Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR
(07-Aug-2014, 12:36)Vivialet Wrote: AIR via WLAN or Ethernet ?

Both.

Nevermind, read it wrong...
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands

My Mac streams wireless to the switch (Apple Airport Extreme) which is then connected to the Devialets via wired Ethernet. So it is the Ethernet AIR. This to me sounds better than all the way with cables since I have to use a long run of ethernet from the MAC to the switch. And I could not put my hands on a good sounding long ethernet cable (the best I have is a 10m Meicord, which did not prove very useful).
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(07-Aug-2014, 12:58)Kunter Wrote:

My Mac streams wireless to the switch (Apple Airport Extreme) which is then connected to the Devialets via wired Ethernet. So it is the Ethernet AIR. This to me sounds better than all the way with cables since I have to use a long run of ethernet from the MAC to the switch. And I could not put my hands on a good sounding long ethernet cable (the best I have is a 10m Meicord, which did not prove very useful).

Let's agree that name 'AIR' is a bit confusing, especially on the Devialet screen. If you select the 'AIR' source, they mean Wifi.
I've never known - does streaming via the Ethernet connection require the AIR card?i know AIR stands for 'Asynchronous Intelligent Route' but I have no idea how that relates to what does what inside!
(07-Aug-2014, 09:08)Umetaro Wrote: I used to use USB or AES/EBU via Stello U3 DDC as I experienced frequent dropouts with AIR. Recently I retried AIR wifi with iTunes and found no dropouts and sound quality is superb. I also like simplicity of AIR with no need for cable.

Only downside would be I need to turn on AIR App when listening. As I use headless Mac mini, this is an additional procedure compared with AES/EBU. Also Apple remote is less convenient than Jremote.

Now that AIR is stable, what is a rationale to get Aries or other players? Any advantage for such separate players in terms of sound quality or usability?

This is my opinion too. Air works without problems for me. Why use anything else? Its cable can't be bettered ;-) there is only one master clock, in the Devialet. By what mechanism could any of the other methods be superior?

I tried UPnP about 4 years ago (a Linn Klimax DS on loan for a week at home) and didn't like the functionality, though it sounded fine. Back then it crashed too often to be considered domestic audio in our opinion.

I started off with a headless Mac mini and also found remote desktop a pita so I bought an iMac from the Apple refurbished store and it is dedicated to music and the Devialet. The huge screen gives me the possibility to look at the album artwork as big as when I had LPs too.

My most used source is still my CD transport with the iMac running Air second with my FM tuner and my TT and SUT vying for third/fourth.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(07-Aug-2014, 09:08)Umetaro Wrote: Only downside would be I need to turn on AIR App when listening. As I use headless Mac mini, this is an additional procedure compared with AES/EBU. Also Apple remote is less convenient than Jremote.

Now that AIR is stable, what is a rationale to get Aries or other players? Any advantage for such separate players in terms of sound quality or usability?

On the sound quality side there is nothing that can be gained from using a separate streamer. On usability side, well... since you already have a headless Mac as a music device, I guess there is nothing there either.

I usually prefer a dedicated streamer (IMO nothing bets Sonos in usability) rather than a separate computer, but these things depend on your personal preference.
Seemingly nobody is claiming a separate player provides better sound quality than AIR at least in this thread. On the other hand, Kunter mentioned that a battery powered Macbook Pro sounds much better than Mac mini. So is a battery powered or a linear power supplied Mac/PC the way to go?
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
(08-Aug-2014, 08:46)Umetaro Wrote: Seemingly nobody is claiming a separate player provides better sound quality than AIR at least in this thread.

At least in theory, packet based data traffic with error detection and resending should provide perfect results in data transmission, making it superior to S/PDIF and USB. So anything external has an inferior
transmission route. This is partly why I'd really like to see UPnP/OpenHome support in Devialet itself.

(08-Aug-2014, 08:46)Umetaro Wrote: On the other hand, Kunter mentioned that a battery powered Macbook Pro sounds much better than Mac mini. So is a battery powered or a linear power supplied Mac/PC the way to go?

I doubt there is a difference, but what I've learned in hifi is never say never Wink I haven't tested it so I can't be sure.

The reason for my skepticism is that if a device has a working network interface, be it wireless or ethernet, it should not have any effect on the packets traveling between network nodes. The only difference would come from the other device stuffing inferior bits to the packets being sent and well, I see no reason in that happening either.
(08-Aug-2014, 10:09)jjo Wrote:
(08-Aug-2014, 08:46)Umetaro Wrote: Seemingly nobody is claiming a separate player provides better sound quality than AIR at least in this thread.

At least in theory, packet based data traffic with error detection and resending should provide perfect results in data transmission, making it superior to S/PDIF and USB. So anything external has an inferior
transmission route. This is partly why I'd really like to see UPnP/OpenHome support in Devialet itself.

(08-Aug-2014, 08:46)Umetaro Wrote: On the other hand, Kunter mentioned that a battery powered Macbook Pro sounds much better than Mac mini. So is a battery powered or a linear power supplied Mac/PC the way to go?

I doubt there is a difference, but what I've learned in hifi is never say never Wink I haven't tested it so I can't be sure.

The reason for my skepticism is that if a device has a working network interface, be it wireless or ethernet, it should not have any effect on the packets traveling between network nodes. The only difference would come from the other device stuffing inferior bits to the packets being sent and well, I see no reason in that happening either.

I was at the dealer in HK - tried to compare SPDIF input from a weiss MAN 301 into devialet vs. AIR from macbook. Same file. The Weiss MAN 301 sounded better. hands down.

To me this was interesting - I always thought the packet based data traffic with error detection and resending should provide perfect results in data transmission, making it superior to S/PDIF and USB - however, I guess something else is going-on. May be it was the renderer of WEISS vs. amarra in macbook? May be it was SPDIF vs. Ethernet cable? May be it was the treatment of data input within devialet? I don't know.

I haven't tried macbook USB vs. AIR. Would appreciate if anyone could share their insight.
(08-Aug-2014, 11:08)warpeon Wrote: I was at the dealer in HK - tried to compare SPDIF input from a weiss MAN 301 into devialet vs. AIR from macbook. Same file. The Weiss MAN 301 sounded better. hands down.

Now we have someone saying a separate player, Weiss MAN 301 in this case, is superior to AIR. Given that MAN301 costs US$10,000, I imagine that MAN 301 is equipped with a good quality power supply. I am wondering if Macbook Pro sounds better than or equal to MAN 301 with a high quality power supply, either battery or linear power.

(08-Aug-2014, 11:08)warpeon Wrote: I haven't tried macbook USB vs. AIR. Would appreciate if anyone could share their insight.

With Mac Mini, I find no noticeable difference between USB and AIR.
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha