Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bristol Sound and Vision Show 2016
Petrik - I am thinking much the same thing as you! I haven't actually tried Roon yet, but I am planning to try the free trial over the Easter holidays, thus maximising my free time with it. Depending on how that goes, it will be wait and see what the Melco app is like. It's lucky I'm a patient man!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
One other Melco point, I did chat to someone about the Melco N1ZH. Apparently this is an N1Z, but without the "audio grade" SSD's, which I'm told are VERY expensive. In the UK the N1Z is £7000, and the N1ZH £3500, fully half price. Could be the sweet spot in the new range?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(28-Feb-2016, 16:29)Confused Wrote: Petrik - I am thinking much the same thing as you!  I haven't actually tried Roon yet, but I am planning to try the free trial over the Easter holidays, thus maximising my free time with it.  Depending on how that goes, it will be wait and see what the Melco app is like.  It's lucky I'm a patient man!

(28-Feb-2016, 16:35)Confused Wrote: One other Melco point, I did chat to someone about the Melco N1ZH.  Apparently this is an N1Z, but without the "audio grade" SSD's, which I'm told are VERY expensive.  In the UK the N1Z is £7000, and the N1ZH £3500, fully half price.  Could be the sweet spot in the new range?

That sounds like a very good deal! Smile I definitely would be considering buying one if it would be sure that they will integrate with Roon.

I guess that Melco's own app will be probably quite ok, but it's hard to believe that it could compete with Roon. Well, maybe someday if they are willing to invest a lot off money and time developing it. I just think it would be wise to concentrate doing what they know best. Or as Enno from Roon is saying: do what you know.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(28-Feb-2016, 16:35)Confused Wrote: One other Melco point, I did chat to someone about the Melco N1ZH.  Apparently this is an N1Z, but without the "audio grade" SSD's, which I'm told are VERY expensive.  In the UK the N1Z is £7000, and the N1ZH £3500, fully half price.  Could be the sweet spot in the new range?

The N1ZH comes with 2*3TB if the Melco website is correct.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Is the sweet spot in the WHOLE range not the N1A? At £1600 what do the other models do that the N1A does not?

Cheaper source and more expense on the speakers and source is my thought process. I would have even stuck with AIR if it had worked
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(28-Feb-2016, 18:06)Womaz Wrote: Is the sweet spot in the WHOLE range not the N1A? At £1600 what do the other models do that the N1A does not?

Cheaper source and more expense on the speakers and source is my thought process. I would have even stuck with AIR if it had worked

A fair point Womaz!  It would of course require a very careful demonstration of the N1ZH or the now named N1ZS to establish if they were worth the extra cash.  I guess the point I was trying to make was that the N1ZH looks a lot better value than the original N1Z, but as no one has tried an N1ZH yet, the juries out on that one for a while.
Agree mostly with Confused about the Devialet/Kudos set up. Didn't actually sound bad to me but rather underwhelming for the price. Seemed over complicated and unnecessary to be honest, when a plain 400 with Spendor D7 sounded much better in another room. Strange when last years Exakt Kudos Titans with Linn amplification sounded very good. Apart from Melco being everywhere I was very impressed with some new one-box solutions from Leema and Moon. Amazing sound and functionality for the money.

The Wilson Benesch room just looked like a massive pile of boxes to me - think I've mentally moved on from that now so it wouldn't have mattered how it sounded.

The new B&W 800s were very impressive for a big system, with Classe monoblocks I think.

Also enjoyed some of the valve based systems, but personally I wouldn't want to put up with one at home.

Got to hear some Scansonic floorstanders which I'd wanted to hear for a while and some really nice sounding Quadral ones which were a surprise.

Harbeths were great sounding but they always choose the demo music that flatters them. Don't think they'd cope with my taste in music!

Overall a really enjoyable day at the show.
Devialet D200, Linn Majik DS, Pro-Ject X-Pack turntable, PMC Fact 8 speakers,
Creek headphone amp, Sennheiser HD700, Monitor Audio sub.
Hello guys.

Many thanks for your information about the fair and the WB room in special.

Concerning the quality and prices of streamers I can tell you that SSD's normally sound much better than rotating HDD's. SSD's are available in MLC and SLC quality. Soundwise SLC is supposed to be better but the price is five times higher....

Moreover linear PSU's sound better but again these are more expensive.

Proper clocking of the output signal or reclocking raises the price for a device.

Good cases and a well made shielding is expensive, too.

And don't forget the high prices for nice cables....

Let me tell you that the same rules apply to digital audio as they do in classical, analog audio.

You will easily find out that a good digital source becomes easily similar expensive as a very good turntable with a HQ system.....

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
(28-Feb-2016, 19:34)Jgw911 Wrote: The new B&W 800s were very impressive for a big system, with Classe monoblocks I think.

Now after I have sold my Wilson Audio Sasha I am searching for a nice replacement. Due to the very good press notices I have auditioned the new 80x D3 several times already. They never sounded really impressive to me with CLASSE. Now my local dealer got his lot of demo speakers. As we all know new speakers need a lot of time to run in properly. As my dealer doesn't have a chance to play all new speakers simultaniously I "offered" myself to help him out. I grabbed the 803 D3 and these are playing in my room since three weeks now. To my surprise the 803 D3 turned out to be a perfect match with the D400 I got from my dealer until my D900 finally arrives.

In fact I like the D803 D3 with the D400 in my room more than the WA Sasha 1 with my D800 before....

Very nice and precise bass with SAM turned to 100%, less distortions compared with the Sasha and in fact very detailed mids and treble.

I am positively surprised about the new B&W D3 series and I am looking forward to test the 802 and 800 later this year as well.

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
thanks Brian for taking the time to share your experiences
much appreciated

Im in the same boat as many with the Melco... if only it had Roon coming I wouldn't hesitate to snap one up
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England