Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabasse Pearl
Hi "Jamington2004" ,
I am owner of one Cabasse Pearl Akoya.
Interested to hear if you tested one Pearl against two Pearls and what the sound difference was.
Thanks.
(09-Aug-2021, 14:44)MinistryOfAudio Wrote: Hi "Jamington2004" ,
Interested to hear if you tested one Pearl against two Pearls and what the sound difference was.
Thanks.

I predict: soundstage because of the stereo imaging.
(20-Jul-2021, 14:13)fLexOdder Wrote: I went to a dealer and listened to both The Pearl and Devialet Phantom 1 (103 db) next to each other. We found out the Pearl was a bit more easy listening compared to the phantoms. The salesman warned us because of its hefty bass and the position we will be going to place the speakers.  He made clear the Phantom was the better way to go because of its more staccato way of pushing the sound. The Pearls would be rumbling around because of the way the lower part of the sounds are projected. The phantoms use a different technique and the salesman point out the Pearls use a more traditional way. 

There aren't a lot of comparison reviews between the Phantom and the Pearl and so I am glad I found somewhat of unprejudiced info in a corner of the www. We seemed to have made a choice in the Phantoms but after reading your review and seeing the pictures of your place made me think: hmmmmmm maybe rethink the story. I will not be putting them on the wall and they will be put on stands. I don't like the huge stands Cabasse can provide and I want them to be placed lower. Is there a large difference between the two set ups you now know (placed high vs placed low)?

Greetz

Alex

Hi Alex not sure what that dealer was on about the Pearls rumbling around due to different way of pushing the sound? Smile
And don’t forget the Cabasse have the room correction to account for close to wall placement unlike the Phantoms 

I think you’re right though the Cabasse seems more natural / neutral / easy than the Phantoms that are a bit more “impressive” / “in your face” sounding. Don’t quote me on that though as I had a big gap between owning the 2

I don’t think there was much difference between when I had them high and low - but the bass would have behaved different due to the ceiling vs floor reinforcement I guess. But I recalibrated after moving so hard to tell

Hope you enjoy whichever one you choose. If you speak German there is a head to head comparison here as well : https://youtu.be/c9vX8AnnCbg
(09-Aug-2021, 14:44)MinistryOfAudio Wrote: Hi "Jamington2004" ,
Thanks.

No clue sorry - I jumped headfirst into a pair of the full sized Pearl Smile
(10-Aug-2021, 20:44)Jamington2004 Wrote:
(20-Jul-2021, 14:13)fLexOdder Wrote: I went to a dealer and listened to both The Pearl and Devialet Phantom 1 (103 db) next to each other. We found out the Pearl was a bit more easy listening compared to the phantoms. The salesman warned us because of its hefty bass and the position we will be going to place the speakers.  He made clear the Phantom was the better way to go because of its more staccato way of pushing the sound. The Pearls would be rumbling around because of the way the lower part of the sounds are projected. The phantoms use a different technique and the salesman point out the Pearls use a more traditional way. 

There aren't a lot of comparison reviews between the Phantom and the Pearl and so I am glad I found somewhat of unprejudiced info in a corner of the www. We seemed to have made a choice in the Phantoms but after reading your review and seeing the pictures of your place made me think: hmmmmmm maybe rethink the story. I will not be putting them on the wall and they will be put on stands. I don't like the huge stands Cabasse can provide and I want them to be placed lower. Is there a large difference between the two set ups you now know (placed high vs placed low)?

Greetz

Alex

Hi Alex not sure what that dealer was on about the Pearls rumbling around due to different way of pushing the sound? Smile
And don’t forget the Cabasse have the room correction to account for close to wall placement unlike the Phantoms 

I think you’re right though the Cabasse seems more natural / neutral / easy than the Phantoms that are a bit more “impressive” / “in your face” sounding. Don’t quote me on that though as I had a big gap between owning the 2

I don’t think there was much difference between when I had them high and low - but the bass would have behaved different due to the ceiling vs floor reinforcement I guess. But I recalibrated after moving so hard to tell

Hope you enjoy whichever one you choose. If you speak German there is a head to head comparison here as well : https://youtu.be/c9vX8AnnCbg

Hi thanks for your reply. The dealer and I were talking about the placement of the speakers in our house. During the listening session both the Pearls and the Phantoms were placed far from back and side walls. I do not have that much space and so his assumption was that the Pearl would be more difficult to be be used. Because of the way the bass is projected from the Pearl he said. He didn't mention the 'rumbling' description as I used in my post. English is not my native language maybe I didn't use the best translation. The use of the Phantoms was told to be a bit more suitable because of it's fast way of handling the music. Hope I told it a bit better this way...

I have seen all the comparisons on Youtube I think and saw this one too. Thanks anyway.

I really don't like the stands for the Pearls and I am not going to mount them on the wall. First thing we will be doing is have a second session comparing the two.
Hi great Smile Still don’t understand really why he feels they would be so different close to walls - especially as the Cabasse had the ability to correct the bass for close to wall placement. As someone mentioned earlier bass is pretty omni directional. Maybe still the 2 side woofers vs 1 larger rear woofer is maybe what he meant?

Good luck in the next listening session - make sure they are placed close the wall and then he does the Cabasse auto-calibration again to adjust the bass for the new placement Smile

Having had both in close wall situation - I had to use separate Dspeaker Antimode room correction on the phantom golds otherwise the bass was unbearable. It worked really well and made them much cleaner and flatter sounding. But it’s an extra box and extra complexity as you have to send music to that and then into the phantom optical

With the Cabasse - built in room correction and very similar results. Probably I would say overall they are still deeper and fuller bass to my ears. But not horrible and boomy like they are if I try without the calibration.

Let us know how you get on Smile
I do like better the sound of the Phantoms, the sound is much elegant if I may use this word. The high and mid frequency drivers produce reacher and crispy sound, and the base is much more balance and tight and less boomy.
I am not saying the Cabasse sounded bad at all, I just think the low frequency driver overpower the high and mid frequency. (like a boombox) a teenager will love them right away 🙂

If you are a person that really like bass all the time in the music, then, they are perfect. And I believe they will sound great with techno, club and dance music. For me they resamble the sound of a concern speaker or a high end sound system for a car. But at the end of the day is just a matter of taste 🙂