Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical dropouts with DOS2
Hi-

I've had a pair of phantom golds with a dialog that have been working great.  That is until I updated the firmware.  Now when playing via optical into one of the phantoms I get a brief, but very distracting, dropout every few minutes.  Occasionally this seems connected to the use of the phantom remote, but not consistently.  It will also happen randomly during a track.  Here's my setup:

Roon operating via a intel NUC -> roon streaming to AURALiC Aries Mini -> optical out to Phantom Gold -> Stereo pair Phantom Golds connected with Ethernet.

I also have a dialogue that appears to be unnecessary in the system now.  I did update the dialogue and tried running the optical input from the Aries Mini into it, but I wasn't able to get sound into the phantoms that way.  It kept defaulting to the Phantom optical input, even though there was nothing playing on it.

I confirmed that the optical stream coming from Roon and the Mini are clean by connecting them to another speaker system where I heard no dropouts. 

For the past year and a half I used this setup flawlessly.  Roon in combination with the phantom golds in stereo pair in my dedicated sound room has been a real pleasure.  It's very frustrating for the system to again be unstable.

Anyone run into a similar issue and have a workaround?
(25-Nov-2019, 02:28)Mies Wrote: Hi-

I've had a pair of phantom golds with a dialog that have been working great.  That is until I updated the firmware.  Now when playing via optical into one of the phantoms I get a brief, but very distracting, dropout every few minutes.  Occasionally this seems connected to the use of the phantom remote, but not consistently.  It will also happen randomly during a track.  Here's my setup:

Roon operating via a intel NUC -> roon streaming to AURALiC Aries Mini -> optical out to Phantom Gold -> Stereo pair Phantom Golds connected with Ethernet.

I also have a dialogue that appears to be unnecessary in the system now.  I did update the dialogue and tried running the optical input from the Aries Mini into it, but I wasn't able to get sound into the phantoms that way.  It kept defaulting to the Phantom optical input, even though there was nothing playing on it.

I confirmed that the optical stream coming from Roon and the Mini are clean by connecting them to another speaker system where I heard no dropouts. 

For the past year and a half I used this setup flawlessly.  Roon in combination with the phantom golds in stereo pair in my dedicated sound room has been a real pleasure.  It's very frustrating for the system to again be unstable.

Anyone run into a similar issue and have a workaround?

Reach out to their support team Big Grin
Maybe try without Dialog?
(25-Nov-2019, 10:48)Haytera Wrote: Reach out to their support team Big Grin

Dong that now.
(25-Nov-2019, 11:19)Snoopy8 Wrote: Maybe try without Dialog?

Hi Snoopy-

I completely disconnected the Dialog and unfortunately get the same issue with dropouts.