Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
Thanks to all.
Very interesting read so far and a lot to think about.
As for buying a second 200 these are very rare now on the second hand market in UK with mostly 220 pro every now and then (why...).
To be honest I've never really considered to go dual mono as you also need 2 power cables and heard about some configuration problems .

What's strange from the weberan post is that he put 400 over 250 pro ci -what ive read previously most people agreed that even the standard expert 250 was above it....
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
This winter, I had the chance to compare the given combination and somehow, even if I have different speakers today, it is the same experience when I compared the 120, the 200 and 400 with each other:

The single case versions are missing something: stage, dynamics: and I have no idea why: they also sound better.

For the upgrades, I can only quote on a direct comparison of the 400 to the 440 pro ci: the 440 pro is better and it is worth the money for a system which has no flaws otherwise.

Gauder Berlina RC7 mk2 > Devialet 1000 Pro > Mac Mini > Audirvana
There was a time I struggled with the same... I bought a D200 with the intent to eventually add a 2nd for a D400. But then Devialet released the 220/440 Pro CI. I ended up replacing my D200 with a D220 Pro CI. To my ears, the improvement was in refinement, detail and clarity. While there was certainly something magical about the D200, the D220 was a nice improvement Since then I added a 2nd 220 Pro to make a 440 Pro. I think going from a D220 to a D440 was a bigger jump than D200 to D220.

Good luck with the decision. There is no bad one.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(07-May-2021, 01:17)mdconnelly Wrote: There was a time I struggled with the same... I bought a D200 with the intent to eventually add a 2nd for a D400.  But then Devialet released the 220/440 Pro CI.  I ended up replacing my D200 with a D220 Pro CI.  To my ears, the improvement was in refinement, detail and clarity.  While there was certainly something magical about the D200, the D220 was a nice improvement    Since then I added a 2nd 220 Pro to make a 440 Pro.  I think going from a D220 to a D440 was a bigger jump than D200 to D220. 

Good luck with the decision.  There is no bad one.

Thanks
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
(04-May-2021, 21:11)winiar560 Wrote: Hello.
Can't see many posts recently I've decided to make one.
I own a Devialet expert 200 for a few years already ,using it with audio physic virgo5 .
I am happy how it sounds overall especially after adding some acoustic treatment to the room.
From some time I've got an upgrade itch .
So thinking of making one of these steps:
1. Upgrade 200 to 220 pro ci through devialet (most obvious. Cost 2100£

2.Upgrading my speakers to say Max up to 3000£ incl money earned from sale of mine also.

3.Investing about 2000£  into a mains conditioner plus power cable (thinking about Puritan audio here)

4.Another option I do think sometimes is to sell my 200 and buy D-premier (with the intention to upgrade it to 250 pro though devialet upgrade in couple of years time)
5.Any other suggestions?

What do you guys think?
Does any of you been in this situation?
What you've done and why?
Which move will give me the most ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

KW

This is my very - positive - experience

1 - Upgrade From D200 to D220 Pro Ci
2 - home audio fidelity DRC
3 - passive treatment of the room
4 - Audioquest nrg z3
Clearaudio Solution Cmb - Clearaudio Syncro Power - Achromat - The Wand Plus II - AT Oc9 III - Nuc Cirrus7  Roon Rock - Cisco sg200-08 - D220 Expert Pro Ci - PMC LB1 Signature with SAM - Egglestonworks Fontaine II - 2x BK 200Xls ff Mk2 - Meicord Eth - Siltech New York - Audioquest Nrg Z3 - HAF Drc

Marietto - Italia
Having owned Audio Physics speakers (tempo 25) and moved on to Sonus Faber the level of additional resolution was substancial. This leads me to think that the Audio Physics have a certain limit. Upgrading the D may not improve things as much as possible. I'd audition speakers first. Often you can try them at home as well.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(07-May-2021, 21:11)iamwappie Wrote: Having owned Audio Physics speakers (tempo 25) and moved on to Sonus Faber the level of additional resolution was substancial. This leads me to think that the Audio Physics have a certain limit. Upgrading the D may not improve things as much as possible. I'd audition speakers first. Often you can try them at home as well.

Good suggestion. iamwappie...
Although the audio physic virgo is higher model than tempo in their range.
Had a chance to compare my virgo 5 to tempo plus which is 2 generation newer than 25 and I would say it had a little bit more details ,quite a wider soundstage but the same time sounded to warm in comparison,Vigo 5 were more transparent,clear.
Also interesting that on different firmware on devialet expert 250 sounded better on mine speakers then on other one better on tempo plus (strange)
Virgo is in a completely different league than Tempo afaic. Have had both, but there is no comparison.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(05-May-2021, 20:04)kerkhoffd Wrote: Biggest upgrade since my upgrade to 400 was the recent installing a GigaWatt breaker by the way, which gave me more refinement and dynamics because of better current deliverance. These amps are pretty sensitive when it comes to the quality of power directed to them.

If you got an improvement in current delivery by changing out circuit breakers it's time to get an electrician to have a good look at your meter box, because unless your meter box is corroded to the point of falling apart, there's no way on earth a circuit breaker is going to have any influence at all. None whatsoever. 

Looks like you've fallen for the sales technique of a snake oil salesman.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Not really Pim. I am quite a sceptic in these things. So best to avoid voicing an opinion until you’ve tried yourself is my credo. Did you try to improve power delivery to and power conditioning for your Devialet? Clear to hear the difference if you try.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands