Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to get decent movie sound system with Devialet Phantom 1's
I've got 2 Devialet Gold Phantom's . A Sonos Sound Bar, A Sonos Sub running from an Optical Out from the TV that's split before running into the Devialet's and the Sound Bar.  It works fine, no issues with latency to my taste. 

I want to upgrade the system to be Dolby Atmos, and some rear sound, wondering what my best bet is.

I'm happy to spend $1.5k - $2.5k

So I'm thinking of Pairing the 2 Phantoms with a new Dione soundbar and to give up on read sound?

Is that the best solution or are there others?   And are Devialet speakers so "bad" at "Movies "  that it's best just to get a single out of the box movie theater solution like Samsung ht HW Q990C
You should have a look at this link from the Dione section of the website: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet...-Sonos-ARC

If your goal is to have rear speakers then Dione might not be the best solution/approach.

Why don't you buy rear speakers from Sonos? Will be cheaper notwithstanding the compatibility with your existing Sonos environment.

It seems that Dione has issues with the software/connectivity and we all know that Devialet is sluggish on updates. Maybe you are already aware but Dione isn't compatible with DTS.

If you want to have a full 3D sound experience with a soundbar, try to look at the following: Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar Max, Sony HT-A7000 or the Samsung you mentioned
(01-Nov-2023, 20:04)themoosieman Wrote: I've got 2 Devialet Gold Phantom's . A Sonos Sound Bar, A Sonos Sub running from an Optical Out from the TV that's split before running into the Devialet's and the Sound Bar.  It works fine, no issues with latency to my taste. 

I want to upgrade the system to be Dolby Atmos, and some rear sound, wondering what my best bet is.
Welcome to the forum...

Not sure why you are using a stereo signal from TV to the Phantoms and, Sonos soundbar and sub. Would have assumed that using the Phantoms with optical would have given the best sound. Or you could have connected the Sonos soundbar and sub via HDMI.

To use rear speakers and Atmos, you will need something to decode the movie sound, e.g. an AVR. Are you prepared to spend more and learn how to set an AVR?

If not, then suggest getting a good soundbar which will mimic 3D sound.
There are ways to cobble a surround system with phantoms. However, to get the best sound quality, you need to invest more. Depending on the route you take you may need to purchase high quality A/D converters to take the analog out of an AVR and route those channels to the phantoms, or you can go the all digital route with dante and a bunch of converters. Either way, you'll need to spend much more than your allotted budget.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Make it simple!

Solution:
1. Sell your Sonos equipment and buy a unique 3D sound bar
2. Buy rear speakers from Sonos to add to your existing equipment
3. Forget cables with Phantom. It plays at 48KHz max. Upnp is largely enough
4. Send the signal from your TV in Bluetooth/HDMI Arc to your Sonos or 3D sound bar
5. Keep your Phantoms for music only. As an example, you won't use a sound bar designed for home cinema to listen to music

Hope it helps :-)