Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge & alternatives - Questions, and Opinions Invited
Thanks guys.
Its true that my list of wants and needs is getting my feeble brain very twisted. But I have come to some minor resolutions. One is that Deezer may not be the essential that I originally thought. Were' trillion Tidal now, and it seems to have a much better music selection and range than it did two or three years ago. That is my impression, at least.

Secondly, I think that a digital out is essential; that eliminates the Brooklyn Bridge and the Aurlic Altair G1, both of which are available used at the moment.

The NAD M12 and the similar integrated M32 amp do everything I want, but I am not certain about the streaming quality. @thumb5 you are quite correct that the kitchen system SQ is not as important. I know the NAD stuff uses the BluOS set up, and I hope that it is better than say, a Bluesond Node or Vault, even just based on power supplies. But that is a guess and hope.

The Moon mind 280 is a contender, and the French Atoll company has two streamers, the ST200 Signature and the less expensive MS 120 that are intriguing. So, I'm thrashing around as much as ever. Ack! (See avatar pic for true-to-life self portrait).
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(01-Feb-2021, 19:40)Confused Wrote: I thought of the Cambridge CXN....

It ticks a few boxes, it has both analogue and S/PDIF outputs, has USB in, so you can use a music server.  Plus, I recall you liked your Cambridge CD player, which perhaps bodes well for sound quality via the digital output to the Devialet.  I believe you can select fixed or variable output, but this will apply to both analogue and digital, does fixed analogue output work for you?

Then I noticed that Deezer support is offered but via Chromecast or AirPlay, I guess that is not "proper" Deezer support?  Maybe it is actually OK?
Definitely, the CXN V2 is a contender. Ironically, the better Azur 851N does not make it, no digital out!  And there is a note on Deezer
https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/h...ers-Deezer

(01-Feb-2021, 19:40)Confused Wrote: EDIT: and to back up @Snoopy8 's earlier comment, this recent post is relevant:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-my-syste...9#pid99229
Interesting.  I have my doubts that the A2D has been upgraded in the Pro range..  

(02-Feb-2021, 01:53)Damon Wrote: Secondly, I think that a digital out is essential; that eliminates the Brooklyn Bridge and the Aurlic Altair G1, both of which are available used at the moment.
Also eliminate NAD C658, no digital out.

(02-Feb-2021, 01:53)Damon Wrote: The NAD M12 and the similar integrated M32 amp do everything I want, but I am not certain about the streaming quality. @thumb5 you are quite correct that the kitchen system SQ is not as important. I know the NAD stuff uses the BluOS set up, and I hope that it is better than say, a Bluesond Node or Vault, even just based on power supplies. But that is a guess and hope.
You should have no worries about the NAD M12 and its SQ and streaming. Build quality, particularly the NAD Master series is a big step up from Node & Vault; better case, components, power supply, analog stages etc....  It uses the same BluOS as BlueSound (same parent company). BluOS is probably the easiest to set up and use phone/tablet app around.  Looks good and is regularly enhanced and updated.

If M12 does not break the bank, that is my suggestion going forward...
@Snoopy8

Thanks very much. I really appreciate your support of the M12. I have a demo, with the BluOS module, available, and I can afford it. But, and I'd love your take on this: I can get a M32 integrated for the same price. It would do the M12 stuff, plus eliminate the external amp for the kitchen. Do you have any thoughts about the M32 instead?
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(31-Jan-2021, 04:21)Snoopy8 Wrote: Suggest looking at the Auralic range, from Altair G1 to Vega 2.1 depending on budget, SQ demands.  They support Deezer!

Also BluOS supports Deezer, so can consider NAD C658, NAD M12

Leaving out the amplification part, do you think the Auralic Vega 2.1 sounds as good as / better than the Devialet?
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(02-Feb-2021, 02:35)Damon Wrote: @Snoopy8

Thanks very much. I really appreciate your support of the M12. I have a demo, with the BluOS module, available, and I can afford it. But, and I'd love your tan on this, I can get a M32 integrated for the same price. It would do the M12 stuff, plus eliminate the external amp for the kitchen. Do you have any thoughts about the M32 instead?
Note that the M32 does not have BluOS natively, and you will need to add a MDC card module.

The M10 is cheaper than M32, but with less power.  But if I had the money the M33 is what I will go for; the new Purifi amp is superb.
Thanks @Snoopy8 The rapid replies are extremely helpful, and the info in your posts. The used M32 has both the MDC and the BluOS card apparently. I'll confirm tomorrow. The M33 is $7,500.00 or so, CDN, and that is not going to be a success on the domestic front. So, I'm very close to either the M12 or the M32. The flexibility of the NAD units is really appealing and important.  I'll decide tomorrow. 

Again, my thanks
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
(02-Feb-2021, 02:43)ICUDoc Wrote: Leaving out the amplification part, do you think the Auralic Vega 2.1 sounds as good as / better than the Devialet?
I think this will be an apple vs a pear comparison....

Firstly, the Vega has a streamer, the Expert Pro needs one. You have mentioned the lack of amplification in the Vega. Also, how do you compare the technology such as SAM, ADH etc.. that the Expert Pro has, which I think provides the biggest value? Is it even possible to isolate everything else and compare the DAC only?
(02-Feb-2021, 01:53)Damon Wrote: ...
The Moon mind 280 is a contender...

The 280D looked as though it only has fixed analog outputs, and no digital outputs, so may not give you the flexibility you need.

Fingers crossed that the NAD M12 or M32 do the job!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(02-Feb-2021, 03:16)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 02:43)ICUDoc Wrote: Leaving out the amplification part, do you think the Auralic Vega 2.1 sounds as good as / better than the Devialet?
I think this will be an apple vs a pear comparison....

Firstly, the Vega has a streamer, the Expert Pro needs one.  You have mentioned the lack of amplification in the Vega.  Also, how do you compare the technology such as SAM, ADH etc.. that the Expert Pro has, which I think provides the biggest value?  Is it even possible to isolate everything else and compare the DAC only?
Fair.
Maybe the right question is: Can the Vega 2.1 be part of a system that exceeds the ultimate SQ of the Devialet?
But I take your point- very different machines.
I am contemplating a Streamer / DAC to go in front of my Gryphon Antileon: I was wondering if it would be better than the D440 Expert Pro CI
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(02-Feb-2021, 09:11)ICUDoc Wrote: Maybe the right question is: Can the Vega 2.1 be part of a system that exceeds the ultimate SQ of the Devialet?
But I take your point- very different machines.
I am contemplating a Streamer / DAC to go in front of my Gryphon Antileon: I was wondering if it would be better than the D440 Expert Pro CI
Understand your question now.  

Wow, a Gryphon Antileon, paired with a Auralic Vega 2.1 versus D440 Expert Pro paired with say a Auralic Aries G2.1
  • Comparing amplifiers:  Pure Class A vs Class A & Class D with ADH and SAM.  Both have plenty of power. I think this could be personal preference because the Expert Pro has a different sound signature to others.  
  • Comparing DACs: Vega 2.1 DAC vs Devialet Magic Wire DAC.  Devialet claim the signal path from DAC to amplifier is short and very good.  Need a top analog inter connect between the Vega and Gryphon, otherwise Expert Pro could be slightly ahead
  • Comparing streamers.  I suspect the streamers are the same, with similar power supplies, internal clocks, chassis.  Need a top digital cable into Expert Pro, otherwise Vega could be slightly ahead because it feeds internally to DAC.
I suspect the differences are small from a technology viewpoint.  Will need someone to compare them side by side, to then talk about SQ differences, detail, sound stage etc. etc.

Not sure this is enough to answer your question though?