Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master and companion digital connections
Well somebody owning both a Devialet and a Melco tried the Intona. This mr. anonymous guy should really try a Mutec too! Wink http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showp...stcount=69
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(03-Mar-2016, 21:00)Antoine Wrote: Did not know by the way you were going from D1 to the N1Z! I am honestly surprised and actually curious as to how it would perform through the D1 reclocker, if of course you have tested this and if it is even possible at all.

Well as you know I already tried the previous version of the Mutec between the d1 server and the Devialet. Yes it made a difference but it was pretty subtle and certainly not enough to warrant an additional box and AES cable!

Re the N1Z I believe the SQ is pretty much SOTA, best I have heard in my home setup at least. If I upgraded to that then it would (probably) replace my d1 server and I'm not sure I'd bother with any additional re-clockers, which isn't to say I wouldn't be curious to try one at some point. I'd probably just want to sit back and enjoy the music for a while at least!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Fair enough! Like I said just curious if you'd tried it (Melco through D1 reclocker). Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
My new Audience Au24 SX SPDIF to AES/EBU cable:
[Image: 13043305_633519936801848_227535013360165...e=577763BF]
So if one were to use a RCA/XLR cable from 200 to Companion which means it is not a truly balanced cable would the optimal length still be 1.5M? I say optimal because there are quite a few cable manufacturers who regard this length as the length needed to reduce reflections within the cable when using a single ended digital cable.

I've recently borrowed a very short RCA/XLR cable from a buddy and have been able to configure my Companion to run this way and without any really intensive comparative listening I don't hear too much of a difference between this really short Cardas cable versus the supplied Crystal cable that came with the Companion. As this is a borrowed cable and will have to be returned necessitating my purchasing a replacement I would like opinions/views on whether the 1.5m length is really required.

thanks in advance
Oppo 95 >> HDMI >> Kanex De-embedder >> Digital Coax >> Dev 400 >> Bryston Middle T
I've tried the stock Crystal cable but far prefer the sound of an AudioQuest EagleEye, which happens to be 0.5M long. So at least in that instance 1.5M isn't necessary but I can't say if a 1.5M EagleEye would sound better.
Moved recently from D200 to D400 and I am looking for a good successor of the Crystal liaison cable. I have been able to test 2 distinct RCA/RCA Turned Aray CHORD cables, the Anthem (fully burned in) and the Signature (fresh from the pack).
Cables respective specs give a (theoretical) significant advantage to Signature over Anthem but... my experience let me a bit puzzled. After a dozen of hours long (short?) run, the Signature started to unveil undetectable details and a quasi miraculous tone but to the detriment of the overall sound consistency... while the Anthem came with less realistic details but more cohesion and balance, not to mention a better support of low frequencies and smooth and taut bass impacts.
In 2 words, I suspect that the Signagture is a terrific model but I keep wondering whether the weaknesses I observed are inherent per design or were just caused by an unfinished running-in period. Unless... D400+Anthem is just (for any reason) a better combination than the D400+Signature one, despite the Signature's intrinsic and patent qualities.

Should some of you have a Chord digital cables experience or any opinion/advice to share, welcome!
Turntable VPI Traveler (Dynav. 10x5) - Drive Moon Néo 260D - Devialet D400 - LS Apertura Edena - Phono cable Nordost Blue Heaven - Modulation cable AES/EBU Kharma Matrix Reference - Loudspeaker cables Kharma Matrix Reference
Guys - for those using the RCA-XLR cable to the Companion are we even sure that the signal is still in the digital domain? Given the lack of RCA-RCA or XLR-XLR is it really a digital signal or is it analog?

If analog does it really matter as the Companion would digitize the signal anyway as it does with any inbound signal?

Sorry for my ignorance, just looking to better understand the signal transfer and therefore reduce my chance of making a mistake or at least ensuring of the optimal signal transfer to the Companion.
Oppo 95 >> HDMI >> Kanex De-embedder >> Digital Coax >> Dev 400 >> Bryston Middle T
(06-May-2016, 15:23)Ron D Wrote: Guys - for those using the RCA-XLR cable to the Companion are we even sure that the signal is still in the digital domain? Given the lack of RCA-RCA or XLR-XLR is it really a digital signal or is it analog?

If analog does it really matter as the Companion would digitize the signal anyway as it does with any inbound signal?

Sorry for my ignorance, just looking to better understand the signal transfer and therefore reduce my chance of making a mistake or at least ensuring of the optimal signal transfer to the Companion.

It would be very strange to me if the signal was analog, why would you use a digital RCA out to a AES/EBU in if it were analog? There is much more than just audio being transfered to the companion so this must happen in the digital domain.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

The master to companion link is specifically mentioned in the Devialet user manual as being a digital connection.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12