Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 as amp and player simultaneously
Hello,

This is my first post. I am about to buy a D200 (used) and I have a question.

Is it possible to have it configured as an amplifier (2 inputs connected to the preamp outputs of an AV receiver) and at the same time if I switch source from remote to use it to play music streamed from a PC ?
I want to use it mainly to stream music from PC but from time to time I want it to serve as an amplifier for L and R for my 7.2 AV receiver. My receiver has preamp outputs an I also have a Primaire A30.5 5-channel amplifier. I was thinking to let the Primaire do the work for the surround channels and centre and the D200 will be used for LR.
But I want to be able to use it without changing config everytime with a SD card as it will be too cumbersome.

Thank you,
Cristian
Hello Cristian,

Welcome to the forum.

The set-up you described should work just fine with a D200.  You'd configure a pair of RCA inputs as stereo line inputs (e.g. Line 1, in the default configuration) and set the max. input level to match the preamp output level from your AV receiver.  Depending on how you want to stream from your PC you could either use the USB input, or a network connection (wired Ethernet or wi-fi).  If you're using Ethernet or wi-fi you'll also need to install the AIR virtual sound card driver on your PC.  You'll be able to use the remote control to switch between the line input and streaming sources.

The only thing I can see that might be a concern is synchronising the output of the D200 with the Primaire in your 7.2 set-up to avoid any "echo" effects.  The delay (latency) through the D200 is very small, I believe, and from what I can see of the A30.5 it doesn't look as though it has any DSP on board so it should probably be fine without any special configuration.  If necessary you can add up to 20 ms of delay in the D200 to compensate for any delay in the A30.5 (look in the Speaker section of the configurator if you need to do that).

If you have any problems please follow up here as there are many forum members who'll be happy to help.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thank you for your answer.

The receiver has Audissey room correction. So I think it will automatically compensate for any delays if I use RC.
One more question:

Using the setup described by thumb5 in post #2 will I be able to control the volume from the receiver? The volume set on the D200 will have any influence?

Regards,
Cristian
Yes the volume control will be from your surround receiver. The volume control of the Devialet is disabled in so called pass-through mode.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands