Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a dedicated RoonServer and NAS
Thought I'd start a thread on the topic as a few have asked how I've built a directly connected dedicated RoonServer/NAS, prepared, installed and connected up.

Physical setup of network components & (dedicated to roon) NAS: 
TP-Link VR900 modem/router DHCP IP pool set from: 192.168.1.100 > 192.168.1.200
The QNAP is hard-wired to the TP-Link VR900 and is connected to Ethernet port 1 via 0.5m CAT7.
The Devialet is hard-wired directly to the QNAP's Ethernet port 2 via 1m CAT7. 
NAS drive model: QNAP TS-251+ with 1x Samsung 8GB RAM module & 2x 1TB SanDisk Ulta II SSDs. 
Installed RoonServer via QNAPs app centre. 

The following setting are done in QNAP's configuration settings:  
QNAP Ethernet port 1: 192.168.1.100
QNAP ethernet port 1 subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

QNAP ethernet port 2: 192.168.2.100
QNAP ethernet port 2 subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

The following setting are done in Devialet's configuration settings: 
Devialet static address: 192.168.2.101
Devialet subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
WiFi disabled/tuned off

roon is controlled via an iPad which is (WiFi) connected to the TP-Link VR900 modem/router.
In roon 'settings' > 'Audio' the Devialet is visible as an Ethernet client/audio zone, simple give it a name (see screenshot) select and play.!

[Image: IMG_0053_903.png]

The above is also available and doable with appropriate Synology NAS drives too.
Thanks CK

Nicely outlined. Very clear.

Any idea on the possibility of getting the same on a Synology NAS.?

I have the Synology DS918+ with dual Ethernet ports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

Just checked out the spec of your NAS and yes, it's totally fine. I'd put 8GB of RAM in it though.
Thanks for the detailed outline! My NAS is a little bit too old for this i think (TS659 Pro II). Do you think it's possible to do more or less the same with an Intel NUC, directly connected to the Devialet with the hard-wired port and accessed/controlled using wifi? When you put in a SSD of 2 TB and 8 GB RAM (or more) you can run ROCK on it, and at least in my case the whole music collection can be stored on the SSD.
Sonus Faber Olympica II -> Chord Signature -> Devialet 250 Pro / Anthem MRX 710 / HD-Plex H1.S based silent HiFi PC -> Roon -> HD-Plex Linear Power Supply / Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 -> Dynavector 10X5 / B&W MT-60D
(10-May-2018, 11:24)Bartype Wrote: Thanks for the detailed outline! My NAS is a little bit too old for this i think (TS659 Pro II). Do you think it's possible to do more or less the same with an Intel NUC, directly connected to the Devialet with the hard-wired port and accessed/controlled using wifi? When you put in a SSD of 2 TB and 8 GB RAM (or more) you can run ROCK on it, and at least in my case the whole music collection can be stored on the SSD.

If the NUC supports WiFi I cant see any issues other than if you are also streaming the likes of TIDAL though roon then this may cause dropouts with MQA content. 

The TS251+ is c£300 with 8GB RAM........... is a good spec NUC any cheaper to build?
(10-May-2018, 15:47)cereal killer Wrote:
(10-May-2018, 11:24)Bartype Wrote: Thanks for the detailed outline! My NAS is a little bit too old for this i think (TS659 Pro II). Do you think it's possible to do more or less the same with an Intel NUC, directly connected to the Devialet with the hard-wired port and accessed/controlled using wifi? When you put in a SSD of 2 TB and 8 GB RAM (or more) you can run ROCK on it, and at least in my case the whole music collection can be stored on the SSD.

If the NUC supports WiFi I cant see any issues other than if you are also streaming the likes of TIDAL though roon then this may cause dropouts with MQA content. 

The TS251+ is c£300 with 8GB RAM........... is a good spec NUC any cheaper to build?

Well, i don't think so, or you have to go for an older series i5 or maybe i7 NUC with a normal HDD. The 2 TB SSD's are still very expensive...
Sonus Faber Olympica II -> Chord Signature -> Devialet 250 Pro / Anthem MRX 710 / HD-Plex H1.S based silent HiFi PC -> Roon -> HD-Plex Linear Power Supply / Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 -> Dynavector 10X5 / B&W MT-60D
What's the weakest link of a NAS? Well, you can mirror or RAID to your heart's content but the whole thing falls down if the control unit itself fails as has happened to myself twice. Unless you have dual NASes running in parallel there is a good chance that you will experience a catastrophic failure at some point. Whatever you have on your NAS must have adequate backup elsewhere. I managed to recover all my data from the disks at a cost.
Devialet 250 Pro, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal. 
Simply do a USB backup once a week or when you add new music as you would with anything else.
So easy to make a USB copy may be enough for some files that I can easily create by hand again! For comprehensive music collections, other ways are useful.

However, as data loss can never be completely ruled out, it is important to minimize the risk of losing it.

In this regard, the 3-2-1 backup rule is very often mentioned, which was coined by Peter Krogh and should prevent users from losing data from their backup.

In short, the rule says: A user makes three copies of his data using two different storage technologies (I use 3 USB disks of different manufacturers, 1xSSD and 2xHDD) and stores one out of the way.

So: Save at least 3 copies with at least 2 different technologies. Of which at least 1 copy store away from home.

PS: I have been doing the backup for years according to this scheme, so far had to access a back-up 2 times (about 4500 CD's alc FLAC saved)! Angel
Devialet 220Pro-CI, Focal Sopra 3, Linn Klimax DS/Katalyst, Burmester 089 CD, Melco N1ZS/2A + D100, Cable Audioquest (NRG-10,Diamond,K2,Yukon,Coffee etc.), iPad-Pro, KECES P8 Dual, Tidal HiFi
IsoTek: 2 x EVO3 Genesis One, EVO3 Titan One, EVO3 Syncro.                                                                                                                                                                Germany / Bavaria