Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Gold vs Silver vs White...
[attachment=3683 Wrote:HublotTimer pid='87272' dateline='1571593876']I've been reading the Cabasse forum and other HiFi forums. The amount of hate against our Devialet systems are just WoW !

It makes me laugh they are all talking about mid lack or too-bassy-systems and things like that.
We can achieve exactly the same sound quality with 2 Gold instead of amplifiers + pre-amplifiers + 2 gigantic speakers weighting 12kg each and obliterating windows and things like that for a fraction of the price.

I do not understand why "purist" HiFi people have such hate in them against those amazing and incredibly sounding systems. And I'm even talking about FRENCH people who should be proud of what a French company can achieve !
How many sound products can be found tagged "Made in France" ?! Damn, I'm so sorry for this. #NotInMyName !!
 Many Hifi enthusiast have spent a lot of money and effort into building what they think is the perfect set up. How disappointing to find that two small eggs without any amplifier or expensive cables sound just as good as their very expensive system. 
I know I have been down that route too: tube amplifier, very expensive cables, enormous hi efficiency speaker with twin woofers and horn speakers....(see picture). Now when I compare this to my twin reactors side by side: to my hear, it's the same sound (what used to be called the tube sound: very natural, non fatiguing sound). I began with one phantom gold, then a second one, then after that my tube system has been collecting dust...and I bought two reactors for the bedroom that I can move to my terrace and swimming pool when I want to...But I can understand the Devialet bashing on Hifi forums (most of them never heard a pair of Phantom in the first place), because it is very hard to admit that you have spent all this time and money for no gain at all compared the simple elegant and cheaper route.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
I just saw that Classic went 200€ up in price ! They didn't loose time !

I'm considering waiting for some price drop on Silver as they get discontinued !
2 x Phantom Reactor 600W - Stereo
(05-Nov-2019, 16:24)HublotTimer Wrote: I just saw that Classic went 200€ up in price ! They didn't loose time !

I'm considering waiting for some price drop on Silver as they get discontinued !
Yep could be a good deal! Also confirmed from another source - a French HiFi retailer https://blog.cobrason.com/2019/10/une-mi...m-premier/
All French websites I'm used to did immediately increase the price for the Premier White ! They didn't lose time either…
(05-Nov-2019, 16:42)HublotTimer Wrote: All French websites I'm used to did immediately increase the price for the Premier White ! They didn't lose time either…
you can also notice that the silver on blackmarket have simply .... disappear Wink
I've done it a few seconds ago and yes, disappeared. At least now the price gap between Classic and Gold is no more 1000€…
(05-Nov-2019, 17:18)HublotTimer Wrote: I've done it a few seconds ago and yes, disappeared. At least now the price gap between Classic and Gold is no more 1000€…
Sounds a strategy ... 2 reactors and 2 premier. we can guess or eventually think about : were classic a silver electronically downgraded version ? Smile
As I’ve already said it ALL are based on same hardware except the Gold one with the titanium tweeter.
So yes, clearly, Silver & Classic are only software-different
(05-Nov-2019, 22:08)HublotTimer Wrote: As I’ve already said it ALL are based on same hardware except the Gold one with the titanium tweeter.
So yes, clearly, Silver & Classic are only software-different
The Silver’s base cones, covers, or whatever the correct description might be, is a different material to the Classic / Gold.  So that is at least one difference.

I find it easy to believe that the rest of the hardware is the same, but can I ask where you obtained this information from?  Based on past events, there have been cases where information provided by Devialet support and representatives has proved to be less than 100% accurate.

As an open question to the forum, from a technical perspective does anyone know the significance of the Silvers base cone / cover material?  (Other than it being prone to picking up the odd dent in some cases). Or maybe they are the same material but the Golds and Classic are coated white and the Silvers not?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
French FB fan page of Devialet. Someone works for them in the RD department and told us the only difference is the color...