Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Master/Slave Link Summary
Hello,

I have tried a few SPDIF to SPDIF cables. -Siltech g7, audioquest diamond, and kimber.

The siltech was better than the others as a SPDIF to SPDIF chain link.

Then I purchased a BIS VIVAT (pure silver) SPDIF to AES 600$cad. It is a spectacular improvement.

What I find interesting is that devialet France send me a free SPDIF to SPDIF audioquest carbon when I upgraded to the 1000pro. They did the same for my 440pro.

All chain links should automatically be SPDIF to AES. The sound is so much better.

Sam
[size=x-small]D1000pro, Sonus Faber Amati anniversary, siltech ls88 cables, direct tv, Apple TV, Xbox, Sony projector.

Second system.. d440pro, Sonus Faber Cremona speakers, Mitchell gyro se turntable with cadenza blue, direct tv, Apple TV , sunfire subwoofer, Sony tv.

Third system... d-premier, Opera sp2 speakers , direct tv, Apple TV , Xbox, Sony tv.
(26-Mar-2017, 17:10)samsca Wrote: All chain links should automatically be SPDIF to AES.  The sound is so much better.

Indeed. I've been using an AQ Diamond RCA-RCA with RCA-XLR adapter on my 1000 Pro. It sounds so much better even with the adapter converting to XLR.
I forgot how much better RCA-XLR sounded until I tried removing the adapter and trying RCA-RCA again.

A friend of mine with an Expert 400 who was using RCA-RCA, just bought a (good) RCA-XLR adapter to try RCA-XLR. He likes the improvements too.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
Well some say comparing RCA vs XLR there is no noticeable difference
(21-Oct-2020, 12:13)hardcore Wrote: Indeed. I've been using an AQ Diamond RCA-RCA with RCA-XLR adapter on my 1000 Pro. It sounds so much better even with the adapter converting to XLR.
I forgot how much better RCA-XLR sounded until I tried removing the adapter and trying RCA-RCA again.

A friend of mine with an Expert 400 who was using RCA-RCA, just bought a (good) RCA-XLR adapter to try RCA-XLR. He likes the improvements too.

You should contact Audioquest to build you a RCA-XLR Diamond. They're done with their issues with the DBS. They wired an AQ Diamond RCA-XLR that I tried. However, I moved to their Wild RCA-XLR that a step-up from their Diamond.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(22-Oct-2020, 01:26)audio_eng Wrote: You should contact Audioquest to build you a RCA-XLR Diamond. They're done with their issues with the DBS. They wired an AQ Diamond RCA-XLR that I tried. However, I moved to their Wild RCA-XLR that a step-up from their Diamond.

Thanks for the suggestion. However I am in Thailand so I suspect this is not going to be practical for me to do, since it will probably require the custom build to be done in the US.
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(26-Oct-2020, 10:33)hardcore Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. However I am in Thailand so I suspect this is not going to be practical for me to do, since it will probably require the custom build to be done in the US.

Audioquest has identical terminating labs in US, Netherlands and Hong Kong. Each of them look after a designated territory. HK will take care of your requirements. Get in touch with HK ppl.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(26-Oct-2020, 10:57)audio_engr Wrote: Audioquest has identical terminating labs in US, Netherlands and Hong Kong. Each of them look after a designated territory. HK will take care of your requirements. Get in touch with HK ppl.

Great info, thanks! Will consider it next time.

In the meantime I am using one of these Cardas Clear adapters. This too was a step up from a cheaper custom Wireworld adapter I was using before.

https://www.amazon.com/Cardas-Audio-Fema...00VMVJ4QM/
Hi,
Using the "stock" RCA - RCA 1m AQ Carbon between my 1000 Pro CI monos now.

RCA - XLR: I´ve heard different things about starting with a 75Ohm RCA cable, and converting the out/companion side with an XLR contact, OR going the other route and starting off with a balanced 110ohn cable, adding an RCA on the master side.
Is there a "consensus" now if the actual cable is supposed to be 75 or 110Ohm to sound at it´s best?

As a sidenote. With my new speakers (Kroma Thais) the sound is more full bodied (compared to the Manger P1). It is not bright. I like the speaker-change very much, but it wouldn´t hurt if the new digital cable in my system would pull out what´s in the treble department in a detailed way.

Best regards Ulf
Related to this topic, there is something that raises some questions for me...

1. I understand that changing the cable between the master and the companion can affect the signal reaching the companion. This assumes that the master is the one who receives the music from the external source.
I suspect that in this case the sound of the master does not have to be affected. It stays the same, no matter which cable sends the signal to the companion.
If these cables bring (easily) noticeable improvements, then don't different sound qualities appear between the master and the companion (meaning between left and right channels)?

2. If, in terms of sound quality, Expert Pro is so sensitive to the type of cable between master and companion, then I think the concept of dual mono is compromised...
I once had this same concern. Personally, I do not hear a difference between left and right channels. I am running RCA to RCA with a trigger cable that allows me to use inputs on both units. Since my 440 Pro is essentially two 220s, I even tried swapping the two 220s (ie. swapping master/companion) to see if it sounded any different. It did not. Intellectually, it still seems to be a valid concern.... If different digital cables produce different sound, then how could it not produce a difference between left and right channels? But to my ears in my system, I am content that there is no sonic impact of this.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA