Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS 2.8.5 - Password for speaker
(19-Jan-2020, 21:49)NYant69 Wrote: Hey guys thru reading your feedback I believe I know why I haven’t been able to prevent access via Bluetooth.

I don’t have firmware 2.8.1 or 2.8.5, my unit was purchased 9 days ago and it came with firmware 2.8.0

When I loaded the iOS Devialet App and pressed the button to make sure I had the latest software and it said I did it just didn’t dawn on me that this would not concurrently make sure the speaker had the latest software as well.

So now my next step will be to get the Phantom up to date with the latest firmware.

So now how do I go about getting to the latest firmware? ?

Must I uploaded to the unit every update between 2.8.0 and 2.8.5 ? Or would just uploading 2.8.5 automatically get me from 2.8.0 to 2.8.5 ?

How many updates have there been from 2.8.0 to 2.8.5 ? Based on naming alone would lead me to believe 5.

And how are these updates even done ?

Sorry for any confusion,
Thanks again for your patience and help.

Hi @NYant69,

DOS 2.8 is the latest version, of which here are at least four patch release levels currently "out in the wild": 2.8.0, 2.8.1, 2.8.3 and 2.8.5.  It seems that the "latest" release for your Phantoms will depend on their exact hardware configuration (which varies constantly based on parts supply etc) and will be something only Devialet will know, users here on the board on each of the aforementioned four releases are reporting that their speakers see them as "latest".  Devialet controls the rules which define the "latest" release for a given configuration in their CMS and the user's app appears to check this every time it is started.  It further appears that updates are cumulative, in other words, 2.8.5 includes all the changes in 2.8.3, 2.8.1 etc. so you can "skip" versions when updating.  Devialet support is able to "push" specific versions if they know they solve a problem you have reported.  In practice this means they edit the rules for your specific speaker(s) in the CMS so they see that version as "latest" as well as sending a message to your app that lets it know there is something new.  You will then be prompted to download and install the update.

So rest assured that you are on the "latest" (generally available) version for your hardware as long as your app is telling you that is the case.  The next generally available version, which is expected to be pushed to all hardware versions, is 2.9.0 which is currently in beta 2 status.  However given Devialet's track record that means production release could be anything from a couple of weeks away to never.  I wouldn't sweat it that there are later patch releases available, if you are not experiencing problems then my advice would be to just sit pretty.  My Golds, now 3 years old, are both on 2.8.3 and performing fine, while others with 2.8.5 are experiencing problems I am not.  

Btw, you can tell the real age of your speakers, i.e. the actual date of manufacture, from the serial number.  The first letter is the year, where M is 2019, N is 2020 etc. and the next two digits are the week number.
Hi NYant69

Struts explanation is very good - my devialet app reports I have the latest version - in my case 2.8.1 but the implication on the DOS2 bluetooth help page is that all versions of DOS2 work the same way.

In your Devialet app do you have the BLUETOOTH>ACTIVATE button?

I have noted that a colleague with an Iphone who did once connect with bluetooth still sees the Phantom listed (even when its not ON!) which seems to be part of bluetooth itself. Of course he can't actually connect but the device remains listed.

Are you sure bluetooth is on if you remove the device from your phone/pc and rescan without activating it in the Devialet app?

kantblue

PS I'm not sure as I'm not a bluetooth fan, but it seems to be that the Phantom bluetooth might always be ON but is only discoverable/connectable during the brief ACTIVATION period - a bit like hiding the SSID for WIFI. I'm not sure if there are bluetooth scanners out there that can detect and connect to these devices. Certainly if this is the case then a Bluetooth password would be preferred!
(20-Jan-2020, 11:17)kantblue Wrote: Hi NYant69

Struts explanation is very good - my devialet app reports I have the latest version - in my case 2.8.1 but the implication on the DOS2 bluetooth help page is that all versions of DOS2 work the same way.

In your Devialet app do you have the BLUETOOTH>ACTIVATE button?

I have noted that a colleague with an Iphone who did once connect with bluetooth still sees the Phantom listed (even when its not ON!) which seems to be part of bluetooth itself. Of course he can't actually connect but the device remains listed.

Are you sure bluetooth is on if you remove the device from your phone/pc and rescan without activating it in the Devialet app?

kantblue

PS I'm not sure as I'm not a bluetooth fan, but it seems to be that the Phantom bluetooth might always be ON but is only discoverable/connectable during the brief ACTIVATION period - a bit like hiding the SSID for WIFI. I'm not sure if there are bluetooth scanners out there that can detect and connect to these devices. Certainly if this is the case then a Bluetooth password would be preferred!
Struts and KantBlue thank you both for your help. I reached out to Devialet to please help me update the firmware to a point where the option to make Bluetooth discoverable with a button exist and they did reply quickly but not to my specific request but more of a general response. 

From what I believe if my firmware is 2.8.0 then my Phantom came with DOS 2 on it out of the box. But yet Devialet sent me an email with a link explaining the pros and cons of migrating to DOS 2 and how if I chose to do so I would need to first have had Spark connected to my speaker via DOS 1. But this does absolutely nothing for me if my unit came with DOS 2 installed. 

I have never been able to use the Spark app or the Phantom app and I suspect its because I have DOS 2 which the Spark and Phantom don’t work with. If this is the case why in the world would a Devialet rep send me the info to migrate ???

Or am I off some how ?

All I want is to be able to prevent anyone from connecting to my Phantom via Bluetooth!
Hi NYant69

The Spark app does not work with DOS2 but I'm not sure what you mean by the PHANTOM app?

The app you need for DOS2 is the 'DEVIALET' one so I'm checking that you are using the correct app.

If you have the correct app, do you have any idea why it doesn't work? What happens when you launch it? Have you tried the app on a different phone/ipad?

kantblue

PS I've just had a thought - if you haven't been able to launch the Devialet app then you haven't been able to setup your Phantom which I believe uses bluetooth to setup so it may be that its still in 'setup' mode in which case its likely bluetooth is on always. Once you have integrated the phantom into your wifi/ethernet network you shouldn't see it with bluetooth unless you activate in the 'devialet' app. What is the name of your bluetooth phantom? If its a serial number or product number your phantom hasn't been setup.

PPS - just stopped being lazy and gone through the previous posts - I notice you say you have installed and are running the 'Devialet' app so the PS above is not relevant but I will leave it in place in case it helps anyone else! If you don't have the Bluetooth>Activate button then it must be down to 2.8.0 unless you have a different version of the Devialet app - mine is showing as 1.10 (10008).
“Devialet Phantom Remote” (gray ‘Phantom’ on white background) is a legacy remote control app for Phantoms from the DOS 1 era. It is still available on the App Store which is pretty confusing for customers. Like Spark this will not work with Phantoms running DOS 2.

With three different legacy apps all offering different but overlapping functionality it is not hard to see why Devialet is trying to unify around the new “Devialet” (white ‘D’ on black background) app!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk