Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.2.12
Hi

To me the quality improved. In fact IMHO it was a big jump no another level.

But it gets hotter ....

Best

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
farad super 3 (12v, sr orange fuse, furutech rodium ac inlet) -> daphile / diy streamer -> audioquest cinnamon toslink -> denafrips gaia -> transparent reference aes/ebu -> devialet 250pro ci -> transparent mws xl -> proac 3.8.

solid tech hybrid rack, shunyata hydra 8, shunyata anaconda helix alpha, shunyata python helix vx, dc cable farad level 2, isoacoustics orea bronze, ansuz darkz d2t.
(11-May-2018, 08:58)Graziano Wrote: Hi there!

I’m a new user to this forum. (Devialet 120)
I think the sound quality improved with this update, anyone agree? Huh I haven’t read so much in this thread so some of you maybe already have written the same  Blush

I'm not sure it's possible to run beta14 without pro and CI? Seems weird if you have a 120...
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
I just installed beta 14 version- had been running RC3 previously and it worked great.

with beta 14 I've noted a number of problems:

1.  It again appears that default startup settings (Sub sonic filter “ON” and subout “ON” are no longer remembered and need to be set manually using remote.  Unit starts up with subsonic filter “OFF” and subout “Off’ despite configurator settings.  Default startup settings were remembered in the RC3 version

2. Volume control on remote not working.

my set up:
devialet 220 with core infinity upgrade
signal source iPad air 2 with OS 11.3.1 
listening using spotify or airplay via ethernet wired connection
Same here, I installed the latest version of the firmware today and I spent some time trying it using Roon connected via ethernet.
I started with up sampling to power of 2 so generally up to 176.4, then I switched up to 192 and eventually moved to DSD64. In in 2 hours of testing there has been no drop or other problem. I will spend some other time today to do a more critical listening
For me the volume on the remote is working as well as the iPhone app and Roon.
Cannot say for the subsonic filter and rubout as I have them off by default. But I can say that the screen is now dimming down when the Devialet is in standby mode, before the screen was remaining constantly lit up...

let's hope it keeps working like this without nasty surprises
A piece of good news to share:

The new firmware update works perfectly with Roon 1.5. I can now play TIDAL FLAC 48kHz 24bit 2ch, MQA 192kHz.
If they fix these last few things and release it as a non beta maybe even I’ll think about CI upgrad.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Reading through this thread, there are some very interesting comments regarding sound quality improvements, albeit from a very small number of posters.

The gist regarding Beta 14 seems to be that there is better bass, that is the splendid combination of more bass, but more accurate bass. The combination is important, because very often what is apparently 'more bass' is actually less accurate bass, the loss of accuracy can make the bass seem fuller. I have noticed this effect a few times, in particular with the old Expert and the MC3+USB, which seems to yield a touch less bass, but far more accurate and realistic bass.

I also note some have mentioned that the amp runs hotter with Beta 14. OK, pure speculation now, but this does hint at maybe some revisions to how the power supply is being utilised, bass needs power, so if the bass is getting more power, this may subjectively be heard as more bass, more accurate bass, just better bass.

To be clear, I am still running Beta 12 and have not tried 14 yet. (I am tinkering with other things, so need to keep the firmware version consistent for now) In fact, I do wonder if Beta 12 has a touch less bass when compared to some previous firmware versions, maybe, but marginal I would say.

Any thoughts from those who have tried Beta 14? Any other SQ observations other than the bass improvements?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I installed the latest Beta on my 220 Pro with CI board without any problems. SQ seems the same though probably expectation bias is leading me to believe that it is somehow more dynamic. Can't comment on Roon as I unsubscribed and now run Spotify Connect which works seamlessly. I do find that on the power management side that I have had to turn the volume up higher for the same output as before. Whereas in the past I would listen at 40% power, I am now at 60% for the same volume.

Sound remains wonderful and iPhone remote working as well.

Maybe there is a power management aspect to the improved bass and the amp running hotter as mentioned by Confused?
220 Pro CI - B&W 804 D3  - B&W DB3D - Siltech Explorer - Mac Mini (2018/SSD) - AudioQuest Pearl USB & Ethernet - Sennheiser HDV 820 & HD-800S - Roon (Lifetime) - Tidal HiFi
New York, NY
IMHO RC3 was sounding horribly with overemphasized, bloated bass and harsh highs. Beta14 reduces amount of bass, maybe to level below Beta12. But the bass of Beta14 seems more precise, revealing more colors (allowing different flavors of bass to appear in music with more presence). In addition middle range is more fluid, highs more clear. I think Beta14 might be better than Beta12, but I did not perform lengthy comparisons.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(13-May-2018, 13:22)Confused Wrote: Any thoughts from those who have tried Beta 14? Any other SQ observations other than the bass improvements?

My observations are that there is very little change in SQ with beta 14, bass quality or otherwise.

In fact after I updated I had the impression I preferred the SQ of DOS 2.2.0 beta 12.2.6.

The iOS remote is not working properly with beta 14 here. If I use the iOS remote to change source it immediately mutes the sound. Unmuting and turning the volume control up or down causes it to mute again.

Correction to above, the sound is not muted, but the iOS remote shows the mute symbol when the volume is changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus