Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HQPlayer
Anyone using this and done any comparisons (iTunes/Audirvana etc)?

http://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

I've read in a couple of places now that it has fantastic SQ - especially via its upsampling to DSD.

The interface looks horrible, and I don't see an obvious way of using a remote on iOS, both of which have held me back from trying. Plus I dont have any experience with DSD - native or upsampled - am I'm not running FW 8.0.0.

Still, I'm intrigued.  Anyone else tried and care to share their thoughts….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Hi all...

I have been experimenting with the HQPlayer for the last couple of days.

My setup is:

MacBookPro>Wireless>Apple Airport Extreme>Ethernet>Cubox i4Pro>USB>DAC.

Cubox is acting as NAA, Macbook Pro running iTunes and HQPlayer, iTunes managing library, HQPlayer upsampling to DSD. 

Sounding gorgeous. Much better than anything I tried.

This is how you integrate iTunes with HQPlayer.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-so...ndex8.html

The script creates two RamDisks. Puts HQPlayer into one and launches from there, then takes your selection of music from iTunes, converts it into WAV, copies it to the other RAMDISK, and plays via HQPlayer, based on your settings. You can even change settings of the HQPlayer for each file, automatically. Just read the documentation. And of course manage iTunes via Remote from i devices.

Very convenient, and incredible sound quality. I think I will buy the license.

And they say it will be integrated with Roon, which then will be a dream come true.

Cheers
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I spent only a few hours with HQ player, but a few factors meant that it just wasn't for me - mainly it doesn't support ALAC and the interface is (IMO) horrible.

I did however convert a small sample of my library to FLAC and experimented with lots of the settings. I honestly couldnt say that I experienced anything remarkable SQ-wise compared to other players, and in fact I couldnt tell much difference between any of the filters etc - so perhaps I didn't do it properly.

If it gets integrated into Roon I may well try again, but all-in-all it just seemed overly complicated to me to listen to music.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

kunter, are you still using HQPlayer into your Devialet?

If so could you share a few preferred filters/settings?
And what type of music you listen to.

I've started another round of experimenting now It's Roon integrated, but I'm still finding it hard to perceive much in the way of improved SQ with any settings I'm trying.

I know a lot is personal preference, but many users say the key is fun being the filters that provide data to your DAc in its 'sweet spot' - probably whatever leaves it the least processing to do - so I assume that bit is just hardware dependent so probably the same for all Devialets?

O
(02-Sep-2015, 07:31)Kunter Wrote: Hi all...

I have been experimenting with the HQPlayer for the last couple of days.

My setup is:

MacBookPro>Wireless>Apple Airport Extreme>Ethernet>Cubox i4Pro>USB>DAC.

Cubox is acting as NAA, Macbook Pro running iTunes and HQPlayer, iTunes managing library, HQPlayer upsampling to DSD. 

Sounding gorgeous. Much better than anything I tried.

This is how you integrate iTunes with HQPlayer.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-so...ndex8.html

The script creates two RamDisks. Puts HQPlayer into one and launches from there, then takes your selection of music from iTunes, converts it into WAV, copies it to the other RAMDISK, and plays via HQPlayer, based on your settings. You can even change settings of the HQPlayer for each file, automatically. Just read the documentation. And of course manage iTunes via Remote from i devices.

Very convenient, and incredible sound quality. I think I will buy the license.

And they say it will be integrated with Roon, which then will be a dream come true.

Cheers

(27-Dec-2015, 18:58)miro Wrote:
(26-Dec-2015, 11:53)Cylob Wrote:
(26-Dec-2015, 10:37)LEPPAL Wrote: Can anyone provide a link to 7.1.3? I can't seems to access it from Devialte's site. Any assistance is much appreciated.

For anyone else who needs,
here's a link to older firmwares Rufus posted in the 7.1.3 topic.

Link to Rufus post with old firmwares [#375]

Straight link to download area

Will the configuration files from 8.1.3 work with 7.1.3?

Basically, how can one generate configuration files for an old firmware version that is no longer supported by the configurator?

Yes, I have been using my old configuration files. I don't have SAM speakers though.
Still in love with 7.1.3 btw! Good luck!
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Is anyone else experiencing a faint click sound on the left channel whenever starting playback in HQPlayer when upsampling to DSD?
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
@pete86: I do and it's a bit annoying, but no clue what to do about it. No clicks when upconverting within the PCM domain.
Devialet 250PRO - Audio Physic Avantera - AIR-ETH - Roon
(01-Feb-2016, 17:53)invader Wrote: @pete86: I do and it's a bit annoying, but no clue what to do about it. No clicks when upconverting within the PCM domain.

Thanks, same here. Do you notice the click when using any other players when listening to DSD content? I notice it with JRiver upsampling to DSD as well, but do not have any actual DSD content to try. Perhaps it's a Devialet issue and may be worth reporting to them.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
(01-Feb-2016, 20:32)pete86 Wrote:
(01-Feb-2016, 17:53)invader Wrote: @pete86: I do and it's a bit annoying, but no clue what to do about it. No clicks when upconverting within the PCM domain.

Thanks, same here. Do you notice the click when using any other players when listening to DSD content? I notice it with JRiver upsampling to DSD as well, but do not have any actual DSD content to try. Perhaps it's a Devialet issue and may be worth reporting to them.

I hear it too. When they first started supporting DSD there was a click at the beginning of a track. They acknowledged the issue, and I think it was fixed. I'll have to try a straight DSD and see if the click is still there.

What are you guys using for the DSD settings in HQPlayer? I've just begun to play around with it and I'm still using the demo version.
Hello all just thought I would reawake this thread given the interesting discussions going on in the Upsampling in Roon 1.3...

Would members care to share their HQPlayer settings here?

Also details of how you are running HQPlayer: hardware, integration with Roon etc.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK