Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet and Obsolescence?
A case of brilliant hardware let down by dodgy software.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Still having my hopes up for the May update that would make us all happy as they promised us some months ago.
Wishful thinking prolly, I know...
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(16-Apr-2016, 17:34).mdconnelly Wrote: I've been a Devialet Expert owner now for 10 months.   I love my 200, but I'll admit to becoming a bit disillusioned with the company.   They created a product with the intent to continue to support and improve it through firmware and software improvements.  That commitment played a part in my purchase decision.  Was it just marketing-speak?  Over the course of this last year, all I've seen is heavy focus on their new speakers with no apparent effort to address real issues from existing customers (e.g... AIR). Contacting support yielded some very polite messages but absolutely no results nor insight.

When I bought the 200, I felt certain I would pick up a companion to make it a 400 within a year as finances became available.   Now I'm on the fence about that decision...

I want to believe in Devialet the company as much as I do their product, but they're not making it easy.  I'm hoping the next few months will turn that perception around.
I'm in the same boat. I bought my D200 in January 2014 and the Dialog (still in its box) in December of that year.  I confess that I've given up waiting for any meaningful streaming solution for the Expert.  Have decided to cut my losses, and am currently awaiting demo of Kii Audio 3 - which will replace the D200 and speakers.  I really hope that Devialet doesn't go the way of Slim Devices - an amazing engineering company with a truly innovative product,  re-funded by VCs - who then focus purely on the P&L and their exit strategy.
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
I'm planning my departure from Devialet, too. Kii 3 is another innovative product but we couldn't get it here in China.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I bought my D200 only recently (dec 2015) after an extended search and comparison between other amps in its price range. I've heard Kii 3 as well. For me Kii 3 simply didn't do it for me but I get the appeal. I never considered using Air as its source since i owned a very decent streamer I now use as renderer. I can only say that as an amp / dac I consider the Devialets a very good product that perform very well for what they cost. That said it also took me a while to match my system and cables to get the best SQ. Right now I'm working on getting funds for the companion. If I would have to start from scratch I would still buy a Devialet but most like buy a Aurender N10 as source. The only advise I can give those who are disappointed by Deviatet is: audition other products and let your ears decide. I did the same and despite it's shortcomings decided to buy the D200 anyway. Good luck on the road to Audio Heaven!
Amp / Dac: Devialet 400 = Speakers: Audio Physic Cadeas + VCF V Magnetic Source: Naim NDX - TeddyXps - Naim Unitiserve - Teddy Pardo PSU = Speakercables: Audioquest Redwood = Dig. Interlink: Audioquest Diamond (Bnc - Rca) = Master / Companion link: Audioquest Diamond (RCA - Aes/Ebu) = Ethernet: Audioquest Diamond RJ/E = Powercords: Shunyata Black Mamba VX, Black Mamba VX HC, Shunyata Viper Ztron 

The Netherlands

Devialet and the AIR fiasco is making everyone want to jump ship.

I think about it every once in a while as well and then I remember I'll need seperates, a dac and a bunch of cables to achieve what I want outside Devialet?

I'll just use a USB cable thank you.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Just my 5 cent to

al u need is a one cable and a source ,how many can beat that ?
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
I am happy with my rig. Since I had an Aurender, AIR wasn't a factor. I do have gripes but the sound is too good.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(28-Apr-2016, 16:28)rwjr44 Wrote: I am happy with my rig. Since I had an Aurender, AIR wasn't a factor. I do have gripes but the sound is too good.

+1.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
To be clear, I am still totally mesmerized by the sound of my Devialet 200. Not looking to jump ship at all. But, my observation of Devialet, the company, over the course of the last 10 months has tempered my enthusiasm to acquire a Companion. While frustrated by the AIR fiasco, there are plenty of excellent and reasonably priced alternatives to streaming so I'm fine with simply not using AIR yet still loving the sound my of Devialet 200 driven system. My biggest problem with Devialet is simply their lack of communication and response to real customer issues.

So I'll postpone any decision about the Companion for a few more months. Things will either get better or not. The risk that they run is that new tech comes along all the time which, when combined with somewhat disgruntled customers, only plays out one way.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA