Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Can't find ROON Nucleus on Network
Dera All,

I recently tried the trick of linking the Roon Nucleus to the Dev by assigning both a static IP (5.1.1.1 and 5.1.1.2) and using a USB to ethernet adaptor. It worked really well and convinced there was modest hike in SQ I converted back to DHCP this morning. Yes, I was convinced and so moved back to the static IP.

Now I can't find the Nucleus on network  Angry 

Spent 4 hours trying to remedy but to no avail.

The best  I get is a brief appearance of the Nucleus icon with the correct 5.1.1.1 address but Roon can't connect and it disappears.

Since I can't connect, I can't get into Roon's web interface tool and cannot change back to DHCP or edit static IP  Angry

What a dumb system - needs a hard reset.

Switching off and on again, rebooting router, changing ethernet cables all do nothing.

Think I'm screwed.

Can anyone help?

Kevin
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
Did you try what is documented here: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/a...leshooting

You could try to enter the IP address of your Nucleus using that procedure:
In a multi-LAN or subnet setup, auto-discovery will not work. You can locate the Nucleus's IP from your DHCP server (your router most likely) and enter that IP into the remote via the "`Why Can't I see my remote Libraries?`" link.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
You say that you used static IP addresses 5.1.1.1 and5.1.1.2 for the Nucleus and Devialet and that you are using a USB to ethernet adapter.

There's several things that can be causing your problem.

First you didn't give the Nucleus an address, you gave a port on the Nucleus an address. Addresses are linked to ports on devices. In theory that's the same as giving the Nucleus an address but if you have a USB to ethernet adapter connected to your Nucleus, then you have 2 ethernet ports. One is the normal ethernet port, the other is the USB port which the adapter is connected to, and each of those ports needs a separate address. The address you assign to one port only works for that specific port. Which port did you assign the fixed address to and what did you do about the address of the other port?

I'm going to suggest something for you to try. Hopefully it will work and it is fairly simple.

- Disconnect any ethernet cable you have connected to the normal ethernet port.

- Disconnect the USB to ethernet adapter from the USB port you have it connected to and connect it to the other USB port on the Nucleus, and connect an ethernet cable from the adapter to your router.

Now see if the router can locate your Nucleus. I'm hoping it will see the second USB port as a different network point and the default address for a network port on the Nucleus is to use DHCP addressing in which case the router will now be able to find the Nucleus and assign it an address. I've used a USB to ethernet adapter for a direct connection to my Devialet and I've made mistakes and got myself into trouble but I don't think I've had quite the same problem as you are describing though I went close to that on one occasion and it took me a while to figure out how to fix it.

If you can now find the Nucleus on your network when connected via the second USB port, then we can start to fix things.

You need 2 ethernet connections to the Nucleus to make the direct connection work. One connection is to your router because Roon needs an internet connection. The second connection is to the Devialet. What you want to do is to have DHCP addressing for the router connection and a static address for the connection to the Devialet so what you do now is to:

- open the web interface for your Nucleus and you should see 2 network connection options at the bottom of the screen.

- the first option is for the physical ethernet port. Set it to DHCP addressing but do not connect a cable to it at this point.

- assign your manual address to the USB port the ethernet adapter is connected to.

When you press the "Save" button the addresses will be changed for the Nucleus ports and, since you are connected to your router currently via the USB port which has been given a static address, the router will no longer see your Nucleus. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the adapter and connect it to the actual ethernet port and you should again be able to find the Nucleus on your network. If you disconnect the ethernet cable from the adapter before you press save, the Nucleus will disappear from your network before you can actually save the new addresses and you will have exactly the same problem as before.

Now you need to connect an ethernet cable between the USB adapter and your Devialet and make sure that the Devialet has a static address.

Note that the Devialet is not connected to your network with this setup. You're essentially running a separate private network between the USB port on the Nucleus and the Devialet. The Nucleus can see the Devialet to send music to it, the Devialet can respond to the Nucleus to make the connection work but the Devialet and that USB network port on the Nucleus are not on your normal network, only the actual ethernet port on the Nucleus is connected to your network.

I hope the above fixes your problem. If it doesn't then please describe what you did when you originally assigned a fixed address on the Nucleus. Did you change the address for one port or for two ports? Was there anything else you changed at the time? Give as much info as you can, too much info is better than too little.

For what it's worth, I thought that the direct connection to the ethernet did deliver a small but nice improvement in sound quality but I found the process tricky to deal with, especially when I got something wrong and ended up having to problem solve like you're doing now. In the end I went back to having a single network connection for my Nucleus Plus and a normal network connection for my Devialet and using DHCP addressing for both. That's the default settings for both the Nucleus and the Devialet, it's simple, and it works. One way or another I felt the direct connection to the Devialet was more trouble than it was worth for me.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(14-Nov-2020, 09:18)David A Wrote: You say that you used static IP addresses 5.1.1.1 and5.1.1.2 for the Nucleus and Devialet and that you are using a USB to ethernet adapter.

There's several things that can be causing your problem.

First you didn't give the Nucleus an address, you gave a port on the Nucleus an address. Addresses are linked to ports on devices. In theory that's the same as giving the Nucleus an address but if you have a USB to ethernet adapter connected to your Nucleus, then you have 2 ethernet ports. One is the normal ethernet port, the other is the USB port which the adapter is connected to, and each of those ports needs a separate address. The address you assign to one port only works for that specific port. Which port did you assign the fixed address to and what did you do about the address of the other port?

I'm going to suggest something for you to try. Hopefully it will work and it is fairly simple.

- Disconnect any ethernet cable you have connected to the normal ethernet port.

- Disconnect the USB to ethernet adapter from the USB port you have it connected to and connect it to the other USB port on the Nucleus, and connect an ethernet cable from the adapter to your router.

Now see if the router can locate your Nucleus. I'm hoping it will see the second USB port as a different network point and the default address for a network port on the Nucleus is to use DHCP addressing in which case the router will now be able to find the Nucleus and assign it an address. I've used a USB to ethernet adapter for a direct connection to my Devialet and I've made mistakes and got myself into trouble but I don't think I've had quite the same problem as you are describing though I went close to that on one occasion and it took me a while to figure out how to fix it.

If you can now find the Nucleus on your network when connected via the second USB port, then we can start to fix things.

You need 2 ethernet connections to the Nucleus to make the direct connection work. One connection is to your router because Roon needs an internet connection. The second connection is to the Devialet. What you want to do is to have DHCP addressing for the router connection and a static address for the connection to the Devialet so what you do now is to:

- open the web interface for your Nucleus and you should see 2 network connection options at the bottom of the screen.

- the first option is for the physical ethernet port. Set it to DHCP addressing but do not connect a cable to it at this point.

- assign your manual address to the USB port the ethernet adapter is connected to.

When you press the "Save" button the addresses will be changed for the Nucleus ports and, since you are connected to your router currently via the USB port which has been given a static address, the router will no longer see your Nucleus. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the adapter and connect it to the actual ethernet port and you should again be able to find the Nucleus on your network. If you disconnect the ethernet cable from the adapter before you press save, the Nucleus will disappear from your network before you can actually save the new addresses and you will have exactly the same problem as before.

Now you need to connect an ethernet cable between the USB adapter and your Devialet and make sure that the Devialet has a static address.

Note that the Devialet is not connected to your network with this setup. You're essentially running a separate private network between the USB port on the Nucleus and the Devialet. The Nucleus can see the Devialet to send music to it, the Devialet can respond to the Nucleus to make the connection work but the Devialet and that USB network port on the Nucleus are not on your normal network, only the actual ethernet port on the Nucleus is connected to your network.

I hope the above fixes your problem. If it doesn't then please describe what you did when you originally assigned a fixed address on the Nucleus. Did you change the address for one port or for two ports? Was there anything else you changed at the time? Give as much info as you can, too much info is better than too little.

For what it's worth, I thought that the direct connection to the ethernet did deliver a small but nice improvement in sound quality but I found the process tricky to deal with, especially when I got something wrong and ended up having to problem solve like you're doing now. In the end I went back to having a single network connection for my Nucleus Plus and a normal network connection for my Devialet and using DHCP addressing for both. That's the default settings for both the Nucleus and the Devialet, it's simple, and it works. One way or another I felt the direct connection to the Devialet was more trouble than it was worth for me.

Hi David,

This is incredibly helpful and considerate - thank you for your time.

I have tried your quick fix but no joy I'm afraid - both USB slots.

Attached is the protocol I followed - from Roon community forum.

Worked perfectly first time - 2 weeks listening.

Trouble began when I went back to DHCP (no issues) but on going back to Fixed IP using attached protocol all went dark.

Just been into the Router management tool and a non-active Nucleus is there with the DHCP assigned address. 

There is an option to change the IP address - would changing it to 5.1.1.1 give me access to my Nucleus? I could then access the Roon web management tool and sort things out. 

Regards

Kevin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
Have you tried a direct connection from a laptop to the Nucleus? If you know that the Roon server has a static address of 5.1.1.1 (and I assume the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0) then manually configure your laptop's ethernet adapter with an IP address in the same range as the Nucleus and with the same subnet mask, let's say IP 5.1.1.10 with Mask 255.255.255.0 and connect an ethernet cable directly between the laptop and the Nucleus. You should then be able to access the web interface from the laptop using the Nucleus IP address in your browser.
Laura you are a star!

Did what you said and it worked perfectly.

Took two minutes to hook up and reconfig my ethernet port on the Mac and there it was, the Nucleus icon in Roon app. Went into Roon web management tool, changed back to DHCP and voila music!

I've spent a day swearing trying to fix this and your suggestion worked in two minutes. Roon should put this as a fix in their manual as I'm sure I'm not the only one with weak IT skills that has found themselves in this pickle.

Once again many thanks to you, David and Jean-Marie for your prompt advice.

Regards

Kevin
North Somerset, UK     
Hi Kevin, Easy when you know how eh? I'm glad I could put my networking skills to good use and my suggestion worked for you. Hopefully you can now swap shouting and swearing for sweet calming music (or some heavy metal to make the rage subside which is usually my preferred option Big Grin )
@KIBM ,

Glad you've got things working again.

@Laura

And thank you for the fix. That was a technique I didn't know, or need, when I ran into my problem a year or two ago when I tried a direct connection to the Devialet from a Nucleus Plus.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(14-Nov-2020, 20:16)Laura Wrote: Hi Kevin, Easy when you know how eh? I'm glad I could put my networking skills to good use and my suggestion worked for you. Hopefully you can now swap shouting and swearing for sweet calming music (or some heavy metal to make the rage subside which is usually my preferred option Big Grin )

Not helped when after an hour I found that my Router web management tool was unstable on Safari, only to find out that upon a change to Chrome I couldn’t do what I wanted anyway🤣 Currently listening to Rage Against the Machine. 

Thanks again.
K
North Somerset, UK     
(14-Nov-2020, 20:32)David A Wrote: @KIBM ,

Glad you've got things working again.

@Laura

And thank you for the fix. That was a technique I didn't know, or need, when I ran into my problem a year or two ago when I tried a direct connection to the Devialet from a Nucleus Plus.

Yes, a very useful backdoor. I’m not going to give up on your direct connection - still think it sounds slightly more detailed and smoother and is more elegant than having a gigabit switch in the path.

Again, many thanks for your time and help.

I’ve had enough excitement for one day!
North Somerset, UK