Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maggies and Expert Pro amps
Greetings everyone. I'm new out here and new to Devialet. My question isn't subtle or new: any thoughts on using the 220 with Maggies? I'm especially interested if anyone has the 1.7is. Maggies tend to like a lot of power. I'm guessing that the 440 would be a better bet, though that may be out of my reach. I know there was a thread on this seven years ago but I can't find much since. (Magnepans aren't listed with the SAM speakers list, so that may tell me something.)

Also, I should be embarrassed to ask this, but I'm very new to the Devialet technology. The 220 Pro has a preamp, DAC, and a Roon-ready streamer? I could simply plug my Roon Core (computer) into the unit and ... be all set???

Thanks for being patient with these newbie questions!
Hi @HalleysComet

Magnepan speakers are a relatively easy load for the amplifier (impedance is flat-ish with gentle variations), but they are known to be power hungry. With a 4 ohm load the 220 should put out around (more than) 250 watts per channel so will probably be sufficient. Whether the 220 and the 1.7i is a good combination is difficult for me to say as I've never heard it so hopefully someone who knows will chime in.
As for your second question; yes, simply connect the 220 ethernet (preferably) or wifi (prone to dropouts depending on the quality of your wifi) to the same network as the Roon Core and it will work via RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport). USB is of course an option, but RAAT via ethernet is a primary choice.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
As far as I know SAM does not work with planar speaker at all.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(17-Oct-2022, 21:35)frejo Wrote: As far as I know SAM does not work with planar speaker at all.

You are most likely correct about this, but there are SAM profiles for Jamo 907 and 909. These are open baffle with conventional drivers so is different from planars...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB