Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Tone Controls settings
If I were to increase the BASS by +6 dB and the chosen cut-off frequency is 100Hz, where will I observe this +6dB boost ?  

- In the 20Hz to 100Hz range (PINK arrow)  OR
- In the 100Hz to 500Hz range (BLUE arrow) 
[ please click on the thumbnail below ]
[img][Image: tone-controls-settings.jpg][/img]
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
below 100Hz. It does not allow to have a notch fiter to reduce or boost a specific frequency range like it would be easily possible with Roon.
Thank you !
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Just to add to @Music or sound 's comments. A while ago I did a check with REW. I measured the in room frequency response curve with the Devialet treble set to 0dB, and then set at -3dB. In the graphs you could see the slope start to drop very gradually from the set frequency of 2000Hz, but it does not reach the full -3dB until 20kHz. In fact, as my in room response is reasonably flat from 500Hz, setting the treble down -3dB gives an in room response that looks like a moderate version of the classic "Harmon" curve. OK - That's for treble, so in your case I would expect no change to the bass at the 100Hz set point, then increasing gradually, hitting +6dB at 20Hz.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(30-Jan-2019, 18:09)audio_engr Wrote: If I were to increase the BASS by +6 dB and the chosen cut-off frequency is 100Hz, where will I observe this +6dB boost ?  

As you use Roon wouldn’t you be better off just doing it in their DSP? It’s far more flexible, and you can experiment much more easily than you can with a Devialet.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(30-Jan-2019, 20:46)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(30-Jan-2019, 18:09)audio_engr Wrote: If I were to increase the BASS by +6 dB and the chosen cut-off frequency is 100Hz, where will I observe this +6dB boost ?  

As you use Roon wouldn’t you be better off just doing it in their DSP?  It’s far more flexible, and you can experiment much more easily than you can with a Devialet.

Yes, I suppose doing it in Roon would be better. Thank you!
Useful to know for non-Roon applications such as turntables. Thanks Smile
The tone controls of the Devialet act as shelf filters. If you select 100Hz and -2db the -2db are only reached at the lowest end (20Hz). In Roon you can use peak filters which are much better for solving room problems.
The Devialet tone controls are more for voicing.