Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom vs current system
Hi!

First of all I am not an audiophile but like to listen to music a lot and value the quality of the sound...  also like a lot the simplicity of not needing to have many devices (amp + speakers + ...) 

Having this in mind, a couple years ago I bought a pair of speakers which were a big upgrade for me at the time (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/D...ers/S-DJ08). Lately I have been thinking on investing some more $$$ in a better set but was kind of scared of the price and complexity of many upgrade options...

Now I have seem the phanton and its claim of simplicity + incredible sound quality + accessible price tag... and was wondering if it would be worth to exchange my speakers for it (in this case it would be only 1 as its already on the limit of my stretched budget)

My main uses are:
1) Listen to music in my living room of more or less 40 m2 (70% of time) 
2) Connect to a projector and what movies (20% of time)
3) Some small parties in a terrace of +- 30 m2 with more or less 20 people (10% of time - thus some level of portability would be great)

I listen mostly to FLAC music through ipad or spotify high quality streaming.

Do you think the upgrade would be worth it? Even with 1 phanton only?

Also I was planning on getting the silver one for the parties...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!!!
One word.

YES!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
ONE WORD : NO (or MAYBE or NOT YET).

For 80% of your time, it will be okay.
For 20% of your time, with movies, if your sources are anything else than a HTPC, there will be a delay between audio and video. Beware, and wait. Like me.
As a main system I would not buy a 'mono' speaker in case you like serious music listening. Too much is happening and put on purpose in space by the sound engineer, both for music and movies. A simple, affordable (1-2k€) stereo system consisting of a decent amp and 2 speakers gives you a good stereo reproduction, mostly reduced in the frequency spectrum and having some coloration in comparison to an expensive setup. The phantom has low coloration (= very natural sound, little distortion) and is able to reproduce the full audio spectrum, even at high volumes. However, used as a mono speaker you loose the most precious value in terms of sound stage accuracy. The point source design of this speaker produces in pair a superb and precise sound stage combined with natural and full range spectrum, which gives you a reproduction quality I have seldomly heard from other systems in the 5k€ prize range.
I strongly recommend to buy them as a pair with dialog to be able to enjoy all design advantages.
(25-Jun-2015, 11:22)fgueho Wrote: ONE WORD : NO (or MAYBE or NOT YET).

For 80% of your time, it will be okay.
For 20% of your time, with movies, if your sources are anything else than a HTPC, there will be a delay between audio and video. Beware, and wait. Like me.

No lip sync issues whatsoever. I stream from PS3 (from Amazon, Netflix etc) and it works perfectly. Big Grin Big Grin
(25-Jun-2015, 22:46)stonedragon Wrote: No lip sync issues whatsoever. I stream from PS3 (from Amazon, Netflix etc) and it works perfectly.  Big Grin  Big Grin

Really ?!? Since when ?

I have tested 2 weeks ago with a bluray and it was not in sync.
(26-Jun-2015, 09:22)fgueho Wrote:
(25-Jun-2015, 22:46)stonedragon Wrote: No lip sync issues whatsoever. I stream from PS3 (from Amazon, Netflix etc) and it works perfectly.  Big Grin  Big Grin

Really ?!? Since when ?

I have tested 2 weeks ago with a bluray and it was not in sync.

Yes Really. No kidding. I Play frm my Playstation and I am a little bemused by the lipsync issues people have reported. I simply don't get any. I have not tried BluRay, but streaming from Amazon, Netflix and Now do present any kind of issues.

Perhaps I'm just luck Wink Wink
Very strange... Maybe you just don't have good ears. Smile

(i'm kidding)
Thanks all for the answers! I would be streaming netflix but could try to wire it when watching movies... now I have an apple TV plugged into the projector and a airport express for the speakers, for netflix it is OK but for streaming from an app from the Ipad it does not work that smooth as well and I end up wiring it...

My big concern is about loosing the stero by changing to a 1 speaker only... Do any of you have only 1? And in this, how good is it?
(26-Jun-2015, 13:22)jmd77 Wrote: My big concern is about loosing the stero by changing to a 1 speaker only... Do any of you have only 1? And in this, how good is it?

It is okay. But not as good as a true stereo setup with 2 phantoms.
You can buy one. And start saving for a second one, that you can add later. That would be my recommendation, if you really want this system.