Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 220 Pro CI - Sub or no Sub
(11-Mar-2022, 01:38)zdenes Wrote: For about 6 years I was using the Devialet with Proac Response D80, pretty large speakers, and didn't think I needed a sub. 5 years ago I swapped to YG Acoustics Carmel and though I was missing the lowest notes (also doubles as home theatre with a projector, just like yours), so I added two ELAC SUB 2090 subwoofers. Also bought an XTZ Room Analyzer Pro II to be able to set them up correctly. It took well over a hundred hours of learning about room acoustics, sub integration, and settings, etc. I was able to integrate them perfectly (I think). I use both the high-pass and the low pass filters on the Dev and also delay the main speakers as all subs have several ms of delay because of their DSP (even if you don't use them). Not many amps can do that but the Dev can. I would say that without learning a lot and a measuring kit (or at least a mic and REW) integration is tough and you may be disappointed. Of the brands, I would go for JL Audio, REL, possibly SVS and the larger ELACs are good too.
I programmed the Dev remote that the middle button switches the sub out off and puts all bass frequencies back to the main speakers. This way I can immediately A/B test the system with the sub and high pass filter or just run the YGs full range. There is a substantial difference despite the fact the YGs go down to 35hz (-2dB).
BUT, if you are not willing (cannot) put in the time and energy to learn sub integration, you may be better off just buying bigger speakers.

wow, impressive... 
I'm clearly a newbie so the analyzer and the 100+ hr DIY project are not on the agenda (so far  Rolleyes ). but I'll get a sub and will definitely experiment...
Devialet Expert 220 Pro (upgraded from 120) + Atohm GT1 + Clearaudio Concept Wood (MM) - now back in Paris, France
Important note - "perfect" measurement is NOT equal to perfect sound. It's just a good starting point.

I have both XTZ Room Analyzer and UMiK-1 with REW.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Quick update to share that I went for an Atohm GT2 sub, wired to both amps. The preliminary setup is working fine, although I definitely feel that I'll need to spend some time experimenting (speaker location, amp and sub settings...). It may prove a little challenging but the various posts on the forum will certainly help...

Thanks for the various inputs, much appreciated... (as well as the flexibility offered by Devialet's configurator!)
Devialet Expert 220 Pro (upgraded from 120) + Atohm GT1 + Clearaudio Concept Wood (MM) - now back in Paris, France