Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet $ vs Euro
Flying to Europe and picking it up would seem like a better bet at that price. They’d throw in a free carrier bag and you could have a mini break too, and still have plenty of cash left to start spending on upsamplers, cables, power conditioners, clocks and resonance devices. Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(14-Nov-2018, 05:49)Brendanalun Wrote: Why is the $ price of the dev 1000 dual pro cost $49000 and the Euro 27900? Whats with the huge difference?

Bren

If it is indeed Aus Dollars. Just the exchange rate conversion takes you to 43,500 AUD. Then you must add 5% import duties and 10% GST on top of that which equates to 50,200 AUD.

(disclosure: I'm not Australian, don't live there and the info is based on Google hits)

Devialet 440PRO CI/ Mola Mola Tambaqui + Kalugas / Vivid Audio Giya G2
Cape Town, South Africa
(16-Nov-2018, 09:53)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Flying to Europe and picking it up would seem like a better bet at that price. They’d throw in a free carrier bag and you could have a mini break too, and still have plenty of cash left to start spending on upsamplers, cables, power conditioners, clocks and resonance devices. Smile

Or....   Buy a second hand O'dA from someone in Europe, get the free upgrade to 1000Pro CI spec.  Then you basically have a brand new 1000Pro in terms of the electronics, together with the lovely limited edition copper gold finish, together with a substantial cost saving.  I'm not sure if anyone on this forum is smart enough to pull that one off though? ......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
If You buy in France you would probably receive a VAT refund of 20% and pay Tax and GST for the net value.
220 PRO/CI, Martin Logan Montis, HMS Gran Finale MK II, FritzBox 7590, Audirvana via USB, Tidal Hifi, - South Germany
My bad, sorry guys, seems like it was Singapore website.
https://www.devialet.com/en-sg/expert-10...amplifier/
my 2 cents...

Price differences are not necessarily explained by plain maths. Being French living in the US, I can share that the US price that I see on such high-end European products is often much higher here in the US. My guess is that the US market is simply more willing to pay big $, and therefore OEMs such as Devialet and their distributors can afford to get better margins.

I had the experience of buying both my Expert 120 and Clearaudio turntable (which is of German origin), and in both cases found it (much) more interesting to buy them from French stores. 

For the 120, I bought it along with the Atom GT1s from Devialet Paris flagship store and elected to have them shipped, which prevented me from getting the VAT refund. Still, even after adding the FedEx shipping cost, I paid something like 1,000 USD less than what I could find in the US. 

For the turntable, I was able to buy it during a business trip and bring it back with me on the plane, which gave me a 15%+ VAT refund, and overall I paid close to half price from what I could find here in the US.

Beyond this personal experience, depending on your country of residence and personal situation (typically whether you're a permanent or non-permanent resident), you may also have to factor an import tax...
Devialet Expert 220 Pro (upgraded from 120) + Atohm GT1 + Clearaudio Concept Wood (MM) - now back in Paris, France
Let’s just say I'm glad I bought my 140 in Dubai—deal I can’t mention but best impulse buy yet.
One can save in the U.S. by buying via a Canadian dealer. Seventy-five cents U.S. (or thereabouts) buys one Canadian dollar. The power cords are the same in Canada as the U.S. Shipping is typically built-in to the price and there are no cross-border fees.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.