Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Phantom Gold stereo pair + another bluetooth speaker
Hello there, I need some advice or ideas...

I was amazed by the sound of the speakers when I went to a test at the shop and I decided to buy a pair of Golds. After I've set them up at home the sound wasn't nearly as close as good as that one from the shop. I've tried to reposition them in different ways but still no luck. Maybe my living room has not good acoustics but I was expecting the bass to be more punchy considering the room has only 37 square meters. 
I want to know if the Devialet speakers can work in conjunction with other Bluetooth speakers. For example, if I will buy more accessible speakers with airplay 2 to set them in the back of the room to compensate a bit.  Are there any sound delays between the speakers if I use airplay 2?  Also what other Bluetooth speakers do you recommend that are in a more reasonable price range. Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed. Cheers!
(03-Sep-2021, 01:08)cicirrigi Wrote: Hello there, I need some advice or ideas...

I was amazed by the sound of the speakers when I went to a test at the shop and I decided to buy a pair of Golds. After I've set them up at home the sound wasn't nearly as close as good as that one from the shop. I've tried to reposition them in different ways but still no luck. Maybe my living room has not good acoustics but I was expecting the bass to be more punchy considering the room has only 37 square meters. 
I want to know if the Devialet speakers can work in conjunction with other Bluetooth speakers. For example, if I will buy more accessible speakers with airplay 2 to set them in the back of the room to compensate a bit.  Are there any sound delays between the speakers if I use airplay 2?  Also what other Bluetooth speakers do you recommend that are in a more reasonable price range. Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed. Cheers!
1. Make sure the speakers are not in late night mode.
2. If you don’t care about imaging or soundstage as much as bass, put one in each corner it might help but if it doesn’t it might be your room. Play frequency sweeps from 15hz to 120hz and find out which frequencies have a boost and which are less loud. You might have a room mode at around 40-50hz which is the typical bass kicks in today’s music. 
3. If you can, try a different room
4. Try only one phantom, using 2 might be canceling each other out which I doubt.
5. If none of these work, then it’s probably the phantoms.

Hope this helps Smile
Devialet market the Phantoms as lifestyle speakers, which wrongly implies that you can place them anywhere you like and on anything. Please treat the Golds like any good pair of Hifi speakers. Put them on stands and position them properly in the room.
I found that simply angling the speakers 15 degrees inward also helps with reducing bass cancellation waves...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
You may also be running out of power from the wall, if you are hearing any break up in the bass.
Neko Audio
If you're thinking you need to supplement 2 Golds in one room, you either have a room that's 100 yards long, or there's something wrong with your setup. I can wake the neighbors with a clear, crisp sound at volume 70. At 100, their pictures are falling off the wall. These speakers do not need to be supplemented.
(07-Sep-2021, 00:03)franm Wrote: If you're thinking you need to supplement 2 Golds in one room, you either have a room that's 100 yards long, or there's something wrong with your setup. I can wake the neighbors with a clear, crisp sound at volume 70. At 100, their pictures are falling off the wall. These speakers do not need to be supplemented.

+1
Thank you all for replying.
 I've tried only one phantom as suggested and sounds very good. I have tried the other one as well same thing. So the phantoms are good.I've noticed that if the phantoms are not configured as a stereo pair the sound is great and the volume can go higher. I've played same songs with the speakers configured as stereo pair and with them separate, casting the music via airplay. With them separate there is a noticeable difference in bass and volume... as soon as I link them as a stereo pair the bass is not that powerful and the max volume is not the same.
So I've found a way to improve the sound but I don't know if that with them separate the sound is still stereo also I need to pay attention to set the same volume for each speaker.
Can anyone who has 2 speakers test and confirm this? Casting music via airplay with the speakers configured as a stereo pair and then with them configured as individual speakers.
Cheers Heart
(11-Sep-2021, 20:38)cicirrigi Wrote: Thank you all for replying.
 I've tried only one phantom as suggested and sounds very good. I have tried the other one as well same thing. So the phantoms are good.I've noticed that if the phantoms are not configured as a stereo pair the sound is great and the volume can go higher. I've played same songs with the speakers configured as stereo pair and with them separate, casting the music via airplay. With them separate there is a noticeable difference in bass and volume... as soon as I link them as a stereo pair the bass is not that powerful and the max volume is not the same.
So I've found a way to improve the sound but I don't know if that with them separate the sound is still stereo also I need to pay attention to set the same volume for each speaker.
Can anyone who has 2 speakers test and confirm this? Casting music via airplay with the speakers configured as a stereo pair and then with them configured as individual speakers.
Cheers Heart
It does depend on how you listen to music.  If you are looking for loud and lots of bass, then a single one may do or set them as a 2 monos .  However, you are looking for the sound stage and details, then a properly set up stereo pair is the way to go.  As long as you like the Phantoms, that is all that counts...