Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Back Cover
Hi guys,
I might be going nuts, but I was just wondering if people have found any audio difference in having the back cover of their Devialet On / Off.
I came across this when I was setting up my Devialet 800 and noticed a change in SQ when the cover is On / Off for my system.
I took both back covers off my amps and put them behind my ears. It sounds way louder. It's like having an extra 100Watt
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(02-Jan-2019, 11:16)Pim Wrote: I took both back covers off my amps and put them behind my ears. It sounds way louder. It's like having an extra 100Watt

Oh god, I'm falling right off the chair laughing! Big Grin
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(02-Jan-2019, 02:18)cyberkank Wrote: Hi guys,
I might be going nuts, but I was just wondering if people have found any audio difference in having the back cover of their Devialet On / Off.
I came across this when I was setting up my Devialet 800 and noticed a change in SQ when the cover is On / Off for my system.

Don't let them make fun of you Big Grin . Your perception is right on. Big and massive metal parts give more eddy currents to the signal. If you hear an improvement in SQ when the backcovers are off you can also try to turn off the outer clamps of the speaker posts off the posts (assuming that you use bananas with your speaker cables). You have to turn and pull at the end of the post using some power to get them off. This will give you even less eddy currents on the speaker cable hence further SQ improvement.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(02-Jan-2019, 19:12)yabaVR Wrote:

Don't let them make fun of you Big Grin . Your perception is right on. Big and massive metal parts give more eddy currents to the signal. If you hear an improvement in SQ when the backcovers are off you can also try to turn off the outer clamps of the speaker posts off the posts (assuming that you use bananas with your speaker cables). You have to turn and pull at the end of the post using some power to get them off. This will give you even less eddy currents on the speaker cable hence further SQ improvement.

gui
Thanks,
Are you suggesting pulling out the unused speaker posts? Or just pull out the speaker posts that currently has the banana plugs so they aren't touching the back metal?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
(02-Jan-2019, 19:19)cyberkank Wrote:
(02-Jan-2019, 19:12)yabaVR Wrote:

gui
Thanks,
Are you suggesting pulling out the unused speaker posts? Or just pull out the speaker posts that currently has the banana plugs so they aren't touching the back metal?

I took off the plastic covers on the posts that are in use. To be honest, I couldn’t tell much difference, but that’s probably my hearing. I left them off as they are of no use when using bananas.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I never fitted mine as it does not fit the cabinet it is in. Besides that, the IEC plug would make the lid stand proud
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
(03-Jan-2019, 11:52)Axel Wrote:
(02-Jan-2019, 19:19)cyberkank Wrote:
(02-Jan-2019, 19:12)yabaVR Wrote: Don't let them make fun of you Big Grin . Your perception is right on. Big and massive metal parts give more eddy currents to the signal. If you hear an improvement in SQ when the backcovers are off you can also try to turn off the outer clamps of the speaker posts off the posts (assuming that you use bananas with your speaker cables). You have to turn and pull at the end of the post using some power to get them off. This will give you even less eddy currents on the speaker cable hence further SQ improvement.

gui
Thanks,

I took off the plastic covers on the posts that are in use. To be honest, I couldn’t tell much difference, but that’s probably my hearing. I left them off as they are of no use when using bananas.

Hi, I think it's nice if not everything is so deadly serious! Fun has to be! Big Grin
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Yeah...fun is all right...allthough cyberkank's question was meant serious.  And he's right on with what he hears.

Speakerposts...you can turn the back of the speakerpost loose (the crystal plastic with the golden brass in it). You turn it loose till it stopps...then you turn/pull at the same time to get them off. You do this for all four posts. The rest of the posts stays in the housing. 
This is not for everyone and not everyone will hear a difference but it does mean it's fun to listen to your music then if your system's got the ability to let you hear a difference (even be it small).

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
A long standing exponent of minimal amounts of metal is DNM whose views are set out here:

http://www.dnm.co.uk/materials.html
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England