Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Audioquest NRG Z3 power cord
(31-Jan-2019, 06:07)Damon Wrote:
(31-Jan-2019, 00:03)awkaplan Wrote: I would suggest going up a notch—get the Shunyata Delta EF.  Makes Z3 sound thin in comparison.
Not just a notch, but a wallop. $300.00 vs $1800.00. Personally, I start with the AQ Z3 cord. A power cord that costs 20% of the amp is a hard pill to swallow. If, however, you are looking in that price range, there are many other cable companies that make excellent cables, and which may suit your system and ears for much less. Consider Wywires, for example. Or Analysis Plus.

But I repeat my own endorsement, and echo that of others, RE the AQ Z3 cable: try it.  And I say that after having trialed a Shunyata EF cable at home in my own system.... yes, really.

The Delta EF is around $500.  Excellent deal and synergy with the Expert Pro.
(31-Jan-2019, 00:03)awkaplan Wrote: I would suggest going up a notch—get the Shunyata Delta EF.  Makes Z3 sound thin in comparison.
Not just a notch, but a wallop. $300.00 vs $1800.00. Personally, I start with the AQ Z3 cord. A power cord that costs 20% of the amp is a hard pill to swallow. If, however, you are looking in that price range, there are many other cable companies that make excellent cables, and which may suit your system and ears for much less. Consider Wywires, for example. Or Analysis Plus.

But I repeat my own endorsement, and echo that of others, RE the AQ Z3 cable: try it.  And I say that after having trialed a Shunyata EF cable at home in my own system.... yes, really.

The audioquest Z3 is really a no brainer, also on the devialet phantoms and even on liniar power supply's, LPS.
Just try it
(31-Jan-2019, 06:59)awkaplan Wrote: The Delta EF is around $500.  Excellent deal and synergy with the Expert Pro.

Must have been a different Shunyata EF cord I had.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(31-Jan-2019, 14:38)Johnnydev Wrote:

The audioquest Z3 is really a no brainer, also on the devialet phantoms and even on liniar power supply's, LPS.
Just try it

Tried it and found it underwhelming once exposed to other cables in that price range.   Synergistic Research even has the Red/Black/Blue series in the sub-$500 Range. The Lending Library at thecableco.com will allow you to try a variety of cables. It’s not that it’s a bad cable; I just don’t see the cost/performance benefits when a $99 Shunyata Venom 14 can keep pace with the Z3 (both 14 gauge funny enough). Btw, Synergistic will make a lower-profile IEC connector available on request for their entry-level lines.
(31-Jan-2019, 21:37)awkaplan Wrote:
(31-Jan-2019, 14:38)Johnnydev Wrote:
(31-Jan-2019, 06:07)Damon Wrote: Not just a notch, but a wallop. $300.00 vs $1800.00. Personally, I start with the AQ Z3 cord. A power cord that costs 20% of the amp is a hard pill to swallow. If, however, you are looking in that price range, there are many other cable companies that make excellent cables, and which may suit your system and ears for much less. Consider Wywires, for example. Or Analysis Plus.

Just try it

Tried it and found it underwhelming once exposed to other cables in that price range.   Synergistic Research even has the Red/Black/Blue series in the sub-$500 Range. The Lending Library at thecableco.com will allow you to try a variety of cables. It’s not that it’s a bad cable; I just don’t see the cost/performance benefits when a $99 Shunyata Venom 14 can keep pace with the Z3 (both 14 gauge funny enough). Btw, Synergistic will make a lower-profile IEC connector available on request for their entry-level lines.

Never did listen to the Z3 to the Shunyata Delta EF and suspect it is a great cable but there is no way the Venom is in the same league, IMHO.  Had a few in the past.
Delta EF is a very good upgrade over stock NRG cable that came with Devialet. I agree that Venom is not in the same league to use with Devialet. Venoms are good for source/transports though.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(01-Feb-2019, 21:06)sam1000 Wrote: Delta EF is a very good upgrade over stock NRG cable that came with Devialet.  I agree that Venom is not in the same league to use with Devialet. Venoms are good for source/transports though.
I agree, I'm using Delta EF's into my D1000 Pro (couldn't have the Delta NR's as the Dev covers wouldn't fit) and Venom into Innuos Zenith, they are a real improvement over stock cables, I tried various NRG cables but none came close.

Also beware of counterfeit AQ cables, I know of folks who got their burned on Ebay, it is VERY hard to tell the difference.
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
(31-Jan-2019, 06:59)awkaplan Wrote:

The Delta EF is £760 in the UK, the NRG Z3 is £179.  For dual mono users, that's £1520 versus £358.  So at UK prices, definitely more of a wallop than a notch I would say.  Also, a quick check online indicates that the US version of the Delta EF is $700, which looks about right.

I was chatting to someone a while ago who reckoned the Delta EF is exceptional with the Devialet, so maybe it is worth it.  I have not tried either, so cannot comment personally regards SQ.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(09-Feb-2019, 12:31)Confused Wrote:
(31-Jan-2019, 06:59)awkaplan Wrote:
(31-Jan-2019, 06:07)Damon Wrote: Not just a notch, but a wallop. $300.00 vs $1800.00. Personally, I start with the AQ Z3 cord. A power cord that costs 20% of the amp is a hard pill to swallow. If, however, you are looking in that price range, there are many other cable companies that make excellent cables, and which may suit your system and ears for much less. Consider Wywires, for example. Or Analysis Plus.

The Delta EF is £760 in the UK, the NRG Z3 is £179.  For dual mono users, that's £1520 versus £358.  So at UK prices, definitely more of a wallop than a notch I would say.  Also, a quick check online indicates that the US version of the Delta EF is $700, which looks about right.

I was chatting to someone a while ago who reckoned the Delta EF is exceptional with the Devialet, so maybe it is worth it.  I have not tried either, so cannot comment personally regards SQ.

Yes, my apologies for not being more sensitive to international pricing.  Somewhat telling, though.
I was offered the AQ Monsoon for the price of the 3m NRG-Z3, because the store can't ship my order due to backorder from AQ.

The Monsoon (out of the "Wind" Series) seems to be lesser known (maybe oder line-up?) but seems to be quite thick and nicely terminated by non-bulky, maybe even Devialet-under-the-lit-safe, plugs.

Does anybody have experience with these cords?
D200. B&W CM10S2. ROON over AIR for Tidal. Chromecast Audio thru SPDIF for Spotify Connect. Technics SL-1200, Ortofon 2M Bronze. 2x Reactor 600 as desktop monitors. Head/earphones: Denon AH-D5000, Campfire Andromeda S.