Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet in : AIR vs. Core Infinity for SQ
Yes, I am one of those who is dragging his feet and not sending my Devialet to France for the Core Infinity update....YET.

But I know a LOT of you have.

Of those that have, and of those that use ethernet into their Devialet, I would like to pose this question....

As far as Sound Quality is concerned, which is/was better?

Ethernet with AIR or Ethernet with Core Infinity?
DELL Win 7 PC running Foobar2000+Fidelizer+JPLAY > Wireworld Starlight ETH Cat 8 > SOtM ISO-Cat 6 > Wireworld Platinum Starlight ETH Cat 8 > Devialet 130 Expert Pro > High Fidelity Cables Reveal speaker cables > Custom built 10" cabinets...(for now)
Hi, without a long talk or something: Ethernet with Core Infinity !! Is my opinion. Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Looking forward to this thread as in the early days I believe Devialet were very much of the opinion that no wire is better than anything.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I did a comparison of Roon AIR (Before CI) with my microRendu / Mutec MC3+USB. After installation of CI, I repeated this comparison. In both cases, the mucroRendu / Mutec MC3+USB combination was best, albeit by a small margin. This would suggest that the ultimate sound quality from the CI board is much the same as it was with AIR on the old Duet board.

There is a curious thing here though, since the CI board has been installed, I think everything sounds just a little bit better.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
So when you ask, which has better sound quality,

"Ethernet with AIR or Ethernet with Core Infinity?"

Is the question ethernet via AIR on an Expert Pro versus ethernet via AIR on an Expert Pro upgraded to the new Core Infinity board?

I have used an ethernet connection to my D440 Pro for quite a while. I have used Roon with its support for the AIR protocol for quite some time too. I can state that the sound quality is certainly as good and maybe even a little better, after the Expert Pro was upgraded with the Core Infinity board.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(23-Feb-2018, 06:02)baddog Wrote: I can state that the sound quality is certainly as good and maybe even a little better, after the Expert Pro was upgraded with the Core Infinity board.

Of course it's a different firmware, so what we are observing may be a result of the new firmware rather than the new CI board. Though at the end only SQ matters, whatever the underlying means.
Also Air v Ethernet v USB for those who didn't have UPnP before.

I found the Ethernet wired a little toppy early on, the recent beta has helped. For me the whole system has shifted a little in lots of small ways and needs some run in before I can tell what ends up being the best.

Overall I do feel the higher frequencies and vocal sound staging have improved.
Focal Sopra No2, 130 Expert Pro with CI upgrade, Melco N1A, TQ Black USB, EWA LS-XXV SC, Atlas Isolated PSU, Ethernet CAT6 via Netgear switch. Melco LAN and Player CAT6.