Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messages to Devialet
(06-Jan-2020, 09:38)Vivialet Wrote: in a dual mono configuration the configurator is also not saving the output level for the pre-out on the slave, so if you connect a subwoofer here you will only have the 2V setting.
uPnP (via Wifi) is working stable for me and gives the best sound quality compared to AIR or RAAT via optimized Ethernet connection (Aqvox switch, optical connection). I'm using Audirvana and sometimes jRiver.
The only downside of uPnP is that it is not gapless...

Yes, there are multiple settings not saved to companion. Practically, all these functionalities cannot be used on dual mono configurations (unless you leave the default value to those settings).
I hope that at least low-pass filter settings for pre-outs for subwoofers and high-pass filter for main speakers are saved.

I don't plan to use the tone controls.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(06-Jan-2020, 09:50)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(06-Jan-2020, 09:38)Vivialet Wrote: in a dual mono configuration the configurator is also not saving the output level for the pre-out on the slave, so if you connect a subwoofer here you will only have the 2V setting.
uPnP (via Wifi) is working stable for me and gives the best sound quality compared to AIR or RAAT via optimized Ethernet connection (Aqvox switch, optical connection). I'm using Audirvana and sometimes jRiver.

Yes, there are multiple settings not saved to companion. Practically, all these functionalities cannot be used on dual mono configurations (unless you leave the default value to those settings).

Which other useful settings are you referring to?
(06-Jan-2020, 16:32)Stino Wrote:
(06-Jan-2020, 09:50)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:

Which other useful settings are you referring to?

I didn't perform full tests in order to detect all settings having this issue, so I don't know the answer to your question.
I am aware about here below settings:
- Balance mode (Mono / Stereo).
- Tone Control Frequency Adjustment for Bass.
- Tone Control Frequency Adjustment for Treble.

As far as I can see, Devialet approach is mixed:
- Some configuration settings are passed in real-time from master to the companion (based on master configuration file), so companion is ignoring his configuration file settings.
- Some configuration settings are not passed in real-time from master to the companion, so companion is acting as per his configuration file. ---> Issue is manifesting on some of these settings, because configurator is not saving values set by user into both configuration files, but into master file only.
I think one clear message to Devialet should be to...

a) improve/debug the online configurator, and
b) release documentation on the configurator so that others can build tools to accomplish what the configurator is doing.

I have to believe that the rules and relationships of the configurator must already be well understood and documented by Devialet. I don't see a down side for them to release such documentation. Sure, I'd love to see the configurator integrated directly in my Expert Pro so that I'm no longer depending upon Devialet's online confiigurator. But having detailed documentation on it would assure long-term support without reliance on Devialet (well, right up to when they may change it).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I think a reason that they won't want to release the configurator secret sauce is that the amps are all essentially the same and my suspicion is it'd be possible to turn a 120 into a 200 via the config file by editing the power settings that are in there.  If it's as I suspect, that's going to cannibalise their sales on the expert series and it'll be the beginning of the end.

The only way it's going to happen is if someone reverse engineers the configurator IMO... and that's only a matter of time.
440 Pro CI, Roon ROCK, Technics 1200G, Celestion Ditton 66
(07-Jan-2020, 07:36)pjlarge Wrote: I think a reason that they won't want to release the configurator secret sauce is that the amps are all essentially the same and my suspicion is it'd be possible to turn a 120 into a 200 via the config file by editing the power settings that are in there.  If it's as I suspect, that's going to cannibalise their sales on the expert series and it'll be the beginning of the end.

The only way it's going to happen is if someone reverse engineers the configurator IMO... and that's only a matter of time.

I think you're wrong. I suspect the code line that limits the power output is actually contained in the firmware which is why, when you start up in Factory Configuration mode, your amp tells you what model it is and why you're limited to the power rating for that model amp.

My guess is that the firmware contains code that basically says something like "set the power output to the wattage output for this model amp unless the config file contains a setting specifying a lower wattage output". I think that to increase the amp's output you would need to hack the firmware as well as simply editing the config file.

Even if you could do that, take a look at the difference in power output when you go dual amp. Looking at current models, the 140 gets a 50% increase to 210 watts, the 220 gets a 100% increase to 440 watts, and the 250 gets a 400% increase to 1000 watts. The reasons for those differences are because there are differences in the power supplies and heat sinking, Try and tell a 120 that it's a 200 and you are likely to run into problems which could damage the amplifier.

If you really want to be adventurous however, it's an open secret that the config file is a simple text file. You can open it in an ordinary text editor and edit it yourself, any time you like. I got confirmation of that when my 130 got it's CI board upgrade. Those upgrades were done locally here in Australia and Devialet had a technician visit my dealer for a couple of days. People took their amps in and dropped them off, and came back a day or so later to pick them up. I picked mine up, took it home, and created a new config file on the configurator but the amp wouldn't recognise it. Since the technician was still going to be at the shop for another day, I rang him and he asked me to email him my file. A little bit later he emailed it back to me with a message to say that it had got corrupted in the download and he had edited it to fix the problem. The edited file worked fine. Anyone who wants to spend a bit of time at it can create a number of different config files with the configurator, download them, and by comparing the lines relating to the different choices you make in the configurator, you can easily work out what you need to edit to change the power output limit in the config file. I doubt it would work because I think there will also be code in the firmware which would need to be edited and the firmware isn't text files so it will be written in some programming language but even if you can increase the output by simply editing the config file I would strongly recommend against it because the differences between the different amps and their outputs is related to more than just a couple of lines in the config file. There are hardware differences as well and exceeding the amp's rated output could damage the amp.

Basically, if you're willing to spend the time experimenting right now, you don't need to use the configurator, you could simply edit your config files in a text editor once you learnt to understand the way they are written. The only problem I can think of is if the config files contain some sort of check character generated by the configurator to tell the amp's opeprataing system that the file is genuine.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Just a friendly reminder, if I may, that this thread is not for discussion.  Smile

Repeating Confused’s intention:

Quote:Mindful of the above, I propose this thread as a conduit for any messages anyone wishes to post aimed directly for Devialet to read.  Devialet may choose not to communicate with us, but we can at least communicate with them.  I would also propose that we try to keep this thread civil, factual and to the point.  There is little point in this tread being a proxy for another general grumpy customer moaning thread, so try to keep posts to the point, mindful of this threads clearly stated intention that this is messages from Devialet customers for you Devialet to read and take due notice of.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Sad to see CEO is solely fucusing on expanding business rather than communicating or taking care of the brand or core products / customers.
Just very recent announcement at CES https://www.linkedin.com/posts/franckleb...03776-iBNg
Yep, here’s another link

https://www.whathifi.com/news/devialet-a...rt-speaker
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.