Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D400 to 440 Pro SQ reviews
(30-Sep-2018, 03:31)audio_engr Wrote: My 440-Pro CI returned from France Friday morning after upgrading from 400 & they've been playing continuously for the last 40 hours. After the initial 36 hrs of continuous pink / white noises burnin', I sat down to do some serious auditioning. Here's what are my observations ...

The first thing that strikes you is the huge dynamic ability of the amps along with clarity. Upon dissecting this, the Low-level details especially the high frequency harmonics, reverberant cues in the music and other small textural and transient details became much more audible, intelligible and coherent so much so that you begin to rediscover your music once again ... along with the exploding dynamic behaviour of the dual-mono amplifiers that brings forth new realm of holographic, three-dimentional sound to your room. 

I used AIR with my Macbook Air playing files straight from Roon to the 440-Pro CI using Audioquest Diamond Ethernet. The new CI board is apparently doing a ton of good things yet the same earlier DAC chips of the 400 is still present ... it does make me wonder that Devialet has done a marvellous job whatever they did on the CI board. The streaming was flawless using FW 13.0.0 + DOS 2.2.2. 

This upgrade from 400 to 440-Pro CI was worth every bit of my money and my sincere thanks to @Confused for advising me to go ahead with it. I am really glad I did it and IMHO, the direct streaming to the Devialets is absolutely flawless [so far]. 

My next plans are to replace my Macbook Air with a Roon Nucleus with internal SSD, a Linear power-supply that I built myself and also address power conditioning by incorporating a PS Audio Direct Stream Power Regenerator 12.
Thank you for your wonderful SQ feedback.
System 1 : D800, Piega Classic 80.2, Lumin A1, NUC/Wintel +SSD, Roon lifetime Qobuz sublissime Tidal Hifi subscription 
System 2 : D400, JM Reynaud Cantabile Sublime, Roon.
France
@alaw and @Amelot75 ... Thank you for your kind words ...

I am absolutely amazed that the SD cards that Delvialet France shipped corrupted within 96 hrs ... shocking !!!
wondering if Devialet is sourcing some $1 rubbish from the Far-East

AIR was non-functional and it took me full 2 days to figure it out that its the NEW stock SD cards that died !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(03-Oct-2018, 05:59)audio_engr Wrote: @alaw and @Amelot75 ... Thank you for your kind words ...

I am absolutely amazed that the SD cards that Delvialet France shipped corrupted within 96 hrs ... shocking !!!

AIR was non-functional and it took me full 2 days to figure it out that its the NEW stock SD cards that died !!

Both? I hope it’s rubbish SD cards and not a fault in your system.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hello, that does not surprise me! With the prices for SD Cards, the quality check is probably out! Have recently 20 SD Cards purchased (average price segment) 4 pieces were broken (write or read error)! Angry
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(03-Oct-2018, 07:07)Pim Wrote:
(03-Oct-2018, 05:59)audio_engr Wrote: @alaw and @Amelot75 ... Thank you for your kind words ...

Both? I hope it’s rubbish SD cards and not a fault in your system.

Indeed - both ... 

Luckily, I had a fresh pair of SanDisk hence used them 1st to load FW, followed by my Config.

I recommend that upon the arrival of your Od'A, irrespective of the FW loaded - get a functional set of your trusted SD cards, load FW followed by your Config. That way, hopefully you wouldn't feel upset ...  Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(03-Oct-2018, 09:08)K4680 Wrote: Hello, that does not surprise me! With the prices for SD Cards, the quality check is probably out! Have recently 20 SD Cards purchased (average price segment) 4 pieces were broken (write or read error)! Angry

Just now ordered 2 pairs of Transend SD cards of 2GB size. Extremely hard to find good brands on Amazon these days and mighty expensive for 2GB but have no choice.
I also wish to ADD to my 440 Pro CI review that there are vast improvements in the area of soundstaging and imaging. The overall soundstage of the 440 Pro CI is much larger than my earlier 400. And the instruments placements are much more precise and its bolder ... (esp. noticeable in large orchestral works and operas ... I am a violinist from age 5 & have played in orchestras hence its great fun to precisely hear the layers of the orchestras) ... matter of fact with a slightly High Volume setting, its an 'hair-raising experience'. On vocals, there's a definite lift in height on the soundstage that's much more realistic.

All in all, the Pro-CI upgrade brought about a superior and more realistic reproduction experience ...
This is my turn to give my contribution to all those people who are thinking of expert pro upgrade.
1st for me to jump to Pro upgrade is a budget to consider (D400&D800).
2nd I always wondered about the Devialet Dac integrated SQ compare to competitors
3rd Hi End 2nd market has sometimes really good bargain and mine is a Lumin A1

To make it short, I spent 24h listening from redbook flac files to hi res files or streaming with this wonder sound machine called Lumin A1 and my « Old D800 » and Oh My...I’m stunned by the SQ gap especially the organic side of sound mainly voices/highs and defined soundstage. It’s like a brand new system.
I’m not telling this is better or less than an 1000 Pro or 440 because It will require an AB listening session but for all those still considering the upgrade question like me. Please don’t hesitate to try a hi end DAC with your D amp. You can be surprised.
Expert is still a very good amp and so beautiful objets to my eyes.
If someone has an 1000 Pro or 440Pro with an Lumin product please share your reviews.
I think it’s a good match in despite Devialet philosophy.
System 1 : D800, Piega Classic 80.2, Lumin A1, NUC/Wintel +SSD, Roon lifetime Qobuz sublissime Tidal Hifi subscription 
France
(07-Oct-2018, 19:24)Amelot75 Wrote: I’m not telling this is better or less than an 1000 Pro or 440 because It will require an AB listening session but for all those still considering the upgrade question like me. Please don’t hesitate to try a hi end DAC with your D amp. You can be surprised.
Expert is still a very good amp and so beautiful objets to my eyes.
If someone has an 1000 Pro or 440Pro with an Lumin product please share your reviews.
I think it’s a good match in despite Devialet philosophy.

Please can you explain how an external DAC playing through a Devialet amplifier can sound any different? Surely it does not matter what input you use you are always listening to the DAC in the Devialet.

Using an external DAC into the line input means that the analog signal from the DAC is fed to the ADC in the Devialet and digitised before being fed to the DAC in the Devialet to be played, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
Yes correct. Like different SQ with different digital input. Some says SQ over WiFi is better than usb or Ethernet. I prefer ethernet/Air with my D.
The thing is since the external Dac Lumin A1 is plugged to my Devialet with Roon music never seems so alive in my listening room. I use the line input.
The change is noticeable my partner is totally stranger from Hifi end has noticed the move.
I have tried an Audio GD NOS Dac with my D and no real change compare with D alone.
Trust your ears and try a Lumin Dac with your D.
For me is the good match.
France