Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Remote is so dumb that it is dangerous.
The
(15-Sep-2015, 18:00)nigelb001 Wrote:
(15-Sep-2015, 17:03)alandbush Wrote: I recently reported a change I did not like that was implemented with Spark 1.2.0.
It now changes the volume to a default value of 35 when the source is changed, eg. Tidal to optical.

The reply, which is probably sensible was

"Yes indeed, this is completely normal and a security measure.
The reason is that basically Spark does not know which source you are going to stream. However each source has a basic sound power.
Which is why for exemple you could stream optical content at 45% and get a correct Phantom volume, but then you skip to Deezer content and a 45% volume might blow your hears off.
So by security our engineers decided that each new sources reverts to a safe 35%."

I suspect that must have been at the request of a user experience.
So, although it should not be necessary, I would report your scary experience, if you have not already, and hope something can be actioned.

Read the original post again. The volume was at 100 due to someone fiddling with the remote while in mute. The gripe is that there was no indication on the remote that this had happened and would have been avoided had Devialet stuck to the original spec of the remote with a display of volume.

Devialet needs to be careful here as the original promises for this fantastic piece of Hi Fi equipment are not forthcoming. As long as these changes and delays (coming soon....) are happening, current and prospective customers are going to be very disappointed. The minor changes to Spark did not go anywhere near far enough and the lack of facilities for different streaming sources sadly continue to be lacking. Devialet needs to pull their fingers out and listen to stop alienating people. It's a shame as the Phantom has so much promise, but I suspect that the investors in Devialet are pushing for product volume and profits rather than the superb listening experience it could and should be.

It seems my reply was not as clear as I hoped it would be Angry

I understand that there is no relation between the dangerous remote behaviour and the Spark update to the volume at source change.  I appreciate that the current remote is an inept implementation of the proposed prototype.

I was simply describing a change made by Devialet, perhaps due to a user reported issue, to set the Spark volume to a safe level together with the expectation that if the issue was reported they would also respond appropriately and prevent this occurrence with a software update (if that's at all possible?). Perhaps, even, recall the remotes.

Of course, the other more direct action would be to return the item stating that it is unfit for purpose.  If sufficient remotes are returned, or not sold, then you would hope Devialet would get the message loud and clear.
I asked for a display added to the D-Premier remote several years ago and was told by a senior Devialet engineer that because of the way the system worked battery life would be unacceptably short if they did, and the soon to arrive iPhone app would resolve the display on remote requirement, which it did, though the biggest attraction of the Devialet remote for me is the rotary control, so I don't use the app.
When I admired the display on the Phantom remote, which I had planned to buy, he said the same thing, it was subsequently dropped so I won't be buying one.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Hi

Let's not be too harsh with Devialet... The company will be certainly fix all the on-going issues...

However, I do agree that there are some serious issues with volume...When connecting a source via Bluetooth, the volume will automatically rise to 70...  So before connecting a Bluetooth device, make sure the volume of the device (TV, Computer, etc..) is reduced significantly...otherwise, you will experience the same painful high volume listening...

Thx
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
I am an expert user, but was quite jealous when I first saw the phantom remote and it's display. I've just learnt from this thread that Devialet skimped on the remote nod there is no display...

Very disappointing! Big opportunity lost there. cutting corners and costs for speed to market.
(15-Sep-2015, 18:00)nigelb001 Wrote:
(15-Sep-2015, 17:03)alandbush Wrote: I recently reported a change I did not like that was implemented with Spark 1.2.0.
It now changes the volume to a default value of 35 when the source is changed, eg. Tidal to optical.

The reply, which is probably sensible was

"Yes indeed, this is completely normal and a security measure.
The reason is that basically Spark does not know which source you are going to stream. However each source has a basic sound power.
Which is why for exemple you could stream optical content at 45% and get a correct Phantom volume, but then you skip to Deezer content and a 45% volume might blow your hears off.
So by security our engineers decided that each new sources reverts to a safe 35%."

I suspect that must have been at the request of a user experience.
So, although it should not be necessary, I would report your scary experience, if you have not already, and hope something can be actioned.

Read the original post again. The volume was at 100 due to someone fiddling with the remote while in mute. The gripe is that there was no indication on the remote that this had happened and would have been avoided had Devialet stuck to the original spec of the remote with a display of volume.

Devialet needs to be careful here as the original promises for this fantastic piece of Hi Fi equipment are not forthcoming. As long as these changes and delays (coming soon....) are happening, current and prospective customers are going to be very disappointed. The minor changes to Spark did not go anywhere near far enough and the lack of facilities for different streaming sources sadly continue to be lacking. Devialet needs to pull their fingers out and listen to stop alienating people. It's a shame as the Phantom has so much promise, but I suspect that the investors in Devialet are pushing for product volume and profits rather than the superb listening experience it could and should be.

(15-Sep-2015, 18:28)Felix Wrote: Unlike you guys, who are already Devialet customers and Phantom owners; I haven't yet bitten the bullet and bought the Phantom, or even an Expert amp.
I'm here on the forum to learn and glean information before taking the plunge.

