Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My D200 is ..leaking!
Took a look at the bottom of my D200 recently and noticed some oily residue around some of the screws. Opened up the D to find the oily fluid all over the PCB around the "Damp" unit (actual naming) in the middle which looks like a thermal pad. My D is working flawlessly so I expect the liquid to do no harm. Still, a strange feeling remains.

Anybody on here with similar observations?
D200. B&W CM10S2. ROON over AIR for Tidal. Chromecast Audio thru SPDIF for Spotify Connect. Technics SL-1200, Ortofon 2M Bronze. 2x Reactor 600 as desktop monitors. Head/earphones: Denon AH-D5000, Campfire Andromeda S.
I will immediately get in touch with Devialet Customer Service and report the same to them ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(08-Feb-2019, 18:47)audio_engr Wrote: I will immediately get in touch with Devialet Customer Service and report the same to them ...

Are there any electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board ? I had something similar on a PS Audio PowerPlant one time when one failed. 

(Kudos to PS Audio - they replaced the unit without hesitation)
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Could it be from the thermal pads? I have seen them leak oily fluids over time, it usually isn't that much of a problem since it isn't conductive. But it usually means that the thermal pads become less and less effective.
• Kuzma Stabi S turntable • Kuzma Stogi S arm • Benz Micro ACE H cartridge • PC with MusicBee / WASAPI source • Oyaide d+ NEO B-Class USB cable • Devialet 200 amplifier • Blue Jeans Ten speaker cable • GoldenEar Triton One •

I’ve noticed this as well when I had to open the D once. This oily residue is indeed coming from the thermal pad. I did not worry about this oil bleed for a second, it’s not conductive.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(08-Feb-2019, 18:47)audio_engr Wrote: I will immediately get in touch with Devialet Customer Service and report the same to them ...

Same with your 440s? Are you telling them you took a look inside?

(08-Feb-2019, 21:13)Bwaze Wrote: Could it be from the thermal pads? I have seen them leak oily fluids over time, it usually isn't that much of a problem since it isn't conductive. But it usually means that the thermal pads become less and less effective.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I googled it and found it is not uncommon for thermal pads to leak, just like you say. Seems to be a common thing in computer electronics such as graphics cards fitted with thermal pads.
D200. B&W CM10S2. ROON over AIR for Tidal. Chromecast Audio thru SPDIF for Spotify Connect. Technics SL-1200, Ortofon 2M Bronze. 2x Reactor 600 as desktop monitors. Head/earphones: Denon AH-D5000, Campfire Andromeda S.
(09-Feb-2019, 13:21)Antoine Wrote: I’ve noticed this as well when I had to open the D once. This oily residue is indeed coming from the thermal pad. I did not worry about this oil bleed for a second, it’s not conductive.

Oversaw this.. Ok, thanks, sounds good Smile
Can't really completely wrap my head around this being no issue at all.

Are you guys sure this cannot do any harm at all in the long run? Couldn't oxidation or any other kind of deterioration of the oil cause the same to the surface of the PCB it covers?
What was devialet s response?
If anything the oil would rather prevent oxidation as it’ll shield the metals from the oxygen in the air. Smile

Of course you could ask Devialet for some peace of mind but I’m sure they’ve chosen a safe material as it covers the whole of the D-amp (digital amp) board.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands