Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
NAD Masters M33 -- first review
(Cross posted from Roon Forum).  Many people are eagerly awaiting reviews for subject integrated amp, which features the first mass commercialization of Bruno Putzey’s Purifi amplication. In addition, the M33 has a basic (upgrade available) DiracLive room-correction function. Below is a link to a Dutch review, which requires Google Translate or some other translation service for non-Dutch speakers.

We can also expect a review in the September Stereophile and another by John Darko. Although the device has not yet been Roon certified, the Dutch reviewer indicates it works fine already with Roon. The M33 also has the BluOS system. Initial impression by the reviewer: awesome amp with 5 out of 5 stars.

For those of us who own Devialet products, the NAD Masters M33 is a good example of innovation that was once the hallmark of Devialet.  One only hopes that the company will get back to its roots.

HiFi.NL review
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Dirac Live integration is nice!

Other than that I’ll have to hear it to believe that it is close to Devialet level.

There are countless products that got 5 star reviews that are very far from it.

But I agree, Devialet needs to focus its engineering resources on high end too, not just on Huawei and Delkin half baked speaker docks.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Wink 
(08-Aug-2020, 15:49)bernardl Wrote: Dirac Live integration is nice!

Other than that I’ll have to hear it to believe that it is close to Devialet level.

There are countless products that got 5 star reviews that are very far from it.

But I agree, Devialet needs to focus its engineering resources on high end too, not just on Huawei and Delkin half baked speaker docks.

Cheers,
Bernard
We need more reviews.  I have a friend who used to own Devialet and who will get a NAD Masters M33 loaner.  His impressions will tell me more than one review.  I still love my Devialet Expert 200 Pro but if Devialet doesn't step up its innovation, I could be persuaded to move on.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I also hope to get a chance to hear an M33 to compare to my 440 Pro. Unfortunately, the M33s are just not yet readily available. That will change.

My experience with NAD in the past has been quite positive. I owned an M2 prior to jumping into Devialet. NAD gets very high marks for innovation and good bang-for-the-buck products. But, IMO, they really haven't achieved what I consider a true high-end solution. The M33 is likely to be their best to date. I suspect it will all come down to just how well they've integrated their DAC and Putzey hybrid amplification. No doubt that the many bells and whistles will make it shine and that alone will make it popular in it's price bracket, but to be a giant killer... to be an Expert Pro killer, it will all come down to sound quality. Can't wait to find out just how good that'll be.

Watch out Devialet.... they're coming for you.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I too owned a NAD M2 and loved it until I bought the 440 Pro. I also own an NAD M17v2 as my surround processor which feeds into the 440 for the front speakers and has Dirac Live (Full Frequency) and BlueOS built in. These two technologies which NAD push as being amazing, I was really excited about trying but ultimately was left disappointed.

Others may have had a different experience but for me after spending hours and hours with the microphone trying to setup Dirac Live multiple times it always ended up giving me a bass light profile and frustratingly you cannot tweak the settings yourself afterwards. It's a case of Dirac knows best and if you don't like it, then that's tough! More surprisingly and less of an issue for 2 channel listening was also the fact that if you add Atmos height speakers to your system it turns off Dirac Live and it cannot be used all.

On the BluOS front it didn't sound as good as using AIR directly to the Devialet or as good as using my Auralic Aries streaming bridge so ultimately was used for one listening session and then abandoned. Maybe things have improved over the past couple of years but the M33 is going to have to have much improved versions of these technologies and be absolutely outstanding to be be Devialet beater.
(08-Aug-2020, 19:18)Laura Wrote: I too owned a NAD M2 and loved it until I bought the 440 Pro. I also own an NAD M17v2 as my surround processor which feeds into the 440 for the front speakers and has Dirac Live (Full Frequency) and BlueOS built in. These two technologies which NAD push as being amazing, I was really excited about trying but ultimately was left disappointed.

Others may have had a different experience but for me after spending hours and hours with the microphone trying to setup Dirac Live multiple times it always ended up giving me a bass light profile and frustratingly you cannot tweak the settings yourself afterwards. It's a case of Dirac knows best and if you don't like it, then that's tough! More surprisingly and less of an issue for 2 channel listening was also the fact that if you add Atmos height speakers to your system it turns off Dirac Live and it cannot be used all.

On the BluOS front it didn't sound as good as using AIR directly to the Devialet or as good as using my Auralic Aries streaming bridge so ultimately was used for one listening session and then abandoned. Maybe things have improved over the past couple of years but the M33 is going to have to have much improved versions of these technologies and be absolutely outstanding to be be Devialet beater.
For me, the attraction is primarily the first mass adoption of Purifi technology.  If that doesn't match or beat the Devialet SQ then all is for naught.  Second reason would be DiracLive room correction.  Finally, not to raise a ruckus here, it'd be nice to have full MQA implementation.  As for BluOS, I would run the amp with Roon and not bother with it.
For 2ch Dirac Live there is also the minidsp SHD Studio which is seeing nice reputation, but I agree Purify is really interesting.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
If anyone’s interested avf just reviewed the krell......

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/krell-k...view.17731

They were blown away.
D220 Expert Pro CI. Totem Acoustic Tribe Tower Loudspeakers.
Phantom Reactor 600 for Mrs Oz.
(10-Aug-2020, 20:12)Ozzzy189 Wrote: If anyone’s interested avf just reviewed the krell......

They were blown away.

Must be something... but not for me.
I already had my dose of Krell, Levinson and other very good american gear.
Very pleasant and good to enjoy untill the day you have a problem and need some support. A nightmare, and if you keep the equipment for several years, forget it.
Nothing against them, on the contrary, they produce superb hi-end material, but I live on the other side of the Atlantic and this was a huge problem for me in the past.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(11-Aug-2020, 00:44)BoyScout Wrote:
(10-Aug-2020, 20:12)Ozzzy189 Wrote: If anyone’s interested avf just reviewed the krell......

They were blown away.

Must be something... but not for me.
I already had my dose of Krell, Levinson and other very good american gear.
Very pleasant and good to enjoy untill the day you have a problem and need some support. A nightmare, and if you keep the equipment for several years, forget it.
Nothing against them, on the contrary, they produce superb hi-end material, but I live on the other side of the Atlantic and this was a huge problem for me in the past.

Good point,especially if you have first hand experience with them.
What I don’t understand is why people are looking elsewhere because dev appear to have gone off the expert boil.
It’s still good kit with great sound, it’s not like it’s suddenly become crap!
The nad is interesting but will it better a 220? I doubt it but it’s competitors are naim and the expert 140 really.
D220 Expert Pro CI. Totem Acoustic Tribe Tower Loudspeakers.
Phantom Reactor 600 for Mrs Oz.