Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Gold vs Silver vs White...
(15-Oct-2019, 00:46)McG Wrote: Just remember that you need the Dialog for the Phantoms to work in stereo. Also, some people have complained about bluetooth and wifi not always working flawlessly with the signal dropping. Could not get my two Silver's working properly until I went out and bought a PLC (Power Line Communication). About $100 here in Canada.

Once I hooked the Dialog up to the PLC, everything worked. I have never had a drop since.
The Dialog is likely not required when the new App comes out hopefully next month.  I have not had any problems with PLC (Phantoms, Dialog on same power board) nor wifi (very strong signal). Don't use Bluetooth.

(15-Oct-2019, 01:54)Mr_Bill Wrote: Some say a pair of Reactor 900 are not much different in audio quality as a pair of Golds.
Interested in finding out more.  Can you please provide some links?  If that is the case, then OP's budget dilemma is solved.
(20-Oct-2017, 17:59)f1eng Wrote: The guy who reviewed them is one of their reviewers who likes his equipment to add a lot of colour to the sound. Frequently he reviews highly coloured kit which he loves despite (or more probably, because) of its high level of distortion.

(15-Oct-2019, 02:46)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(15-Oct-2019, 00:46)McG Wrote: Just remember that you need the Dialog for the Phantoms to work in stereo. Also, some people have complained about bluetooth and wifi not always working flawlessly with the signal dropping. Could not get my two Silver's working properly until I went out and bought a PLC (Power Line Communication). About $100 here in Canada.

Once I hooked the Dialog up to the PLC, everything worked. I have never had a drop since.
The Dialog is likely not required when the new App comes out hopefully next month.  I have not had any problems with PLC (Phantoms, Dialog on same power board) nor wifi (very strong signal). Don't use Bluetooth.

(15-Oct-2019, 01:54)Mr_Bill Wrote: Some say a pair of Reactor 900 are not much different in audio quality as a pair of Golds.
Interested in finding out more.  Can you please provide some links?  If that is the case, then OP's budget dilemma is solved.

Do a search on Dev Chat. A couple of members have commented on Gold vs Reactor and they are members that own both.
(15-Oct-2019, 03:45)Mr_Bill Wrote: Do a search on Dev Chat. A couple of members have commented on Gold vs Reactor and they are members that own both.
To help OP more, this thread covers most of the discussions:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Stereo-R...vs+reactor

I have heard from another person that owns both Golds and Reactors, and he said Reactors were not as good. We have similar taste because previously we had same brand active speakers before switching to cheaper Golds.  I have my doubts about the Reactors matching the Golds, but I have not heard the Reactors.

I know that Darko likes the Reactor 900 and unlike many reviewers, spent many months with a stereo pair before writing the review. 
https://darko.audio/2019/08/a-short-film...actor-900/

@HublotTimer, hope this helps you come to a decision.
Repeating my advice, listening a pair of Reactors is worth the experience.

I know someone who replaced in a very large living room his main system that was previously composed of a D-Premier + Focal’s Utopia Diablos by a pair of Reactors 900.

And... surprise surprise, when doing measurements comparison, the best system was not the one most people would have guessed.

I’m not saying that a pair of gold would not have been superior, but the fact that he also have several pairs of gold, silvers and white and decided to use Reactors in his living room is quite interesting and telling.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(14-Oct-2019, 20:55)HublotTimer Wrote:
(14-Oct-2019, 20:48)booshtukka Wrote: Right now stock seems to be short on silvers and whites which would suggest something new is coming. I'd wait a while. Wink

Like new hardware ? Do you have some idea ?
That’s all the info I have!
You guys are awesome. So kind to you all for your quick answers and detailed one.

I’ve understood that 2 is better than 1 whatever the color the Phantom is !
I’ve understood that 2 Gold are state of the art composition.

I’m able to spend 2.6k€ on one then on a second one. But man that’s a ton of money !
I wasn’t prepared at all. But we have one life right.

If you can recall well, do you remember if there’s some nice discount (not talking about 30% off or more) when Xmas is coming ?

Is there any chance that there will be new Phantoms soon as someone told me there’s low stock on W and S ?

