Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Phantom I 105db that different from current models and upgrades?
My question is, how different is the new phantom models (103db, 108db ) different from the old phantom silver 105db 3000w in terms sound quality and power? ( in the most naive sense)

I have a stereo pair of silver phantom I 105db I believe was introduced in 2015 though I purchased mine in 2019. This is my first and only Devialet speakers, and I am not as blown away as I expected. I realized Devialet stopped selling these in 2018.
From what I read, I hear phantom I models have a good reputation. But these don’t quite give me that impression.
I have a pair of sonos five speakers also in stereo mode and they compare very well to the phantoms if not better even.
I am considering upgrading to the latest phantom gold, but I want to know if there is really a significant difference between my old silver and the new gold in terms of performance. Is it worth it?
Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There should be no comparison to the Sonos 5 which either means the placement is wrong, you have night mode on or there is a fault.
(11-Oct-2021, 14:23)Rodrat2 Wrote: There should be no comparison to the Sonos 5 which either means the placement is wrong, you have night mode on or there is a fault.

Thanks for your response. I thought so too. I haven’t checked the night mode function , but I have changed the placement multiple times. Adjusted and readjusted and the sound is still lacking. Also I have always kept the volume under 40% and I don’t know if that is the reason.
I will check for night mode and see if it changes something.

@Kyei09
What are you missing with the Phantoms? My experience is that the Sonos Play 5 has a really boomy mid bass that might make a warm and presumably full bodied sound while playing at low volumes. The Phantom Silver has a more linear frequency response and might sound a bit thinner even if the frequency response is more correct. If you turn up the volume the Play 5 is all over the place, and the Phantom still is linear.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(11-Oct-2021, 22:03)ragwo Wrote: @Kyei09
What are you missing with the Phantoms? My experience is that the Sonos Play 5 has a really boomy mid bass that might make a warm and presumably full bodied sound while playing at low volumes. The Phantom Silver has a more linear frequency response and might sound a bit thinner even if the frequency response is more correct. If you turn up the volume the Play 5 is all over the place, and the Phantom still is linear.

@ragwo
I think I was probably getting deceived by the boomy feel from the sonos five.  At low volumes though,  it does make it seem like it is more "powerful" and probably sound better (which is somewhat subjective.) than the devialet
The Sonos will be voiced differently and it may well have an ‘enhanced’ base which it more apparent at lower volumes, a bit like the ‘loud’ button on an amplifier. I am assuming you have your Phantoms on dedicated speaker stands? Doesn’t have to be the Tree but something that is roughly the same height and also roughly have the same surface area as the Tree.
(11-Oct-2021, 18:46)Kyei09 Wrote:
(11-Oct-2021, 14:23)Rodrat2 Wrote: There should be no comparison to the Sonos 5 which either means the placement is wrong, you have night mode on or there is a fault.

Thanks for your response. I thought so too. I haven’t checked the night mode function , but I have changed the placement multiple times. Adjusted and readjusted and the sound is still lacking.  Also I have always kept the volume under 40%  and I don’t know if that is the reason.
I will check for night mode and see if it changes something.

if like me you preferer a fuller sound the phantom speakers really don't fulfil that at lower volumes under 60%. (my opinion)
i use Roon DSP to lift the lows and highs at low volumes and the turn it off above 50% volume and now they sound amazing. i still believe a loud option as well as the night time option would be a great improvement.