Poll: Are you considering a Dac-less streamer for your Devialet?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No - I'm happy with AIR or other computer-based solution
29.03%
54 29.03%
No - I already own one
38.71%
72 38.71%
Yes!
32.26%
60 32.26%
Total 186 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dac-less streamer survey!
(25-Feb-2015, 08:43)amabrok Wrote:
(25-Feb-2015, 05:54)Jnan_devi Wrote: Thanks Amabrok! updated my spread sheet

Updated list of Network Players (no priority at this time, i m sure folks on the forum already has some preference already)

Totaldac D1
Aurender X100
Bryston BDP-1/2
Aria steamer
Aria mini
Auralic Aries 
Aurender N 
Antipodes DX, DV
Melco N1A
NAD M50
3D Lab Nano Transport
Pioneer N-70 streamer
Denon DNP
Yamaha NP
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(25-Feb-2015, 08:55)Jean-Marie Wrote: I answered that I'm happy with air, but if Dialog turns out to be a nice solution allowing me to keep my computers outside of the the path, I may be tempted.

Jean-Marie

But it can't possibly be any good - it is not expensive enough.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(25-Feb-2015, 09:28)NickB Wrote:
(25-Feb-2015, 08:55)Jean-Marie Wrote: I answered that I'm happy with air, but if Dialog turns out to be a nice solution allowing me to keep my computers outside of the the path, I may be tempted.

Jean-Marie

But it can't possibly be any good - it is not expensive enough.
I was told that the Dialog is being sold direct and more or less at cost in order to drive Phantom sales.  That is, if it had the normal hifi retail chain mark ups and profit margins etc, then you would be looking at something in the 1200Euro range.  How true this is, I can't realy say, although it sounds possible.  The real proof will be in the listening, that is if they ever get the thing to work with the "Expert" range.
(25-Feb-2015, 09:08)Jnan_devi Wrote:
(25-Feb-2015, 08:43)amabrok Wrote:
(25-Feb-2015, 05:54)Jnan_devi Wrote: Thanks Amabrok! updated my spread sheet

Updated list of Network Players (no priority at this time, i m sure folks on the forum already has some preference already)

Totaldac D1
Aurender X100
Bryston BDP-1/2
Aria steamer
Aria mini
Auralic Aries 
Aurender N 
Antipodes DX, DV
Melco N1A
NAD M50
3D Lab Nano Transport
Pioneer N-70 streamer
Denon DNP
Yamaha NP

Great idea to start a list as its so difficult to keep track of what's out there Wink  

Ideally we should have a matrix to show the features that streamers include e.g. optical drive for ripping CDs, internal HDD storage, DAC, inputs, outputs etc.

Maybe it would be best to start with just a simple list of streamers that don't have DACs i.e. exclude the Pioneer N70 etc. that do
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Phil - agree with you regarding DAC less NPs. Will start another thread with list of streamers.
Just checked, Yamaha NP has DAC in it.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Denon DNP has DAC. does not have AEB and USB output. I will remove it from the list but will maintain in my spread sheet.

I will post this after the coming weekend.
I heard the Aurender X100L 12T today at the audio store.   Very impressive.   Super quiet and excellent sound stage. Wow.

Closest to vinyl that I have ever heard, in fact at that point the sound is so good that it could be a question of taste.   I compared the X100L (tidal) to vinyl and I liked both.  Of course tidal is so much easier than vinyl.

I will be testing the X100L (tidal) with a usb audio quest diamond in my system for a couple of days.  3d labs in not easy to get in Canada.

D200, gyro se, yba cd1, Magnum Dynalab 90T, sonos w4s, siltech ls88 sc, siltech 330i, kimber 1121, kimber dv30, shunyata hydra 8, shunyata Python pc's, sonus faber guarneri hommage.
[size=x-small]D1000pro, Sonus Faber Amati anniversary, siltech ls88 cables, direct tv, Apple TV, Xbox, Sony projector.

Second system.. d440pro, Sonus Faber Cremona speakers, Mitchell gyro se turntable with cadenza blue, direct tv, Apple TV , sunfire subwoofer, Sony tv.

Third system... d-premier, Opera sp2 speakers , direct tv, Apple TV , Xbox, Sony tv.
(25-Feb-2015, 12:41)Jnan_devi Wrote: Phil - agree with you regarding DAC less NPs. Will start another thread with list of streamers.
Just checked, Yamaha NP has DAC in it.

Should we perhaps keep streamers with DAC on a separate sub-list?  The logic of excluding streamers with DAC's is clear, if a DAC is there then you are paying for something you do not need.  However, it is just possible that for a particular level of sound quality / functionality / price, then maybe a particular DAC equipped item might actually be best?  Furthermore, interesting DAC equipped items exist at all price levels, from the lower cost Japanese stuff right upto the Astell & Kern AK500 at £9k?  Just a thought!  Obviously, such an item will need decent digital out connectivity.

As a final thought, another DAC free item for the list, the Krell Connect.
(26-Feb-2015, 13:53)Confused Wrote: Should we perhaps keep streamers with DAC on a separate sub-list?  The logic of excluding streamers with DAC's is clear, if a DAC is there then you are paying for something you do not need.  However, it is just possible that for a particular level of sound quality / functionality / price, then maybe a particular DAC equipped item might actually be best?  Furthermore, interesting DAC equipped items exist at all price levels, from the lower cost Japanese stuff right upto the Astell & Kern AK500 at £9k?  Just a thought!  Obviously, such an item will need decent digital out connectivity.

As a final thought, another DAC free item for the list, the Krell Connect.

Yes the Krell Connect could be interesting @ £2,500. It's been out for a while now but I haven't heard one.

Re streamers w/ DACs, exactly! The Linn Akurate could be an interesting one for example. It has a digital output and would give you access to Linn Kazoo which is a great looking control point and has super Tidal integration. It costs £4,500 so possibly at the higher end of what one would want to pay particularly as it doesn't include storage. Could be a good buy s/h though. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
What I find interesting in this discussion is that we are definitely seeing more streamers coming out that incorporate an element of storage, for e.g. the Aurenders, Aria, Melco, Antipodes etc.

Storage is evidently a key part of streaming as is the network to deliver the music data to the streamer/DAC.

What we are beginning to see is more attention being paid to networking setups to supposedly minimise electrical noise, for e.g. the use of a Teddy Pardo power supply with a NAS, the move to fanless NAS drives (for e.g. QNAP HS 210) and the use of SSD instead of HDD... I myself have been amazed by SQ improvements when upgrading routers and isolating/grounding a NAS...

So with these all-in-one boxes you are effectively addressing all these areas, you're not just removing your computer from the audio chain but also your network, switch etc. Interesting!  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK