Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with DOS 2 Upgrade
So very frustrating. I opened a ticket with Devialet and they said the new firmware has a known issue with all audio going silent (which can be solved with a hard reset but then will reoccur later). Their suggestion was just to not upgrade the other one. 

But now the one that won’t upgrade can’t connect back to Spark either. It goes through the steps, but then afterwards, it’s not recognized as a device within Spark.

Could it be a hardware issue? I can’t get it to connect to anything at all. Just a dead weight at the moment.

[edited to remove large photo files. Sorry!]
(12-Feb-2021, 04:59)echooo23 Wrote: So very frustrating. I opened a ticket with Devialet and they said the new firmware has a known issue with all audio going silent (which can be solved with a hard reset but then will reoccur later). Their suggestion was just to not upgrade the other one. 

But now the one that won’t upgrade can’t connect back to Spark either. It goes through the steps, but then afterwards, it’s not recognized as a device within Spark.

Could it be a hardware issue? I can’t get it to connect to anything at all. Just a dead weight at the moment.

Hi there. I am a little lost with your (huge) screenshots. You say you already upgraded one Phantom and it shows up in the new Devialet app, is that correct? Then you said the other one which you can not upgrade does not show in Spark, yet I can clearly see one Phantom in your screenshots!

This being said: the best way to upgrade Phantoms to DOS 2 is from a working DOS 1 setup. So your first step should be to set it up in DOS1 (with Spark).

For this, I strongly recommend
(a) turning off all other Devialet equipment, including Dialog if you have one
(b) connecting your Phantom to the router via an Ethernet cable
© performing factory reset on your Phantom. I don't remember what that was in DOS1... three clicks on the back button? unplugging/replugging ? Anyway you'll know you did things right when the Phantom goes into the DOS1 setup mode (kind of a continuous sound loop)
(d) launch Spark, set it up so that you can see it in Spark
(e) try to play some music

Now that you have DOS1 working via Ethernet, quit Spark and launch the new Devialet app. The upgrade should work now. Of course, do not lock your phone screen (disable the sleep!) or even exit the app while performing the upgrade - phone sleep modes may mess with file transmission from the phone to the speaker.

If it fails, (a) take a screenshot of the failure screen (b) shake the phone 3 times -> you'll be able to send an email to Devialet, containing detailed technical logs © contact the support with the screenshot, say you have sent the report from the app and insist that you are trying to upgrade from DOS 1 to DOS 2 ! (and not from DOS 2 to DOS 2, their initial response does not make sense).

Hope this helps.
(12-Feb-2021, 20:11)quartz78 Wrote:
(12-Feb-2021, 04:59)echooo23 Wrote: So very frustrating. I opened a ticket with Devialet and they said the new firmware has a known issue with all audio going silent (which can be solved with a hard reset but then will reoccur later). Their suggestion was just to not upgrade the other one. 

Hi there. I am a little lost with your (huge) screenshots. You say you already upgraded one Phantom and it shows up in the new Devialet app, is that correct? Then you said the other one which you can not upgrade does not show in Spark, yet I can clearly see one Phantom in your screenshots!

This being said: the best way to upgrade Phantoms to DOS 2 is from a working DOS 1 setup. So your first step should be to set it up in DOS1 (with Spark).

For this, I strongly recommend
(a) turning off all other Devialet equipment, including Dialog if you have one
(b) connecting your Phantom to the router via an Ethernet cable
© performing factory reset on your Phantom. I don't remember what that was in DOS1... three clicks on the back button? unplugging/replugging ? Anyway you'll know you did things right when the Phantom goes into the DOS1 setup mode (kind of a continuous sound loop)
(d) launch Spark, set it up so that you can see it in Spark
(e) try to play some music

Now that you have DOS1 working via Ethernet, quit Spark and launch the new Devialet app. The upgrade should work now. Of course, do not lock your phone screen (disable the sleep!) or even exit the app while performing the upgrade - phone sleep modes may mess with file transmission from the phone to the speaker.

If it fails, (a) take a screenshot of the failure screen (b) shake the phone 3 times -> you'll be able to send an email to Devialet, containing detailed technical logs © contact the support with the screenshot, say you have sent the report from the app and insist that you are trying to upgrade from DOS 1 to DOS 2 ! (and not from DOS 2 to DOS 2, their initial response does not make sense).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your detailed reply! So here is what happened. I have 2 Phantom Golds that were both on DOS1 connected via Dialogue and used with Spark. When I started upgrading to DOS2, I downloaded the Devialet app, and then successfully upgraded one of the Golds to DOS2. When it came to upgrading the other Gold, it errored out at the migration stage. I could not get the second Gold to upgrade.

Frustrated, I decided to see if the second Gold was still connected to Spark. I can’t remember whether it was or not. Maybe I wanted to reset it because it was no longer working as a stereo pair (with the first Gold having been upgraded). So then the second Gold was no longer connected to anything. I tried to pair the second Gold with Spark via Ethernet. When I run Spark, it goes through all of the steps to complete the process. Then within 2 seconds of the process completing, the Phantom goes missing and then the Spark app resets (because it is no longer connected to any speaker). 