Aaaaaand one more question : are they FINALLY AirPlay 2 compatible ?!
2 x Phantom Reactor 600W - Stereo
(15-Oct-2019, 08:10)HublotTimer Wrote: But man that’s a ton of money !
Unfortunately, it is not cheap getting Phantoms.  If you have a limited budget, getting a pair of Reactor 900 is probably better than saving and waiting to get a pair of Gold. 

(15-Oct-2019, 08:10)HublotTimer Wrote: Is there any chance that there will be new Phantoms soon as someone told me there’s low stock on W and S ?
Aaaaaand one more question : are they FINALLY AirPlay 2 compatible ?!
We do not know. Devialet do not share their plans for future products and software.    Sad

Sometimes, they give us hints like the upcoming App which can be used instead of Spark. Supposed to allow Phantom Premium range to be used as a stereo pair without Dialog, better user interface.
Does anyone here think that buying now 1 Classic Phantom is a mistake when some new stuff could be on the way ?!

Because if you always wait for the newest you never buy but if they are about to sell some new ones I could wait.
I am so unable to wait even if I'm told to, but I can try LoL !

I've spent time reading what you sent me and people comparing 900s versus Phantoms and even if I am willing to accept they sound as good I just don't wont to buy a 1.000€ speaker without one dedicated mid driver.
Maybe I'm dumb (surely).
But that being said I prefer buying one Classic then a second one for stereo and paying 1.2k€ more.
I love the form-factor of the Phantom and I want a big speaker because it will be part of my flat decoration (I plan to buy a stand for each one).

And maybe when I'll be ready to buy a second one Dialog won't be necessary anymore !

So the question still is...

Do I buy one Classic or one Gold.
Knowing I'll be able in a much much shorter time to buy a second White than a second Gold because OK I have well understood that one is WOW and two is STFU AND TAKE MY MONEY RN.
I'm still wondering why people buy Silvers instead of Whites (do you REALLY need 3.000W (maximum) ??!).

Maybe I'll sell my Sony soundbar if I can use these two monsters as TV and PS4 speakers ASAP...
2 x Phantom Reactor 600W - Stereo
(15-Oct-2019, 06:47)Jean-Marie Wrote: I’m not saying that a pair of gold would not have been superior, but the fact that he also have several pairs of gold, silvers and white and decided to use Reactors in his living room is quite interesting and telling.
Thank you for your thoughts. I think the fair way to describe the Reactor 900 stereo pair is that they are excellent and suitable for most people, value for money. For people who are expecting the best and want to listen to all the details, then a pair of Phantom Golds is the way to go, but at double the cost. 

(15-Oct-2019, 10:47)HublotTimer Wrote: I've spent time reading what you sent me and people comparing 900s versus Phantoms and even if I am willing to accept they sound as good I just don't wont to buy a 1.000€ speaker without one dedicated mid driver.
Maybe I'm dumb (surely).
But that being said I prefer buying one Classic then a second one for stereo and paying 1.2k€ more.
I love the form-factor of the Phantom and I want a big speaker because it will be part of my flat decoration (I plan to buy a stand for each one).

And maybe when I'll be ready to buy a second one Dialog won't be necessary anymore !

So the question still is...

Do I buy one Classic or one Gold.
Suggest you listen to a pair of Reactor 900 and judge with your ears whether you can hear the missing mid driver?  

Yes, please put them on stands to get the best out of them.  And it does not have to be Devialet stands (am using Triangle).  The rumour is that the new App will come out in mid Nov, which removes need for Dialog for stereo pairing.

I have not listened to the Reactors but did compare the Silver and Gold.  I prefer the Golds which replaced a more expensive music system with many components and complicated setup.  I knew the type of sound I wanted, with lots of detail and a wide sound stage, which the Golds delivered. I was also able to fund the Golds by selling my old system.

If I was starting a new system now, I would have found it very difficult to justify a pair of Golds. I would not buy one at a time, because I would not be able to enjoy stereo music.  It is strange that I am suggesting the Reactor 900 when I have not listened to them but I am a value for money person.  

But if your heart is set on the Premium range, then go for it.  You posted earlier that "But we have one life right".  Might as well enjoy it to the maximum.
What about these refurbished silvers that are sold for $1690? Same factory two year warranty, but doesn’t have airplay and probably with ADH1.

If I’d buy two, two of these would be great. Get a dialog with airplay and I’m good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk