Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has the Roon support killed all opposition?
(18-Sep-2017, 10:29)Chris Marshall Wrote: Probably depends on the quality of the pi digital hat, AIR is very high quality, even those people who are using other solutions (Mutec, etc.) have had to go much further than a pi to better it.  The allo digi one seems to be the best pi solution and I've read that it is pretty close to AIR.

AIR is free though as long as you can get an Ethernet cable there, the only downside is zone grouping I believe which doesn't work with AIR.

Exactly why I'm using an Allo digiOne. To me it's indistinguishable from Roon AIR, but then I don't use exotic cables and could barely tell any difference between any USB cables I tried previously so what do I know...

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(18-Sep-2017, 22:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(18-Sep-2017, 10:29)Chris Marshall Wrote: Probably depends on the quality of the pi digital hat, AIR is very high quality, even those people who are using other solutions (Mutec, etc.) have had to go much further than a pi to better it.  The allo digi one seems to be the best pi solution and I've read that it is pretty close to AIR.

AIR is free though as long as you can get an Ethernet cable there, the only downside is zone grouping I believe which doesn't work with AIR.

Exactly why I'm using an Allo digiOne. To me it's indistinguishable from Roon AIR, but then I don't use exotic cables and could barely tell any difference between any USB cables I tried previously so what do I know...

In a different application, I use a HiFi Berry Digi+ Pro, which comes with two clock oscillators and has very low jitter on S/PDIF out, which is good enough for me.
(18-Sep-2017, 22:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

In your sig, it looks like you're going SPDIF out of the digiOne to AES in on the Devialet.

Does require some conversion more than just a cable with coax on one end and XLR on the other?
(21-Oct-2017, 23:25)watchnerd Wrote: In your sig, it looks like you're going SPDIF out of the digiOne to AES in on the Devialet.

Does require some conversion more than just a cable with coax on one end and XLR on the other?

I'm not  Hifi_swlon, but the Neutrik in his sig is this one: http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/ae...aditbnc-mx
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(29-Oct-2017, 09:55)ogs Wrote:
(21-Oct-2017, 23:25)watchnerd Wrote: In your sig, it looks like you're going SPDIF out of the digiOne to AES in on the Devialet.

I'm not  Hifi_swlon, but the Neutrik in his sig is this one: http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/ae...aditbnc-mx

Yeah, see above (thanks ogs).

Fwiw I have both connections wired simultaneously:
rca>rca via a non-exotic cable made from tm3 connections. http://tm3connections.com/hi-fi-audio-ca...elden-1694
It’s worth noting that I went for the 75ohm cable/connectors but later Allo revealed they didn’t set their RCA output at 75ohm as they didn’t believe a true 75ohm connector existed - go figure.

Coax>coax (stock cable) into the Neutrik converter into Devialet AES. Although a specific coax>AES cable would most likely just work.

For the life of me I can’t tell the two apart. I leave it on the AES probably just because I bought the adaptor and it’s reported to be the best input but it’s certainly beyond any measure I can hear. I only leave them both wired up because the rca cable was thick and inflexible and a pain to get in and out so I just leave it there if I ever need it in the future or ever have the desire to compare them again which seems wholly unlikely.

I think I’ve fully gone through the ‘experimental, worrying about it all’ phase and have thankfully come out the other side unscathed other than having wasted a lot of time to come to the conclusion that inputs and digital cables don’t really mean anything to me in the grand scheme of things, in fact i probably lean back towards it making little or no difference, certainly to me.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-Oct-2017, 12:41)Hifi_swlon Wrote: For the life of me I can’t tell the two apart.

Over short distances, there really shouldn't be a difference if digital is not broken and implemented properly.

Over long distances the superior common mode rejection of the balanced cable might have better noise.
Yes but it's not a balanced cable in this case....

(29-Oct-2017, 16:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Yes but it's not a balanced cable in this case....

Shouldn't matter as long as the distance is short and the environment isn't especially noisy.
If the Neutrik is close to the DigiOne a long AES/EBU cable could be used. The Neutrik would have no problem driving a fairly long 110 Ohm cable.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(29-Oct-2017, 19:38)ogs Wrote: If the Neutrik is close to the DigiOne a long AES/EBU cable could be used. The Neutrik would have no problem driving a fairly long 110 Ohm cable.

But why bother? If the distance is short, SPDIF is fine.