Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easiest way to get radio into Devialet?
just a short question.

I like the idea of using TuneIn for listening to the radio.

As my toslink slot is already in use for my CD Player, I only have the Optical 2 (mini Toslink) slot still free.

Can I buy Chromecast Audio and connect it via a toslink mini - toslink mini cable and stream from app to chromecast?
(19-Feb-2016, 23:08)k1282 Wrote: just a short question.

As my toslink slot is already in use for my CD Player, I only have the Optical 2 (mini Toslink) slot still free.

Can I buy Chromecast Audio and connect it via a toslink mini - toslink mini cable and stream from app to chromecast?

Yes.

Technically speaking, in Tunein's case you don't stream from the App to Chromecast - the App tells Chromecast what you want to stream and Chromecast makes a direct connection. There is a lag of a couple of seconds while it sorts itself out and buffers, and then you're good - you can shutdown the App or use the iPad for something else and it doesn't affect the stream - until it receives another message to stream (or stop). I accidentally left mine streaming all day initially - I'm not bandwidth limited but it's still a waste IMO so I press stop if I can.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(19-Feb-2016, 23:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Yes.

Technically speaking, in Tunein's case you don't stream from the App to Chromecast - the App tells Chromecast what you want to stream and Chromecast makes a direct connection. There is a lag of a couple of seconds while it sorts itself out and buffers, and then you're good - you can shutdown the App or use the iPad for something else and it doesn't affect the stream - until it receives another message to stream (or stop). I accidentally left mine streaming all day initially - I'm not bandwidth limited but it's still a waste IMO so I press stop if I can.

sounds fine.

but I have a cable question:
given that only my optical 2 slot is free at the D200, do i have to buy a mini toslink to mini toslink cable or can I use the included 3.5-mm stereo cable?
(19-Feb-2016, 23:39)k1282 Wrote:
(19-Feb-2016, 23:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Yes.

sounds fine.

but I have a cable question:
given that only my optical 2 slot is free at the D200, do i have to buy a mini toslink to mini toslink cable or can I use the included 3.5-mm stereo cable?

You need the toslink if you want it to be digital into the Devialet (and I'm sure you do).
Analogue would work too but I'm not sure where you'd plug the 3.5mm, you probably need a convertor to RCA?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Ok, so I'm deeply impressed with the little ChromecastAudio.

It's been rock solid so far, other than a short glitch on day 1, but then I was mucking about with it settin it up, so it could have just been something there, or the Internet radio stream - no idea. Since then I've got a good few days on it, and it's been faultless. I don't know why, but I guess after owning Devialet you just somehow expect network streaming to give you endless grief, but here this little £30 device - connected to wifi at the opposite end of the house - just does what it's meant to. Go figure! I even accidentally unplugged the wifi access point when I was cleaning, and after I connected it back up, the Chromecast picked up and carried on.

I can see this really taking off, and unless the Pi or Cubox are vastly superior running RoonBridge (when it comes out) I think I'll just grab a couple more.

I'm now running it with a LPS (for no reason other than I bought one for another purpose and it's not needed there yet), but couldn't tell you if it sounds better or not - I do like it's blue LED though.

Thanks to all those who offered help/suggestion.

If you want Radio (or other supported streaming like from Android phones) into your Devialet, and are happy for the solution to be cheap, I highly recommend you start here!

AS of today I am also a very satisfied chromecast audio user for Listening to radio via tunein. I was just waiting for the mini toslink adapter which arrived today. A ridiculously cheap solution for a great audio quality (well as good as radio can get) and user experience.

Thanks for the hint in this thread.

Now, we only need to hope that roon starts supporting Chromecast audio as an endpoint Wink
For those users with Roon - I believe Internet Radio support is on the roadmap...
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(05-Mar-2016, 22:31)baddog Wrote: For those users with Roon - I believe Internet Radio support is on the roadmap...

Better than that, a basic first version is coming in the next release 1.2.

Listening to Minnesota Public Radio classical stream now using a Mac Mini connected to the 400 with Audioquest Diamond USB.  The audio quality is fine, even at 128.
PS Audio P20 (2) and Power Bases (2), Aurender ACS10, Devialet 400, Martin Logan Neolith, Audioquest Wild & Diamond, Synergistic: Tranq  Base, FEQ, HFT, Black Box, Active Ground Block, Devialet Special Cords, Dedicated 20 amp circuits, Cryoed Romex.
Old thread, but if anyone is still interested... Smile

Even though Devialet officially says that internet radio via UPnP is not available:
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...e-Infinity
it's working just fine using BubbleUPnP. Just add the appropriate stream URL to the playlist and that's it.

BTW, if you are interested in Radio Paradise, as probably the best lossless internet radio - use Main Mix FLAC (with metadata) instead of Main Mix FLAC, because it's not working with Devialet for some reason.  Good old unknown stream format error: "Illegal MIME-type (code: 714)". It's working on internal BubbleUPnP renderer - I don't know what is the problem on Devialet with just this one stream - other FLAC streams are ok.

https://radioparadise.com/listen/stream-links
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7