Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comments from a number of people who auditioned Phantoms...
Just read through the conversation at the bottom of this page. 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/0...-ces-2015/

A number of them auditioned the Phantom and made comments.  None seemed to be greatly pleased.  It's quite a conundrum really - some rave in other threads , but others pan it. One of the more interesting statement was the claim that Devialet had originally promoted the Phantom to be better than the KEF Blade 2. Really? THAT is quite a claim if so.

Anyways, not being negative - simply adding to the dialogue from as many people as possible.

MtnGuy
There will always be nay-sayers to this type of "paradigm shift". For me, the Phantom achieves the quality of sound that "I" look for which is a full-bodied sound in a small, convenient and aesthetically (subjective) pleasing package. You either love it or hate it i suppose.  Sleepy
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
I have heard them in two different occasions, in 5 different rooms, with one phantom setup, two phantoms setup and four phantoms setup.
And I have heard them with multiple songs and multiple movies.

If you hear them in only one room, you certainly won't really know them. If you hear them with few songs, you certainly won't really know them.

And if you want to compare them with any other brands, you have to do that with the two systems next to each other, in the same room. Else it's just pointless.

An audio system in 99% dependent on:
1 - the room
2 - the audio you try to play (song or movies)

A very expensive setup can be ruined with a bad room and/or a bad recording. It will be destroyed by a cheap system in a great room and/or a great recording. That's sad. But its' the truth.

I have experimented it with the phantoms.

Depending on the room or the recording, they were either the worst system I have ever heard or the best one.

In my opinion, with a good room and a good recording, they can be really REALLY good.
But to know that, you have to try them in the right environment with the right songs. Like any other audio system.

I don't think Colette store in Paris, or Harrods in London, or even Devialet Show room in Paris, are the best environment to hear them.
And I don't think the songs chosen by the sellers are the best choices possible.

When I heard them, I think maybe 90% of the recordings they used were very bad recordings. It was just terrible.
But these other 10% were REALLY good. And it makes the Phantoms shine.

And the other problem is that the sellers try to convince you with very loud bass. They choose songs based only on bass.
And with bad recording, you can imagine what is the outcome...

So don't listen to people who have heard them once, with songs they didn't choose. Just listen to them by yourself, in the best environment you can find, with the best songs you know.

That's it.
(09-Jun-2015, 10:01)fgueho Wrote: I have heard them in two different occasions, in 5 different rooms, with one phantom setup, two phantoms setup and four phantoms setup.
And I have heard them with multiple songs and multiple movies.

If you hear them in only one room, you certainly won't really know them. If you hear them with few songs, you certainly won't really know them.

And if you want to compare them with any other brands, you have to do that with the two systems next to each other, in the same room. Else it's just pointless.

An audio system in 99% dependent on:
1 - the room
2 - the audio you try to play (song or movies)

A very expensive setup can be ruined with a bad room and/or a bad recording. It will be destroyed by a cheap system in a great room and/or a great recording. That's sad. But its' the truth.

I have experimented it with the phantoms.

Depending on the room or the recording, they were either the worst system I have ever heard or the best one.

In my opinion, with a good room and a good recording, they can be really REALLY good.
But to know that, you have to try them in the right environment with the right songs. Like any other audio system.

I don't think Colette store in Paris, or Harrods in London, or even Devialet Show room in Paris, are the best environment to hear them.
And I don't think the songs chosen by the sellers are the best choices possible.

When I heard them, I think maybe 90% of the recordings they used were very bad recordings. It was just terrible.
But these other 10% were REALLY good. And it makes the Phantoms shine.

And the other problem is that the sellers try to convince you with very loud bass. They choose songs based only on bass.
And with bad recording, you can imagine what is the outcome...

So don't listen to people who have heard them once, with songs they didn't choose. Just listen to them by yourself, in the best environment you can find, with the best songs you know.

That's it.

The best environment is your own home environment, using your own choice of music.
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Exactly. But it is not always possible when you want to try a system.
It is possible in the EU due to distance selling regulations. Buy them, try them, keep them or return them.
(09-Jun-2015, 05:14)MountainGuy Wrote: Just read through the conversation at the bottom of this page. 

A number of them auditioned the Phantom and made comments.  None seemed to be greatly pleased.  It's quite a conundrum really - some rave in other threads , but others pan it.  One of the more interesting statement was the claim that Devialet had originally promoted the Phantom to be better than the KEF Blade 2.  Really?  THAT is quite a claim if so.

Anyways, not being negative - simply adding to the dialogue from as many people as possible.

MtnGuy
The third party claim that Devialet have stated Phantom beats the KEF Blade II and the B&W 802, is preceded by the statement that the Phantom "will beat all of the competition".  So that is everything!  I suspect this is simply inferred from the "10x better" and "beats systems up to 50k" statements that Devialet did actually make.  I think it is unlikely that Devialet would specifically single out two manufacturers like B&W and KEF.  Just the normal nonsense you find on the 'net sometimes.

As to comments from others in this thread that you need familiar recordings in a familiar environment etc.  Yes indeed, I could not agree more.
(09-Jun-2015, 13:13)Confused Wrote:
(09-Jun-2015, 05:14)MountainGuy Wrote: Just read through the conversation at the bottom of this page. 

A number of them auditioned the Phantom and made comments.  None seemed to be greatly pleased.  It's quite a conundrum really - some rave in other threads , but others pan it.  One of the more interesting statement was the claim that Devialet had originally promoted the Phantom to be better than the KEF Blade 2.  Really?  THAT is quite a claim if so.

MtnGuy
The third party claim that Devialet have stated Phantom beats the KEF Blade II and the B&W 802, is preceded by the statement that the Phantom "will beat all of the competition".  So that is everything!  I suspect this is simply inferred from the "10x better" and "beats systems up to 50k" statements that Devialet did actually make.  I think it is unlikely that Devialet would specifically single out two manufacturers like B&W and KEF.  Just the normal nonsense you find on the 'net sometimes.

As to comments from others in this thread that you need familiar recordings in a familiar environment etc.  Yes indeed, I could not agree more.

They beat my 802D's in my listening room. Big Grin

Does any system exist that is universally acclaimed by everybody as THE best? There will always be somebody that will find something not to their liking. That is understandable as we all have different ears.

But for me the Phantoms ticked all the boxes. I hope they do the same for you.
(09-Jun-2015, 13:25)stonedragon Wrote: They beat my 802D's in my listening room. Big Grin

Wow! Powered by a Devialet amp?

Sounds like I need to try a pair of these. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(09-Jun-2015, 13:49)GuillaumeB Wrote: Wow! Powered by a Devialet amp?

Sounds like I need to try a pair of these. 

Guillaume

If I remember correctly, stonedragon had a pair of Music Fidelity Superchargers.