What I'm reading so far, both here and on other forums, doesn't fill me with confidence.

My understanding (I might have got it wrong) is that Devialet is a big project, with some serious financial backing and reputed to have a very large R&D budget.
Nobody makes that level of investment without having big ambitions.
So far they've delivered some stunning new technology, wrapped up in some very attractive industrial design.
There's a big advertising budget and they have an impressive, stylish and up market looking web presence, as well as very professional marketing at shows and dedicated showcase showrooms.
Now their latest PR for the US launch of the Phantom, harnesses association with and endorse by major pop stars and personalities.
The objective seems to be to create a desirable premium brand, with all the trapping that come with it.

So why do I get the feeling this is all going to blow up in Devialet's face if they're not careful?

My impression is that they are failing to deliver on all the important smaller detail, the important things that count and that can lead to a poor user experience and ultimately, disappointment.

It's one thing if audiophiles and people used to experimenting with audio kit, can find work-arounds or get used to the shortcomings; but if they start letting down people who are spending big bucks and who expect everything to work "out of the box', then Devialet will rapidly gain a poor reputation which will stick like poison.

Phantom, as a whole package, is clearly underdeveloped and not ready for market. I could argue that it has been released too soon.

Just some of the gripes I hear over and over....
No stands available at launch, then only available months later in limited numbers and then sold out.
Substitution of a promised, useable remote control, with a limited and flawed product that reeks of "Cheap". Except it is not cheap!
Set-up and WiFi problems.
Spark - under developed at launch and despite upgrades, still falls behind.
Bluetooth but no AirPlay, despite a large chunk of the target audience being very much in the market for this (particularly in the US).
Dialog build quality and overheating problems.
Poor connectivity, with limited ports.

Next?

Don't get me wrong and think I'm just here to slag off Devialet and be negative.
I really want this product to succeed and I would dearly like to replace some of my existing HiFi gear with a Phantom set-up.
However, at the moment, I am not filled with confidence and I'm not sure if I should shell out thousands of £££'s to effectively be a Beta tester for a mk1 version of a product.

Am I wrong?

m

Totally agreed.
Silly system at Devialet! Got invite to buy Remote online; ordered one; no UK shop so had to order from France shop; order accepted; then money refunded!

Ordered one yesterday from Harrods; arrived today; actually I rather like it!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(18-Sep-2015, 14:10)IanG-UK Wrote: Silly system at Devialet! Got invite to buy Remote online; ordered one; no UK shop so had to order from France shop; order accepted; then money refunded!

Ordered one yesterday from Harrods; arrived today; actually I rather like it!

Hi Ian,

Did you try this shop?

https://store.devialet.com/uk_en/ Seems to be the one catering for English customers, although it shows the Branch "as coming soon".

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Saw the Remote yesterday, picked it up and had a play with its rotary volume control.
There doesn't appear to be any unassigned click facility for later updates. Just the rotary control for volume.
The Devialet salesman said that a new mk2 Remote will probably be released next year.

He also said, two customers who had received their Remotes, having had them on pre-order for a long time, had asked for a refund as the limited functionality is not what they expected or felt they had been led to believe it would be.

Rather cheekily, he suggested buying the Remote, as £129 wasn't much money, and then upgrading to the next model when it's released.
Yeh! I thought. On 'yer bike mate!
Just thought I'd post this here. Maybe Devialet was inspired by it...

https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/products/mo...l-d-remote

Anyways, I'm not going to praise too much this find, because I haven't used it. Ok, I praise it. There. But, at least it has more options. Buttons instead of touch-screen? Good until the buttons break? Good for "feel control" instead of "visual control" .

If Devialet can make durable buttons, it could be worth it.

The find has what it seems rotating volume control; 3 buttons up top, plus 3 buttons up bottom, and it seems they are "mute/unmute"; a music symbol (for who knows what); and a power on/off? (the remote? ...or the system?)
I have an 'old' Devialet D Premier (bought in 2011), I mounted it on the wall and I can see the volume setting on the unit itself but not on the original remote control.

I decided not to upgrade a couple of years later to whatever the next model was for about £3K. Aside from the fact that I'd shelled out £11K for it a couple of years before, I wasn't too keen on upgrading because of poor UX, particularly with the firmware. I remember I had to install the wifi module myself as an upgrade (free) and then wait for about 6 months until HD streaming was possible. Even then it didn't really work very well and there were a barrage of complaints.

As a consequence of not upgrading I now miss out on some tech upgrades like SAM for example. It also means if I bought a Phantom, I can't link it to the D Premier in any way. Until I found this out I was quite interested.

I agree with Felix's comments above. I would add that Devialet try so hard to be like Apple but sometimes forget the basics. I bought one of the original iPads and even though I've bought many more since and there are no further software upgrades it still talks to my other Apple devices.

Even if the Phantom did link to my D Premier I don't think I would buy one now. I don't want to be saddled with months of frustrating 1st generation problems I've experienced with Devialet before and seem to be widely reported on the forum.

I'm happy with my D Premier's sound as it is, but they may have lost me as a future customer with their over-ambitious, tech driven, planned obsolescence strategy.