Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DSD via USB
There is a good discussion on what is native DSD in this article.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue78/dsd.htm

While the Devialet includes a DAC chip that is classified as "native" by the article, it does its processing in high bit PCM - to run it native would imply defeating the way volume is implemented in the aDH technology.
Oslo: sources: Mac Mini/Itunes/Audirvana,  glassfiber toslink/Mapleshade clearview USB to D200;
Double helix to Gallo Strada 2 with mapleshade stands, TR3 subwoofer.

Spain: Oppo 95 vacuumstate modded, Kimber select 1021, Linn Classik Movie Di to Gallo Solos through Goertz Python cable

(02-Jun-2015, 20:52)AllenB Wrote: Well I'm a little confused!!

I tried out DSD via Audirvana Plus 2 on USB to my Dev 200 with 8.0 firmware. Nice.

I have posted elsewhere that I felt sound quality had stepped down from 7.1.3, so I reverted back to that firmware at the weekend. A couple of days later (this evening) and I hit play on the DSD files in A+2, forgetting that I had downgraded the firmware, and it has played, no problem.

Only I can think is that A+2 has converted the DSD to PCM prior to feeding my 200. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Or just barking?  Big Grin

Audirvana+ sends the DSD files out via DoP (DSD over PCM) which means DSD  in a PCM file format so still not converted to PCM. The conversion occurs via the MAT algorithm in your D200.
I think AllenB meant why did the DSD files play succesfully after he reverted back to FW 7.1.3 which has no DSD(DoP) support. Smile I don't think there's any other explanation for it then that A+2 is indeed enabled to auto downconvert to PCM if no DSD native/DoP capable DAC is 'detected'.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands