Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New loudspeakers & room digital correction service
Can this be incorporated into Roon?
At the moment there are only some workarounds to use audio plugins with Roon but not really user friendly...
Having third party DSP option for Roon is a long awaited feature and maybe it will come if customers keep asking for it !
You can get Roon's DSP engine to use a convolution filter to apply room correction, see https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSP_Engine:_Convolution . I don't know if the Home Audio Filter plugins can work with Roon or not but Roon can apparently be used to apply room correction. I haven't tried it or heard it in use so I can't comment on how effective it is.

I can see 2 possible problems. First, if you do this in Roon it will only work for music you access with Roon so music stored on your own server and streaming services like Tidal which you access with Roon. It will not work if you're playing music from other sources such as a CD player or turntable, or music from a streaming service accessed outside of Roon. That may not be a problem if Roon is the only way you access music but if you play music from other sources you're going to need some other method of applying room correction for those other sources. The other problem is that digital signal processing can be intensive for the computer running Roon and if you are also using Roon for other DSP tasks such as changing the resolution of music and/or converting DSD to PCM. adding room correction to the mix may prove too demanding for your computer. I don't know how intensive the processing for room correction is on its own but even that might be too intensive for some servers running Roon.

Even if you can do it, the results are going to be dependent on the quality of the software filter you use and that filter will only be appropriate for the specific speakers, speaker location, and listening position for which it was created. Change speakers, speaker location, or listening position and you will need a new filter. I think that if you change from using SAM to not using SAM or vice versa you will need to create a new filter because of the change in the phase response below 150 Hz which SAM introduces.

My reservations don't mean that I think it's not worth trying. I'm just trying to make the point that there may be limitations to what you will be able to do and I think you should be aware of them before you start to try any form of room correction or acoustic treatment, whether it be physical acoustic treatments or digital correction. I use physical acoustic treatments in my room and I have to adjust their placement if I change my speaker position or listening position. Changes in speakers may also require changes with physical treatments. No room correction method is ever completely "set and forget". All room corrections relate to a particular speaker/position and listening position arrangement and changes to those givens require changes to the correction.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I need to bring some clarifications :

- Yes Roon can apply filters thanks to convolution process and my filters creation service (standard and with crosstalk reduction) is used by many Roon customers

- Room Shaper has a unique correction algorithm that can't be converted into filters, and this is why it is implemented as an audio plugin or standalone application. Roon is not accepting audio plugins for the moment : this is why the only solution is to insert Room Shaper processing between Roon and your endpoint
Hi all,

I have made further developments for my filters generation service. Check out my new blog page.... You can test new stuff even if you don't have performed acoustics measurements.

Cheers,
Thierry
(19-Jun-2020, 13:04)David A Wrote: It will not work if you're playing music from other sources such as a CD player or turntable, or music from a streaming service accessed outside of Roon.

For me this is the biggest problem with Roon. Central people in Roon Labs ( Brian Luczkiewicz , Danny Dulai) were very enthusiastic about implementing "the input device" in Roon. This would allow a digital stream (from a CD player or AD converted vinyl for example) to go through the same signal chain as file playback whether local, Tidal or Qobuz.  Now,  several years later there is no sign of it and I doubt it will ever come.

There is a workaround for the lack of a native solution:  https://community.roonlabs.com/t/entrypo...oon/121341 , excellent in many ways, but a solution from Roon Labs would be better.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I am curious whether anyone who has previously used this service has tried to implement the resultant files into Devialet's Sweet Room setup, converting the file to a valid `eq.txt` and using it there, as opposed to in Roon, etc?