Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Music Lossless, HiRes, and Masters
Apple is teasing a special announcement later this week…. 
And someone has already found the new logo images in the source code of the Apple Music web app.
Also the android app now has support references for two ‘lossless’ bit rates: 24-bit/48kHz and 24-bit/192kHz.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/16/lossless-...ouncement/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I hope 24/48 doesn’t require AirPlay 3 or something that my new 108’s can’t do. Sad
https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/17/apple-mus...ial-audio/

TL,DR:
Lossless: a wired headphone (except for AirPods Max with Lightning/3.5mm cable)
Hi Res Lossless: a wired headphone connected to an external DAC
Spatial Audio: any AirPods or Beats model with Apple’s W1 or H1 chip (Apple says that users can manually enable this option for other headphones)

I'm not sure what the Phantoms will support but, if anything, it looks like it would have to be wired.
I have been following the discussion on the Roon forum.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/apple-m...159869/102

It does appear currently, that Apple will not provide Roon with an API. So you will not get the integration into Roon that we currently get with Tidal/Qobuz.

For many of us that use our Devialet as a streamer, Roon's direct integration of Devialet Air and the following RAAT implementation has been a blessing. Without Roon I am not sure how I will stream to my Devialet. The stand alone version of Air was terrible. I for one, cannot remember the last time I actually streamed music from my own HDD via Roon. Tidal has all the music I own myself (obviously plus thousand of additional albums) and I only use Roon as a front-end to browse Tidal and to stream via RAAT to my Devialet.

If Apple Music is indeed a worthy competitor for Tidal but without API access for Roon, and one does decide to switch to Apple Music, it will mean that you will have to cast Roon aside. What are the options then for direct streaming to a Devialet?

I have never used Airplay on my Devialet. To be honest, I am not even sure if the Expert Pro supports Airplay2 which I believe to have a maximum capable stream of 24/48.

Devialet 440PRO CI/ Mola Mola Tambaqui + Kalugas / Vivid Audio Giya G2
Cape Town, South Africa
I fiddled some time trying to get Airplay to resolve any musical signal higher than 24bit 48kHz.
Whether using a Mac or a Windows computer, what the computer was transmitting and what was displayed on the Devialet’s display seldom matched

Since the computers and the amp are in the same room, a LAN cable does the job for me
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
(18-May-2021, 16:38)Drifter Wrote: I have been following the discussion on the Roon forum.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/apple-m...159869/102

It does appear currently, that Apple will not provide Roon with an API. So you will not get the integration into Roon that we currently get with Tidal/Qobuz.

For many of us that use our Devialet as a streamer, Roon's direct integration of Devialet Air and the following RAAT implementation has been a blessing. Without Roon I am not sure how I will stream to my Devialet. The stand alone version of Air was terrible. I for one, cannot remember the last time I actually streamed music from my own HDD via Roon. Tidal has all the music I own myself (obviously plus thousand of additional albums) and  I only use Roon as a front-end to browse Tidal and to stream via RAAT to my Devialet.

If Apple Music is indeed a worthy competitor for Tidal but without API access for Roon, and one does decide to switch to Apple Music, it will mean that you will have to cast Roon aside. What are the options then for direct streaming to a Devialet?

I have never used Airplay on my Devialet. To be honest, I am not even sure if the Expert Pro supports Airplay2 which I believe to have a maximum capable stream of 24/48.

Thanks Drifter, you sum up my questions too on streaming Apple Music hifi to Phantom wirelessly if not via Roon or AIR. 
I can connect my computer to my Expert Pro by USB, so that's fine. But no USB on a Phantom. Airplay 2 currently is limited, perhaps that will change, and no Airplay 2 on current Expert Pro firmware. I'm hoping this will become clearer soon. I unfamiliar with Apple Music, but now considering it. I don't know if Apple Music will use an ethernet connection to the Phantom at high-res?
My guess is at WWDC 2021 Apple will expand the audio formats acceptable to AirPlay 2, beyond the current CD quality ones. That might require client apps to be updated. AirPlay 2's structure has the capacity in handling, band-width and buffering.
Or airplay 3