, it now stays composed all the way to 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, but I'm not sure about that. Here are the frequency responses listed at Devialet.com for the Silver back in 2015 before Devialet started obscuring the specifications. 

16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 82dB SPL, 28Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 92dB SPL, 49Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 102dB SPL

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-SAM-bass...5#pid21385

The original Silvers are less capable than the Silvers today, or the Golds in terms of bass response and total woofer output. Why do you think original Phantom speakers cannot upgrade to DOS2. DOS2 tweaks the signal processing for the woofers to expand on their response even more, maybe now to their limits. There have been small hardware tweaks done to all the speakers throughout the years. Tweaked woofers, ADH2, SAM2, ect. The Gold had the latest iteration of the Devialet woofer (further total excursion, better heat management, and beefier internal materials/magnets) as well as ADH2 and the others soon got that hardware addition too. Speakers without the hardware tweaks were software upgraded to come as close as possible to the upgraded ones but they still have similar specs to the release specs. The audible bass response is accessible across the entire volume range on all speakers with Bluetooth and AirPlay chipsets.

Again, I find it really hard to believe that small hardware tweaks can make the speakers gain 20 dB in the low end. Do you have measurements or sources backing up your claim? I've owned both the first and second generation of Silver and I have two Golds, and the step up from 1. gen Silver to Gold was considerable but not 20 dB raise in the low end at high volumes. We could agree to disagree in this manner or continue the discussion in another thread or on PM. We're getting way off topic.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(01-Nov-2019, 11:22)Jm93 Wrote: So in other words the latest Classics have the same bass as silver and gold. Only at higher volumes that the silver and gold surpasses in loudness, not bass performance.

Yes, bass performance is the same on all speakers due to the same identical hardware, except the Gold can go lower due to more power to push the identical woofers that the other speakers have.

With DOS2 all speakers gained the capability to play the lowest rated bass for the model at the highest possible volume.

Devialet Phantom (White)
For a reminder : https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/12/0...ir-review/

This is one of the best Phantom review of all time. He states it pretty clear. For everyday music, Silver are amazing. For audiophile people, it's the Gold which is mandatory.

But the extra money will only get your "clearer" voices and more "classical" capability !

Remember that hardware is the same on all 3 Phantoms except the titanium twitter on the Gold. All other differences stay relative to the software running.
2 x Phantom Reactor 600W - Stereo
I'm gonna go for two Classics then, the software upgrade that they got has convinced me that it will be more than enough, and finally in stereo. And I do actually have a 50 day return policy with the Classics as well, even though I don't want to be that guy.. Can't wait! I just wish that the stands weren't so expensive!!
Man, that's a solid choice.

And considering the fact that Devialet stops selling Silvers, you won't be disappointed AT ALL !!
2 x Phantom Reactor 600W - Stereo
The Silver line is currently on sale and is now pushed to 3000Watts
The Classic may have a narrower sound scene when compared to the Silver, the extra power of the Silver may reduce this...
I would wait and see the next revision that will certainly include changes (control buttons) seen of the Reactor.
In 6 months I bet there will be a radical changes and a new hardware...
Please excuse my poor reputation
(03-Nov-2019, 17:14)daibaron Wrote: The Silver line is currently on sale and is now pushed to 3000Watts
The Classic may have a narrower sound scene when compared to the Silver, the extra power of the Silver may reduce this...
I would wait and see the next revision that will certainly include changes (control buttons) seen of the Reactor.

Silver has always been 3000 watts. It’s never had a power boost. I am not so sure it’s being discontinued but we’ll see.

Devialet Phantom (White)
(03-Nov-2019, 17:18)kmjy Wrote:
(03-Nov-2019, 17:14)daibaron Wrote: The Silver line is currently on sale and is now pushed to 3000Watts

Silver has always been 3000 watts. It’s never had a power boost. I am not so sure it’s being discontinued but we’ll see.

My bad... but is till 3000W
The "soon" old gens Phantom premier will certainly suffer of their flawed design.
(03-Nov-2019, 17:23)daibaron Wrote:
(03-Nov-2019, 17:18)kmjy Wrote:

My bad... but is till 3000W
The "soon" old gens Phantom premier will certainly suffers of their flawed design.

Doesn’t seem like a bad design. My Classics sound dramatically better since the newest update. The widest, most open and clearest they’ve ever sounded. On level with the Golds, just less powerful. They could benefit from the ADH3 chip and SAM3 in the Reactors but SAM3 is software based and is able to be pushed to existing Premiers. There’s not really anything flawed about their design. I’m not sure. They got named Premier after the Reactor launch because they are very well still many times better than the Reactors.
Devialet Phantom (White)
You're talking about the sound I was talking about usability, integration...
In 10 years how will you control the audio volume if the app is not updating of installing anymore on newer devices...
Physical control buttons would have made the difference.