Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Golds to KEF LS50 wireless II
Hi

For those who have had their phantoms for several years and looking for something new, I strongly recommend you to listen to second gen of the KEF LS50 wireless (II).

I've always been impressed by my phantoms gold clarity and bass but as years passed I realized I was missing something ... I would probably describe it as warmth and musicality.  I often found that at low to mid volume the phantoms were a bit dull and that they excel at higher volumes. Perhaps I'm getting old Wink but I think the KEF wireless LS50 do give you the best of both worlds (as good as low as high volume). Sure the phantom golds do get louder but not that much really. Very recently KEF launched a tiny Subwoofer that matches the finish of the LS50... just beautiful with huge power, the KC62 go check it out !.
When paired with the LS50 wireless, I get as much bass if not more than i did with my golds. 2 things that I like with KEF is the native Tidal Connect and the possibility to integrate other speakers (multiroom) with no delay... which I was never able to do with the Phantoms.

Again don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Phantoms are crap in comparison (they are incredible) but I just thought some may like to go for something new.

Cheers
Hello
What are the differences you notice regarding the sound?
And for HT, how the Kef behaves ?

Thanks
I haven't use the KEF in HT but i read they do quite well (no delay) especially with the sub.
As far as sound is concerned I would say the KEF soundstage is as good if not better, the sound is just warmer and not as chirurgically detailed.... yet still very detailed.
I'm actually debating between getting ls50w ii or phantom ii. And based on your review, the ls50w ii is actually doing pretty good against gold (besides bass and volume). So I'm not sure if you would say phantom ii could achieve the same?
(25-Feb-2021, 18:06)Olivier4444 Wrote: ... I would probably describe it as warmth and musicality.  

Exactly. I was wondering the same. 

I would add spatiality: I find my Golds too directional, not filling the space. 

The pandemic most probably kept you at home with plenty of time to enjoy the Kef LS50 Wireless II. What is your verdict on musicality and warmth? And what about spatiality?

Thanks a lot / Merci beaucoup Olivier.

Fred
I am not a Phantom owner (but I have heard them), nor am I a LS50W owner. But I do have some relevant input here.

I own a pair of LS50 (passive), and I've heard them with ADH amplification, via the Expert. I really respect them; they're superb for the money, they just have no bass. They're very capable with voices so excellent for HT. I use one as the centre speaker of my home theatre, where it is not embarrassed by the gear on my L + R channels, borrowed from my 2-channel system (see below). Many others failed to fit that role, but not the LS50.

I suspect that whatever amplification KEF buy in for the LS50W won't quite rival the ADH, but fundamentally the speaker is, IMO, excellent.
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III