I hope that makes sense? So at this point the first Gold is upgraded to DOS2 and usable via Devialet app. The second Gold is totally useless because it can’t upgrade to DOS2 and it won’t connect to the Spark app (and stay connected). 

I feel like it is a similar issue. Meaning, when I try to connect to Spark, the setup works initially but then as soon as the set up is complete the Phantom goes missing. And when I try to upgrade via Devialet, it is in the process of migrating but then errors out as if the Phantom went missing and can no longer get receive data. In both cases the connection drops. I don’t know if there is some hardware issue or what (but it was working fine before I tried to upgrade the whole setup to DOS2 so I doubt it).

I’ve been emailing with Devialet customer service and they have been nice but unhelpful. Has anyone run into this problem or know what to do? I’m beyond frustrated right now. Also has anyone tried to talk to customer service on the phone, and if so, was it helpful? Because with the time difference and the nature of short emails, it’s hard to get any meaningful help except haltingly every few days.

[Edited to include some pictures of the errors in both apps. First two photos are when I tried to upgrade to DOS2 but it stopped at the migration stage. In the first and second photo, you can see that it is migrating and then at some point the Phantom disconnects and then the screen says to ensure the Phantom is turned on and within range. 

Third through fifth photos and when I tried to re-set up to Spark but after completion the Phantom goes missing and Spark resets. The third photo is the first screen after completing set up. Then next photo is when the Phantom begins to go missing, and then in the final photo the orange bar shows the Phantom is lost. 

For both, I have it connected to Ethernet. And have unplugged all other Devialet devices (one other Gold and Dialogue).

The issue seems similar to me: Phantom loses connectivity or resets, so that the app no longer recognizes the device.]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@echooo23
Can you access the lost speaker via the web interface? Type its ip address in a browser and you might be able to access it. In the web interface you can install a firmware update if you have an update file. A member here snatched the 2.9.0 update file while installing, and I have a copy. You can have it and install it on your own risk. I haven't tried, it might brick your speaker.

Another option is to force a reinstallation of the firmware. The are how tos on the forum for both DOS1 and DOS2. I'll see if I can find them and post links.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
@echooo23
Have you tried this?
Unplug Phantom for 30 seconds
Replug Phantom and wait for 30 seconds
Make five quick presses on the back power button of your Phantom
The Phantom will make a noise (like a "clap").
Wait again for 30 seconds, Phantom's characteristic setup sound should start.
@echooo23

Here's the rollback/force firmware procedure for DOS2
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Classic-...2#pid99562
My Phantom Voyage
(20-Feb-2021, 20:36)ragwo Wrote: @echooo23
Can you access the lost speaker via the web interface? Type its ip address in a browser and you might be able to access it. In the web interface you can install a firmware update if you have an update file. A member here snatched the 2.9.0 update file while installing, and I have a copy. You can have it and install it on your own risk. I haven't tried, it might brick your speaker.

Another option is to force a reinstallation of the firmware. The are how tos on the forum for both DOS1 and DOS2. I'll see if I can find them and post links.

Thanks for the suggestion, ragwo.  And this is kind of an interesting development.  When I typed the IP address of the second Gold (the one that is dead weight right now) into a browser, it was not recognized and I didn't get the web configuration page.  But when I typed the IP address of the first Gold (that successfully upgraded to DOS2), I did get the web configuration page and all is fine.  (Second Gold is connected via Ethernet so it's not a wifi issue.)

So there appears to be some issue related to the second Gold's ability to grab an IP address?  I'm not great with computers/networking, so I don't know what this finding means.
(20-Feb-2021, 21:12)eladeb Wrote: @echooo23
Have you tried this?
Unplug Phantom for 30 seconds
Replug Phantom and wait for 30 seconds
Make five quick presses on the back power button of your Phantom
The Phantom will make a noise (like a "clap").
Wait again for 30 seconds, Phantom's characteristic setup sound should start.

Yep, I've tried that!  It didn't change anything.  Still erroring out or losing connectivity.
(20-Feb-2021, 22:11)echooo23 Wrote:
(20-Feb-2021, 20:36)ragwo Wrote: @echooo23

Thanks for the suggestion, ragwo.  And this is kind of an interesting development.  When I typed the IP address of the second Gold (the one that is dead weight right now) into a browser, it was not recognized and I didn't get the web configuration page.  But when I typed the IP address of the first Gold (that successfully upgraded to DOS2), I did get the web configuration page and all is fine.  (Second Gold is connected via Ethernet so it's not a wifi issue.)

So there appears to be some issue related to the second Gold's ability to grab an IP address?  I'm not great with computers/networking, so I don't know what this finding means.

It probably means that it's still on DOS1. The web interface is only available in DOS2. Try two force update the speaker with the DOS2 method.
My Phantom Voyage
I have now also tried to just connect the second Gold via Bluetooth.  First I unplugged the Phantom, reset by pressing the back button 3 times, and then waited for the "setup continuous loop" sound.  In my iPhone, I went to Bluetooth settings, connected to the Phantom, and then the Phantom breathed and I heard the "setup complete" chime.  But if I wait another minute, the Phantom goes back to the "setup continuous loop" sound.

So I think it's consistent across multiple methods that the Phantom keeps resetting itself, like a continuous reboot issue.

Has anyone come across this before?