Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS Upgrade => ++Sound Quality
(18-Feb-2021, 16:16)KarlMarx Wrote: Yes, SonarWorks generates a AudioUnit/VST plugin and Audirvana seamlessly supports it. This feature and audibly better sound quality were the definitive deciding factors for putting the final nail in Roon's coffin, as much as I like its interface... Roon cannot do pure software DSP that I am aware of...
What is your definition of pure SW DSP? Roon has SW DSP for parametric eq. filters, FIR filters, and much more. Definitely FIR filters are available for room correction or whatever virtual room behavior like churches, cathedrals, or studio rooms you like to simulate or correct. You can load individual filters for every sampling frequency. I don’t see much that could not be done, thus agree being able to use the vast availability of VST plugins would enrich what Roon offers on DSP.
(11-Feb-2021, 22:18)struts Wrote:
(11-Feb-2021, 21:20)KarlMarx Wrote:
(11-Feb-2021, 21:07)struts Wrote: In my testing (see here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantoms...#pid100012) on my K28 Phantom Golds with DOS 2.12.3 Audirvana/UPnP behaved identically to Roon/RAAT with both 24/192 and 24/96 material.  Now we can see the full signal path in Roon 1.8 we can see that the Phantom is indeed downsampling internally to 24/48.

You can see the path with RAAT and not Ethernet UPnP, so yes, RAAT signal is downsampled but your UPnP speculation is as good as mine, there is no way to know yet if the Phantoms are downsampling it.

No, I think my UPnP speculation is better than yours!  Haha. But seriously, all the evidence we have suggests that the Phantom is downsampling everything (with the possible exception of Optical Direct) to 24/48 prior to DAC.  I can’t prove it of course - until I get my UMIK-2.  Will report back when I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Devialet;

In the DOS 2.12.3 release, Devialet has upgraded the audio pipeline from 16 to 24 bits, which provides the pipeline sound quality superior to all previously published DOS versions. We chose to limit the input sampling rate to 96 kHz to ensure stability and performance. Indeed, in some situations (depending on network conditions and the number of speakers), there may be stability issues with 176.4/192 kHz. Even though we do not limit the input file sampling rate on UPnP for compatibility purposes, we do recommend that our users limit playback to 96 kHz / 24 bits, if it is supported by their UPnP server. In any case, our operating system processes Roon and UPnP inputs in exactly the same way and may resample the original stream at the end of the signal path to ensure maximum stability.” 
The sound quality has increased significantly!!

Good job devialet!
(18-Feb-2021, 16:16)KarlMarx Wrote:
(17-Feb-2021, 17:12)torikelz4545 Wrote:
(11-Feb-2021, 16:47)KarlMarx Wrote: 10 days since I installed the new firmware on my pair of Golds and the sound coming from them is undoubtedly superior from any previous firmware. The sound is blowing me away, the textural subtleties, air and musicality that I am hearing remind me of the Kharma/Nagra/ASR system I had before scaling down. This is not a placebo effect, I have been playing recordings I know very well and the up-quality was also immediately recognized by my son, who is a classically trained composer and cellist. I feel like I just upgraded my speakers to something much superior, in short, Im quite happy about the firmware and couldn't care less for Roon RAAT, it doesnt sound nearly as good as Audirvana over wired UPnP.

This is my system setup:

SSD MacMini --> Audirvana + SonarWorks DSP --> UPnP Ethernet --> Phantoms Gold

On the sampling controversy, Audirvana sends 24/192 and I think that via UPnP Ethernet it doesnt get downsampled. Of course, there is no way of knowing this now, its just my guess.

Hi, how do you get SonarWorks DSP to work with Audirvana and send it to UPnP input of Phantom?

I know Phantom suppors UPnP and Audirvana plays to UPnP renderers.

But how does SonarWorks work also?

Is it a plugin?

Yes, SonarWorks generates a AudioUnit/VST plugin and Audirvana seamlessly supports it. This feature and audibly better sound quality were the definitive deciding factors for putting the final nail in Roon's coffin, as much as I like its interface... Roon cannot do pure software DSP that I am aware of...

I am using Sonarworks and Roon, but had to sacrifice UPnP. I run the Audio through a Focusrite Scarlett 8i2 and Toslink to the speakers. Sonarworks I am using as a VST plugin in the Ableton Lite DAW coming with the Scarlett. Ableton and Roon are running on the same Windows10 server. A disadvantage is volume control. For that reason I have two remotes in the room. An advantage is that this setup enables me to use Sonarworks easily as well for my record player and an old CD player, which does not have digital out. The setup is very stable.