Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo amplifier vs dual-mono
@yabaVR I guess parts of the advantages of dual-mono Devialet amps is that both sides of a speaker is driven by an active amplifier stage as opposed to a stereo amp where minus of the speaker is simply connected to common ground.

I have experimented a little with this. My speakers have first order crossovers and the negative side of the voice coil of both units are connected directly to the minus terminal of the cabinet with no components in between (this is not unusual even for higher order crossovers). By reversing the speaker leads on both speakers and enable phase reversal on the amplifier I have control of absolute phase, but now the active amp stage is seeing the voice coils directly instead of through filter components.

There is an improvement in the sound and it is easy to try with expert amps. Improvement is probably not in class with your 'direct-to-terminal' mod (I have not tried this yet unfortunately), but better than removing plastic/brass nuts on the amp.
My speakers are already fairly DIY so I've re-built crossovers with components now sitting on the minus of drive units. I can then run speaker cables the normal way. Practical as the amplifier does not remember your phase setting across restarts.
Try it and see what you think
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
This doesn't make sense to me. Do I get this right? You're reversing polarity on the cables and reversing the polarity on the amplifier and there's an improvement in sound? To the best of my knowledge all you have practically done is change the colour of the wires. Technically there's no change in current direction.

Please tell me if I read this wrong.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
As @ogs stated in his first post, there's also an advantage (in the dual mono configuration) in the fact that each amp runs in bridge mode so the high-current output is not referenced to a ground that might be shared with more sensitive parts of the amp (like the class A stage, I guess).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(05-May-2019, 22:46)Pim Wrote: This doesn't make sense to me.

Of course you are right, technically this does not make sense
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(06-May-2019, 05:47)alaw Wrote: The dual mono advantage is in not sharing a common  power supply. A double negative inverse phase shift experiment cannot simulate that!

No it certainly does not make a stereo amp into a dual mono
Devialetless!
(06-May-2019, 06:36)thumb5 Wrote: an advantage (in the dual mono configuration) in the fact that each amp runs in bridge mode

Yes, that is a very good observation
Devialetless!
(06-May-2019, 06:41)ogs Wrote:
(05-May-2019, 22:46)Pim Wrote: This doesn't make sense to me.

Of course you are right, technically this does not make sense

So you knew it didn’t make sense but decided to try it anyway? Now that’s dedication to tweaking.  Smile Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.