Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop to mini desktop PC
Hi folks. Ive been looking at changing my laptop to a mini PC as the only thing i use the laptop for at the moment is listening to JRiver. 
My question is if I bought a barebones mini PC which just needs an hdd and RAM , can i just use the hdd out of my laptop? Or is it not as straight forward as that?  
Go easy on me, I'm not that techy.  Rolleyes
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
It should be that easy, providing the physical drive dimensions, and the interface are supported in the new case and motherboard.  Don't expect the OS to 'just work' when you move the HDD like this, expect some form of trouble.

I would price carefully the cost of a prebuilt new machine with the specs you want, vs what you save going the DIY route.  If the laptop has a lovely fast modern drive in it then it's probably still worth keeping as a laptop, if it doesn't you probably don't want the old drive in the new machine, even if it works.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution

Probably makes more sense then as i can sell the laptop which is only 1 year old. There's actually nothing wrong with the laptop it's just I fancied a change to something that fitted in with the rest of my stuff.
My Phantom is white as is the Synology NAS so i was thinking of something along those lines.

Maybe an Acer Revo One RL85 in white. As above
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Well, I've went ahead and bought a Revo One i3 4005 with the smaller 500Gb hdd as my music is all on my NAS anyway. Ebuyer have them back in stock for £199.98. It's pretty similar to my laptop spec and it will only be used ro run JRiver and nothing else. Can't wait for it to arrive now. My Hifi is turning slowly white. :-)
Well it finally arrived today. Came with Windows 8.1. Might Change to Windows 10 as that's what my laptop had. Just looks so much better as everything matches. It even came with a white power pack and white cable. And because it's a different PC JRiver has gave me another 30 days free trial.
    Silvertouran pid='43878' dateline='1467143852']Well it finally arrived today. Came with Windows 8.1. Might Change to Windows 10 as that's what my laptop had. Just looks so much better as everything matches. It even came with a white power pack and white cable. And because it's a different PC JRiver has gave me another 30 days free trial.[/quote]

Here's a pic of wee Revo
[attachment=1256 Wrote:Silvertouran pid='44482' dateline='1467834062']Silvertouran pid='43878' dateline='1467143852']Well it finally arrived today. Came with Windows 8.1. Might Change to Windows 10 as that's what my laptop had. Just looks so much better as everything matches. It even came with a white power pack and white cable. And because it's a different PC JRiver has gave me another 30 days free trial.

Here's a pic of wee Revo
[/quote]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)