Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bi Amp
How easy it to connect 800 with second 800 in a Bi Amp configuration ?

Do you guys think it’ll be an improvement?

I found 800 in good condition for $6.5k, should I tempt ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(27-Dec-2019, 01:25)no32 Wrote: How easy it to connect 800 with second 800 in a Bi Amp configuration ?

Do you guys think it’ll be an improvement?

I found 800 in good condition for $6.5k, should I tempt ?

I hav not tried it personally but if you play with the configurator, you can see that it is fairly easy to create such a configuration. 

You should also look at https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet-3000 as a concrete example of what you want to achieve. 

As for the improvement question, if all depends on your speakers. 
If  they are bi-ampable but have a single filter that you cannot skip, the improvement would be marginal. If they are bi-ampable with two filters, you will get an improvement. 
The ideal would be if you could get rid of the passive crossover and replace it by the active one in the pair of 800. 

My two cents,
Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
My speakers has 2 filters and the manufacture said he didn’t try it with 2 sets of 800 but 2 sets of 1000 sounded good

I can always upgrade my 800 to 1000 but somehow I don’t have confidence in this move

Thx

(28-Dec-2019, 02:54)no32 Wrote: My speakers has 2 filters and the manufacture said he didn’t try it with 2 sets  of 800 but 2 sets of 1000 sounded good

I can always upgrade my 800 to 1000 but somehow I  don’t have confidence in this move

Thx

If they tried it with two 1000 and the result was convincing, then I’m very positive that moving from a single 800 to a pair of 800 will result in the same sort of improvement.

So, if you feel if more along the two 800 than the single 1000, my recommendation (but I’m not the one paying) would be to go with the path that you feel confortable with and enjoy it. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
It will make most difference when you can remove the filter, and filter properly inside of the Devialet. Then yes. Otherwise, save yourself some money, and spend it on a basement full of wine or beer to accompany you while listening ;-)

I never found bi-amping to be significant. Mono-blocks where much more interesting. But the biggest issue remains in your speakers, if you have a passive filter. Even tho, that can be quite corrected by Devialet. If bi-amped, you may remove that benefit of using the speaker correction properly. So, yes, it could sound different. Better? meh... I wouldn't say so. Maybe you could prefer it, that's an option. Still bit much for a minor upgrade.

As well, I would be aware for the 6.5k, sounds too good to be true.
I have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3. I have been using B&W 802s since the last 27 years and these speakers mandatorily demand to at least be bi-wired for a satisfactory performance. 

Last year, I got a 2nd set of 440 Pro and had bi-amped them as I felt I could improve the Low frequency performance considerably along with better dynamics. Indeed - the 2nd set of 440 Pro did bring in a good measure of improvement to the overall sonics but soon, I was overwhelmed when I heard what a pair of REL G1-Mark-II subs did hence I reverted back to bi-wiring, sold off the 2nd set of 440 Pro and making plans for the pair of RELs.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Thx guys I think you convinced to pass the BI amping option
Thx again