Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At Long Last I Have Experienced Phantom!
I think we're going to get some worried dealers with gear to shift bad mouthing these babies. From my experience of my Phantoms, the sound is the exemplary aspect of the package which will make a lot of current offerings redundant in terms of sound performance.

I've heard similar comments of "a lot of noise but no music" on other forums which actually apart from a good and tired old soundbite, says nothing at all.

Well done Devialet with the Phantom product and I wish them and dealers every success.
(19-Jun-2015, 16:49)EvPa Wrote:
(19-Jun-2015, 11:25)michirishi Wrote: What I am curious about is if there are folks who play their Phantoms really, really, 'insanely loud' (like >80) during more than like 10 seconds (not to speak of a whole album Confused ).
I went beyond 75 only once, when I listened to Bohemian Rhapsody at 100...

I turned mine up to 85+ today when my Son came home from Uni with some Bass Heavy content that I thought would over drive the speaker. Apart from having to leave the room to view from afar, I think the speakers must have a SAM profile built into prevent the drivers from being overdriven.
I think this is part of the expert range SAM profiling so it's probably the same with the Phantom.
(19-Jun-2015, 18:52)superstock Wrote: I turned mine up to 85+ today when my Son came home from Uni with some Bass Heavy content that I thought would over drive the speaker. Apart from having to leave the room to view from afar, I think the speakers must have a SAM profile built into prevent the drivers from being overdriven.
I think this is part of the expert range SAM profiling so it's probably the same with the Phantom.

The Phantom concept would have been impossible without SAM.

It was its effectiveness heard during the development of the Phantom which led to the release of the "Expert" models with more DSP than the D-Premier so that SAM could be added to the capability of the Expert range.

So yes SAM is in the Phantom and technically pre-dates SAM for the Expert range, though not actual public availability.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(19-Jun-2015, 10:12)earsnova Wrote:
(18-Jun-2015, 20:35)f1eng Wrote:
(18-Jun-2015, 20:03)krass Wrote:
(16-Jun-2015, 19:48)Paul @ HiFi Lounge Wrote: I really can't help thinking that Devialet have done an Apple here and come up with a product that no one really needs but everyone will want once they see it in action and hear it, much like the iPad.

I had my first listen at Harrods a couple of weeks ago; for the price I think they are very good but I'd like to see what early adopters think when they've used them a few months, especially whether the mid- quality is there or whether they become a bit fatiguing after a while. 

as for Apple product comparison, I would like to see more than white. I think many people will not be able to accommodate them unless they have very modern decor; other colour/finish options would greatly expand their market......

Very interesting product though......
mike

I have had mine about 3 months now.

I find the sound very clear without being harsh.

I am not completely satisfied overall, but not due to sound quality.

They are very much targeted at computer or off-internet streaming music, and as a mainly classical music listener I have found tagging files inconvenient and frustrating on all the software I have tried and as is usually the case sound is inadequately gapless so many classical recordings are hopeless to listen to other than CD. CDs are OK via an optical input, as long as one has a good quality optical output, of course and I have no way of comparing with wired connections since there are none..
3 months that seem a long time, I have heard it several times now and no music comes out. I can see that Paul spends time uploading pictures and has evidently no time to listen carefully. In audio impressive generally does not mean long lasting pleasure, I know now of 5 individuals that have resold or gifted their phantom. The point here is that a music system is merely designed to play music, anything else is marketing. Paul keep on posting the pictures have you got some coloured ones to show us?

Hey Paul - It looks like you've been Tangoed !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No Music came out? No music at all? I've told you a million times... don't exaggerate!
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.